Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Walk-Away Locking.. faulty or normal?

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Xeler8ing View Post
    No it doesn't. I've closed the rear tailgate, stepped away slightly (I don't "hug" the CX-5 so as to negate arming), it arms then I've gone to the drivers door and got in and the second beep/chirp for locking hasn't kicked in.
    Ok, I guess our car is slightly different. So why do you have to get to the driver's door to get it to locked in your case? You do whatever you have to at the trunk or rear door. Then you step away. No key in sight, and the car does what? Nothing? Should be locked as soon as you close either door.

'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by yugrus View Post
    Ok, I guess our car is slightly different. So why do you have to get to the driver's door to get it to locked in your case? You do whatever you have to at the trunk or rear door. Then you step away. No key in sight, and the car does what? Nothing? Should be locked as soon as you close either door.
    Sorry for the confusion.. I don't get to the door to lock it. I was merely mentioning I place something in the boot, shut it (I watch it to make sure it closes properly - still getting used to power operated tailgate), then go to enter my vehicle to drive off and whilst I am moving to the door, it will arm itself. I open the door, get in and the car has not locked. If I however shut the tailgate, watch it close, it self arms and then I walk away, the CX-5 will auto lock.

Besides if worse comes to worse, there are 3 buttons on the CX-5 to lock it if needed.

As mentioned, the key is needed as it is sending commands to the relevant module. If no key, then no command. Besides if you don't have the key, chances are the CX-5 won't start or if it does, won't go that far as the key is needed.
    Recent Vehicle History:

'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L in Sonic Silver (2018-)
    '15 Mazda 6 Touring GJ Series II Sedan 2.5L in Sonic Silver (2015-2018)
    '08 Mazda 3 Maxx Sport BK Series II Sedan 2.0L in Champagne (Family)
    '06 GM Holden Calais VZ Series II Sedan 3.6L in Quicksilver (2006-2015)

If you drive away without the key, nothing stops you. You can drive until the tank runs dry. But when you shut it off.....

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    If you drive away without the key, nothing stops you. You can drive until the tank runs dry. But when you shut it off.....
    I thought it actually will "konk out" because it can't find the key....
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Nope. Very few (none that I know of) "keyless cars" do that. My Volvo is the same but it doesn't stop beeping at you. That might be annoying enough to make a thief abandon the Volvo. LOL
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

CX-5 GT

I still don't get a point of the key being required to LOCK. Forget unlocking or driving off with no key.
    Close your trunk/boot. Do whatever else you need. But if there is no key around, and all doors are closed, the car must be shut.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Wish my other cars had this feature... correct me if I have forgotten a post but I don't remember the last time this feature failed me.
    PATREON SUPPORTER

NB1 Navigation Updates (1011 NEW-6/2018) / Why Mazda moly oil? - Mazda TSBs / Mazda owners manuals / SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

==================
    Current Vehicles:

'15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package & i-ACTIV AWD - Liquid Silver Metallic (04/2014 build-07/2014 delivery) - 43K Miles
    '12 Lexus GX 460 Premium (Toyota Land Cruiser Prado Kakadu 150) BOF / Torsen with ATRAC AWD/MTS/Crawl Control - 48K miles
    '07 Infiniti G35x w/tech (Nissan Skyline V36) / ATTESA E-TS AWD - 95K miles
    '00 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L TJ - 5 speed / NP231 PT Transfer Case - 120K miles

I still don't get a point of the key being required to LOCK. Forget unlocking or driving off with no key.
    I don't know. Maybe because I don't want my car locked 100% of the time. Camping in the woods, no one around, I don't need it locked. I don't need my family asking me for the key every time they need something. Some times you just don't want your car locked.
    Btw, CRV works exactly the same.

Registered Member

CX-5 GT

Nice feature, just somewhat flawed design.

Registered Member

CX-5 GT

I don't know. Maybe because I don't want my car locked 100% of the time. Camping in the woods, no one around, I don't need it locked. I don't need my family asking me for the key every time they need something. Some times you just don't want your car locked.
    Btw, CRV works exactly the same.
    Well then, you keep your car unlocked. Many ways to do it. But the feature's name is auto-LOCK.
    Last edited by yugrus; 07-11-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Nope. Very few (none that I know of) "keyless cars" do that. My Volvo is the same but it doesn't stop beeping at you. That might be annoying enough to make a thief abandon the Volvo. LOL
    I see..

For some people it's a flawed design, to others it works as intended
    Last edited by Xeler8ing; 07-11-2018 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Typo Fix

Well then, you keep your car unlocked. Many ways to do it. But the feature's name is auto-LOCK.
    I think we just stumbled on it.
    That's probably EXACTLY why it does need the key. How else WOULD it work? Any time the doors are closed, it locks? So you unlock with the fob from a distance...it then airocks again because the doors are closed? Ok so let's program it to not auto lock when you use the fob....hmmm...that's going to cause more issues, I think. By gum, I think we've got it!

Registered Member

CX-5 GT

It's easier then that. After last door is closed with engine off, lock the whole thing. Key or no key on sight. You may give it few seconds. I just don't know what for.

Some people forget/are lazy to lock the door. Hence the auto-lock feature....

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast