Walk-Away Locking.. faulty or normal?

That's definitely 'a move'. I don't think I've ever seen anyone get out of a car that way, which is why I am even commenting on it. It's like you're trying to look 'cool'.... not saying that's why you do it but I gotta' admit... it IS kind of cool. hahaha :p
You step out and don't even look back and throw the door closed? Most people at least IME, get out of the car and close the door while facing at and / or at least looking at, the car.

And this is why I don't design products for the masses... there's always a few people that do things differently that somehow screw up your plans. lol

That's no "move", 7. I see people do that all the time. I always used to do it. Too old and slow now. Maybe you, too, eh? ;)

So, I'd ask this again, can anyone produce a use case for the above scenario? When the car does not lock itself if there is no key in range when the door closes? Why would the key be involved in auto-LOCKING the doors?

That's no "move", 7. I see people do that all the time. I always used to do it. Too old and slow now. Maybe you, too, eh? ;)
Lol...nope. oldER...not slow yet. It's an easy enough move. And I'm old enough to know and have know a lot of people. Can't recall ever seeing someone do that. I'm going to be watching people now, though! LOL
Someone back me up here? [emoji1]

So, I'd ask this again, can anyone produce a use case for the above scenario?
Use case: cleaning my car. I don't want the doors to lock every time I close a door.
Why would the key be involved in auto-LOCKING the doors?
So it won't lock when I'm cleaning my car. :D

The real question is: why shouldn't it lock automatically after, say, 30 seconds if there is no key present. It does so even if the key is present after 30 seconds.

So, I'd ask this again, can anyone produce a use case for the above scenario? When the car does not lock itself if there is no key in range when the door closes? Why would the key be involved in auto-LOCKING the doors?

Because the signal the key fob/transponder is sending to the CX-5. If not in range, CX-5 won't auto lock. Pure and simple

Because the signal the key fob/transponder is sending to the CX-5. If not in range, CX-5 won't auto lock. Pure and simple
Ok, I get the technicalities, I'm electronic engineer by education. I'm jus wonder why. Why the signal from the key is necessary to make a lock decision?

Last edited:
Use case: cleaning my car. I don't want the doors to lock every time I close a door.

So it won't lock when I'm cleaning my car. :D
Once you are by the rear door, it will lock regardless. Or by the hood, and so on. Better to leave the key inside.

Ok, I get the technicalities, I'm electronic engineer by education. I'm jus wonder why. Why the signal from the key is necessary to make a lock decision?

Because if there is no signal to recognise the valid key fob/transponder then the vehicle will not know to lock be it auto-lock or pressing a button on doors/tailgate and also for unlocking.

Because if there is no signal to recognise the valid key fob/transponder then the vehicle will not know to lock be it auto-lock or pressing a button on doors/tailgate and also for unlocking.
Well, in this case if the vehicle doesn't know what to do and there's nobody around to help, would it not be more logical to lock a hell out of everything, sit tight and pretend you're not a car at all?

Well, in this case if the vehicle doesn't know what to do and there's nobody around to help, would it not be more logical to lock a hell out of everything, sit tight and pretend you're not a car at all?

Because then people will complain it locks straight away when say you've shut the front door and you are going to go to the back door to get your child out and similar scenarios. Could cause unknown panic to parents, children etc.

This is the compromise solution.

It works as intended. Just people don't appear to know how to use the function perhaps....

If it is all too hard, just turn off the functionality via MZD connect.

Problem/issue solved.

Last edited:
It locks as soon as you get to rear door anyway, so this scenario is not applicable. If you have to do your business in the rear seat frequently, the existing design doesn't work anyway.
Besides, in this case you still have your key present, don't you?
So, anything else?

Last edited:
It locks as soon as you get to rear door anyway, so this scenario is not applicable. If you have to do your business in the rear seat frequently, the existing design doesn't work anyway. So, anything else?

No it doesn't. I've closed the rear tailgate, stepped away slightly (I don't "hug" the CX-5 so as to negate arming), it arms then I've gone to the drivers door and got in and the second beep/chirp for locking hasn't kicked in.

Last edited:
Agree it doesn't. Got home today, exited the driver's side, walked around to the passenger rear door talking to my son in the back seat. It didn't lock for 30 seconds.

No it doesn't. I've closed the rear tailgate, stepped away slightly (I don't "hug" the CX-5 so as to negate arming), it arms then I've gone to the drivers door and got in and the second beep/chirp for locking hasn't kicked in.
Ok, I guess our car is slightly different. So why do you have to get to the driver's door to get it to locked in your case? You do whatever you have to at the trunk or rear door. Then you step away. No key in sight, and the car does what? Nothing? Should be locked as soon as you close either door.

Ok, I guess our car is slightly different. So why do you have to get to the driver's door to get it to locked in your case? You do whatever you have to at the trunk or rear door. Then you step away. No key in sight, and the car does what? Nothing? Should be locked as soon as you close either door.

Sorry for the confusion.. I don't get to the door to lock it. I was merely mentioning I place something in the boot, shut it (I watch it to make sure it closes properly - still getting used to power operated tailgate), then go to enter my vehicle to drive off and whilst I am moving to the door, it will arm itself. I open the door, get in and the car has not locked. If I however shut the tailgate, watch it close, it self arms and then I walk away, the CX-5 will auto lock.

Besides if worse comes to worse, there are 3 buttons on the CX-5 to lock it if needed.

As mentioned, the key is needed as it is sending commands to the relevant module. If no key, then no command. Besides if you don't have the key, chances are the CX-5 won't start or if it does, won't go that far as the key is needed.

If you drive away without the key, nothing stops you. You can drive until the tank runs dry. But when you shut it off.....

Nope. Very few (none that I know of) "keyless cars" do that. My Volvo is the same but it doesn't stop beeping at you. That might be annoying enough to make a thief abandon the Volvo. LOL

Back