Walk-Away Locking.. faulty or normal?

I don't think it's an issue at all. They've set some limitations on the system. One is you need to be in range and have the key fob/transponder with you. Probably for the majority of owners, it works fine

I'm all for limitations for users. But why? That's my question.

Maybe contact your dealer first, if not then Mazda North America HQ or even Mazda Japan HQ and find out why if it is bugging you that much.

Mine is spotty, too. All of the doors must be closed "properly" for the closed door sensor to activate. There is no sensor near the front of the car. Walking around the front will cause a lock. There is a sensor in the rear; walk around the back of the car to prevent auto lock. My cell phone interferes with the lock/unlock signals, keep it in another pocket/place.

Trick: If you are near the car anyone can open any door that has an unlock button. To prevent this, at least partially open the driver's door. None of the other doors will unlock/open, preventing unauthorized entry through another door.

My keys spend much of thier life here. Your method is going to screw me over frequently.
154dca672390e5ec86a150122c434df0.jpg

Cleveland must be a low car crime area? In my neck of the woods (Seattle) your CX5 would be gone in a flash. Dozens of cars are stolen every day.

Well you can't blanket the entire city as having the same crimes everywhere. There are many safe neighborhoods and some not so safe. For many years if you worked for the safety forces you had to live in Cleveland proper. That's no longer the case but there are still a lot of police and firefighters in my neighborhood. I live next door to a Detective.

Last edited:
I understand that. There are a lot of variables. Since the area I live in has two major ports, a lot of stolen vehicles end up overseas. LA is another example.

Incidentally, the port of Tacoma is a major Mazda entry port along with many other foreign makes.

Related question. 2018 Touring. Walk away feature is off, did factory reset. No matter how I lock the car the lift gate will open if I have the key on me. All the doors will not open. The key has to be out of range for the lift gate to lock, as close as on the hood. If I approach the car with key, doors stay locked, but I can open the lift gate. I want the lift gate to test locked when I have the key on me.

Related question. 2018 Touring. Walk away feature is off, did factory reset. No matter how I lock the car the lift gate will open if I have the key on me. All the doors will not open. The key has to be out of range for the lift gate to lock, as close as on the hood. If I approach the car with key, doors stay locked, but I can open the lift gate. I want the lift gate to test locked when I have the key on me.
This is a normal functioning. You press the button while having a key, and the hutch opens. It doesn't open when you don't have a key while pressing the button. What seems to be a problem then? How else would you open the hatch while having a key to test what you're looking for?

Maybe I didn't explain it properly. I lock the car. Key in pocket. Try doors, locked. Try rear hatch, it opens. I don't want it to open until I push a button. I put key out of range, hatch locked. Go away, approach car, try doors, locked, try hatch and it opens. No buttons pressed. Hatch responds to key location only, not buttons.
So I want to lock the car and try all doors, including the rear hatch, with key in pocket and they will be locked. Can't do it because rear hatch always opens.

Automatic locking after leaving vehicle

My car doesnt always automatically lock after I walk away from the vehicle. It seems if I stay in the car for a short time after I turn off the engine then when I leave it doesnt lock. Does anyone have any advice to make sure that it will lock every time? I did ask the dealer and he said maybe the battery of my key fob needs changing, but I did that and it doesnt make any difference. Thank you.

Walk-away locking is one of my favorite CX-5 features. Mine works flawlessly as long as I wait to walk away until all doors are closed.

Last edited:
My car doesn*t always automatically lock after I walk away from the vehicle. It seems if I stay in the car for a short time after I turn off the engine then when I leave it doesn*t lock. Does anyone have any advice to make sure that it will lock every time? I did ask the dealer and he said maybe the battery of my key fob needs changing, but I did that and it doesn*t make any difference. Thank you.

As you exit the vehicle, stay next to it until it beeps the first time. Then when you walk away, the second beep should sound and the CX-5 should lock.

This Walk-Away Locking feature on CX-5 is not guaranteed working thats for sure. Mine works about 80%~90% of the time, which makes me slowing down and paying attention to the beeps while Im walking away. If yours works only 50% of the time you should bring it up to your dealers attention.

Ditto, exactly the same here, 80 - 90 % of the time it works, just gotta listen for the beeps.

Back