Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Walk-Away Locking.. faulty or normal?

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    That's definitely 'a move'. I don't think I've ever seen anyone get out of a car that way, which is why I am even commenting on it. It's like you're trying to look 'cool'.... not saying that's why you do it but I gotta' admit... it IS kind of cool. hahaha :P
    You step out and don't even look back and throw the door closed? Most people at least IME, get out of the car and close the door while facing at and / or at least looking at, the car.

And this is why I don't design products for the masses... there's always a few people that do things differently that somehow screw up your plans. lol
    That's no "move", 7. I see people do that all the time. I always used to do it. Too old and slow now. Maybe you, too, eh?

Registered Member

CX-5 GT

So, I'd ask this again, can anyone produce a use case for the above scenario? When the car does not lock itself if there is no key in range when the door closes? Why would the key be involved in auto-LOCKING the doors?

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    That's no "move", 7. I see people do that all the time. I always used to do it. Too old and slow now. Maybe you, too, eh?
    Lol...nope. oldER...not slow yet. It's an easy enough move. And I'm old enough to know and have know a lot of people. Can't recall ever seeing someone do that. I'm going to be watching people now, though! LOL
    Someone back me up here?

Quote Originally Posted by yugrus View Post
    So, I'd ask this again, can anyone produce a use case for the above scenario?
    Use case: cleaning my car. I don't want the doors to lock every time I close a door.
    Why would the key be involved in auto-LOCKING the doors?
    So it won't lock when I'm cleaning my car.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

The real question is: why shouldn't it lock automatically after, say, 30 seconds if there is no key present. It does so even if the key is present after 30 seconds.

'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

So, I'd ask this again, can anyone produce a use case for the above scenario? When the car does not lock itself if there is no key in range when the door closes? Why would the key be involved in auto-LOCKING the doors?
    Because the signal the key fob/transponder is sending to the CX-5. If not in range, CX-5 won't auto lock. Pure and simple
    Recent Vehicle History:

'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L in Sonic Silver (2018-)
    '15 Mazda 6 Touring GJ Series II Sedan 2.5L in Sonic Silver (2015-2018)
    '08 Mazda 3 Maxx Sport BK Series II Sedan 2.0L in Champagne (Family)
    '06 GM Holden Calais VZ Series II Sedan 3.6L in Quicksilver (2006-2015)

Registered Member

CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Xeler8ing View Post
    Because the signal the key fob/transponder is sending to the CX-5. If not in range, CX-5 won't auto lock. Pure and simple
    Ok, I get the technicalities, I'm electronic engineer by education. I'm jus wonder why. Why the signal from the key is necessary to make a lock decision?
    Last edited by yugrus; 07-11-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Registered Member

CX-5 GT

Use case: cleaning my car. I don't want the doors to lock every time I close a door.

So it won't lock when I'm cleaning my car.
    Once you are by the rear door, it will lock regardless. Or by the hood, and so on. Better to leave the key inside.

Ok, I get the technicalities, I'm electronic engineer by education. I'm jus wonder why. Why the signal from the key is necessary to make a lock decision?
    Because if there is no signal to recognise the valid key fob/transponder then the vehicle will not know to lock be it auto-lock or pressing a button on doors/tailgate and also for unlocking.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Xeler8ing View Post
    Because if there is no signal to recognise the valid key fob/transponder then the vehicle will not know to lock be it auto-lock or pressing a button on doors/tailgate and also for unlocking.
    Well, in this case if the vehicle doesn't know what to do and there's nobody around to help, would it not be more logical to lock a hell out of everything, sit tight and pretend you're not a car at all?

Well, in this case if the vehicle doesn't know what to do and there's nobody around to help, would it not be more logical to lock a hell out of everything, sit tight and pretend you're not a car at all?
    Because then people will complain it locks straight away when say you've shut the front door and you are going to go to the back door to get your child out and similar scenarios. Could cause unknown panic to parents, children etc.

This is the compromise solution.

It works as intended. Just people don't appear to know how to use the function perhaps....

If it is all too hard, just turn off the functionality via MZD connect.

Problem/issue solved.
    Last edited by Xeler8ing; 07-11-2018 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Typo Fix

Registered Member

CX-5 GT

It locks as soon as you get to rear door anyway, so this scenario is not applicable. If you have to do your business in the rear seat frequently, the existing design doesn't work anyway.
    Besides, in this case you still have your key present, don't you?
    So, anything else?
    Last edited by yugrus; 07-11-2018 at 06:07 PM.

It locks as soon as you get to rear door anyway, so this scenario is not applicable. If you have to do your business in the rear seat frequently, the existing design doesn't work anyway. So, anything else?
    No it doesn't. I've closed the rear tailgate, stepped away slightly (I don't "hug" the CX-5 so as to negate arming), it arms then I've gone to the drivers door and got in and the second beep/chirp for locking hasn't kicked in.
    Last edited by Xeler8ing; 07-11-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Agree it doesn't. Got home today, exited the driver's side, walked around to the passenger rear door talking to my son in the back seat. It didn't lock for 30 seconds.

Agree it doesn't. Got home today, exited the driver's side, walked around to the passenger rear door talking to my son in the back seat. It didn't lock for 30 seconds.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast