New 2018 CX-5 Vibration at Highway Speeds

Roadforce improved but still vibration.

Swapped tires with loaner they gave me that was smooth. Still bit of vibration.

They happened to give me a 2018 cx5 as loaner. That one was smooth on same roads.

Frustrated.
Get them to check suspension and steering joints

The chances of it leaving the factory with defective steering or suspension is almost zero. How many miles were on it when you got it?

The chances of it leaving the factory with defective steering or suspension is almost zero. How many miles were on it when you got it?

Is each new vehicle road tested to an extent that would reveal a failure like this?

98 miles on the cock when we took delivery. In fact the vibration is worse with the swapped tires.

Yes but how many miles were on the CX-5?

Kidding aside... That is a bit high miles for a new car. Where are you located?

Is each new vehicle road tested to an extent that would reveal a failure like this?

No, they do a brake test, then a rolling road test to make sure everything works then a rain test and that’s about it but all the components are quality controlled and so is the assembly. It’s not impossible for something to be wrong but highly unlikely. What is very likely is that somebody bounced it off a curb during the first 98 miles because they don’t get delivered to the dealer with that kind of mileage.

98 miles on the cock when we took delivery. In fact the vibration is worse with the swapped tires.

I’m sure you mean 98 on the clock :). As above, the only time we ever hear of post delivery problems is when they leave the dealer with something more than delivery mileage - typically 10-12 miles. I know the wheels have been balanced but I would want it on a lift and spin the rear wheels if you can feel it your butt. That would suggest rear so I would check the tyres are round (they sometimes get a flat or a wobble if they have been struck where the structure has been ruptured). If you are confident that all four wheels wheels are dead true then you need to be looking at installed run out which means brake discs or anything else that rotates. If it only does it between 60 and 70 there is a harmonic imbalance going on. If it’s an all wheel drive you should be able to get it all spinning on a wheel free lift and you will see it. If it’s a front wheel drive (I’m guessing because you never said) you should get the front up to 70 and the rear is easy. Spin them by hand and make sure everything is round and check if you turn them the stay where they are and don’t always rotate under their own weight to a heavy spot.

The dealer should do all this but here’s the thing. If they send a part back to Mazda that has been struck, Mazda will kick it out and they will have to pay or you will. Given that choice, they’ll fook you about until you get weary and just accept it. Scare them and tell them you want your money back or a swap for a delivery mileage vehicle. Dig in and don’t back down.

Almost zero but still possible but I was actually coming from the view of might have hit some sort of defect in the road that has loosened something and best to get it checked.

Roadforce improved but still vibration.

Swapped tires with loaner they gave me that was smooth. Still bit of vibration.

They happened to give me a 2018 cx5 as loaner. That one was smooth on same roads.

Frustrated.
Sorry to hear your problem. Is your new 2018 CX-5 an AWD? If it is, your vibration could be from out-of-balance (front-to-rear) propeller drive shaft.

Last edited:
I had a weird vibration in my 2017 yesterday but it was when I was slowly moving after lifting my foot from the break coming from a stop. i could replicate it just by inching off the brake and when my car moved forward it would vibrate--i could feel it on the seat and in the steering wheel. it wasn't a forceful vibration but definitely noticeable. after I drove a quarter mile home I tried stopping and replicating and I could not. weird.

Yikes, what a typo!

I have Touring AWD 2018 CX-5 in MA.

I agree the 98 miles were high. The interesting thing is we test drove this vehicle brand new a couple months before we purchased it. It had the plastic on it everywhere and single digit miles on the odometer. I didnt notice the 98 miles until after, very unfortunate mistake on my part.

It's going back to the dealer today. Have informed them this is the 5th time and will resort to lemon law if not fixed within 7 business days. Dealer has been very professional and willing. Hopefully it gets resolved.

Almost zero but still possible but I was actually coming from the view of might have hit some sort of defect in the road that has loosened something and best to get it checked.

The roads between the factory and the ship are of a known quality and unless they go to a yard at the import centre, getting them to the dealer is usually pretty consistent. However, add another 80 miles of the sales reps ragging the backside out of them and potential buyers who aren’t used to the width as well as seeing what the 0-60 is like and then you start to accumulate risk.

Yikes, what a typo!

I have Touring AWD 2018 CX-5 in MA.

I agree the 98 miles were high. The interesting thing is we test drove this vehicle brand new a couple months before we purchased it. It had the plastic on it everywhere and single digit miles on the odometer. I didnt notice the 98 miles until after, very unfortunate mistake on my part.

It's going back to the dealer today. Have informed them this is the 5th time and will resort to lemon law if not fixed within 7 business days. Dealer has been very professional and willing. Hopefully it gets resolved.

Keep in mind if it’s an AWD that there is a prop shaft down the length of the car too. That is right under your seat but even that should be visible if they run it up on a lift. I’ve got the most badly treated rental here with 10k on it and it is silky smooth. Something definitely off with yours. Good luck.

My guess is that something happened either during transportation or on a test drive. Hit a curb or a big hole or something.

I have the same issue. 2017 FWD GT. Car seemed fine at delivery, but didn't get it above 60ish. After a few weeks I started noticing a pretty significant vibration and the wheel would physically vibrate anywhere between 55-70mph if I took my hands off. Brought it in, they road force balanced it and it was still there. Then they swapped the wheels/tires with another brand new CX-5 that had just arrived and it did nothing. That point they the dealer said nothing more could be done, so I initiated a lemon law complaint. They got their final attempt and even the Mazda corporate rep who rode with me took 30 seconds to say it wasn't normal. They had the car for a week checking everything but in the end couldn't find anything wrong and re-balanced the tires yet again. That improved it at the time probably 90% where the wheel wasn't shaking anymore but you could still feel a general vibration in the car. Went back to Mazda about it and they basically said they believe it to be normal and "road feel" and that was the end of it. I notice it most in the mirror visors which vibrate and which my old CX-5 never did. Meanwhile when they had my car I had a 2016 loaner that was much smoother overall.

Anyways, it ended up coming back, so I wondered if the new Toyos they started using were worse then the old ones, so I actually dumped the Toyos with 10k miles on them and got the Pirelli Cinturatos. Another slight improvement but it's still there just a little bit. I actually had the dealer service my car recently and they rebalanced the tires then and the vibration came back in full force, so I took it to an independent shop that had a Hunter machine and per them 3 of the 4 wheels had to be completely broken down and rebalanced. Back to about 90% fixed but still a little vibration.

I'm at a loss for what it could be. Multiple techs have said it's nothing in the suspension system that they can tell, brakes seem ok, and the independent shop said the wheels/tires are checking out ok on the Hunter machine. I have noticed that my wheels do have a pretty high number of weights on them. One has 17! I know in this new generation CX-5 they went to a rigid mount for the steering rack and are relying more on the dampening in the suspension (hence one reason for the fluid filled bushings) so I wonder if that has something to do with it if the car hits a certain harmonic frequency or something. I also have issues with the clunking/creaking suspension and had that taken care of per the TSB but it didn't go away.

Overall I'm pretty turned off with the 2017 and kind of wish I had just kept the 2014 I had. I'd trade off less road noise and extra features to go back to the old ride.

Wow that sounds awful.

And having a 2014, guess I am glad I am keeping it.

Car is fixed. Props to the crew over at Patrick Mazda in MA.

Took them on a test drive in my car. Confirmed vibration even after they've roadforce balanced and swapped on the tires from a loaner that was very smooth on highway. Service manager suggested taking never before driven CX5 for test drive to confirm a vehicle that was riding to my satisfaction. Once identified, we'd try those brand new wheels and tires on my vehicle.

First car we took with 12 miles on the odometer and the factory plastic protection still on had worse vibration than my vehicle. Service manager felt that vehicle was "normal" but insisted we keep trying until I was satisfied. The second car, also brand new, I knew instantly was much better. Put those new wheels and tires on my car. Problem gone.

Dealership crew was really patient, never gave me a hard time, kept saying we will work until I'm satisfied. I had to go back and forth a few times over the last 4 weeks. That was sub optimal but they did what they could. Always gave me a loaner, never questioned or denied the issue. They even dropped off and picked up vehicles at our work place. They provided excellent service to rectify the issue. They are one of the good ones for sure.

I have the same issue. 2017 FWD GT. Car seemed fine at delivery, but didn't get it above 60ish. After a few weeks I started noticing a pretty significant vibration and the wheel would physically vibrate anywhere between 55-70mph if I took my hands off. Brought it in, they road force balanced it and it was still there. Then they swapped the wheels/tires with another brand new CX-5 that had just arrived and it did nothing. That point they the dealer said nothing more could be done, so I initiated a lemon law complaint. They got their final attempt and even the Mazda corporate rep who rode with me took 30 seconds to say it wasn't normal. They had the car for a week checking everything but in the end couldn't find anything wrong and re-balanced the tires yet again. That improved it at the time probably 90% where the wheel wasn't shaking anymore but you could still feel a general vibration in the car. Went back to Mazda about it and they basically said they believe it to be normal and "road feel" and that was the end of it. I notice it most in the mirror visors which vibrate and which my old CX-5 never did. Meanwhile when they had my car I had a 2016 loaner that was much smoother overall.

Anyways, it ended up coming back, so I wondered if the new Toyos they started using were worse then the old ones, so I actually dumped the Toyos with 10k miles on them and got the Pirelli Cinturatos. Another slight improvement but it's still there just a little bit. I actually had the dealer service my car recently and they rebalanced the tires then and the vibration came back in full force, so I took it to an independent shop that had a Hunter machine and per them 3 of the 4 wheels had to be completely broken down and rebalanced. Back to about 90% fixed but still a little vibration.

I'm at a loss for what it could be. Multiple techs have said it's nothing in the suspension system that they can tell, brakes seem ok, and the independent shop said the wheels/tires are checking out ok on the Hunter machine. I have noticed that my wheels do have a pretty high number of weights on them. One has 17! I know in this new generation CX-5 they went to a rigid mount for the steering rack and are relying more on the dampening in the suspension (hence one reason for the fluid filled bushings) so I wonder if that has something to do with it if the car hits a certain harmonic frequency or something. I also have issues with the clunking/creaking suspension and had that taken care of per the TSB but it didn't go away.

Overall I'm pretty turned off with the 2017 and kind of wish I had just kept the 2014 I had. I'd trade off less road noise and extra features to go back to the old ride.

So what happened with the lemon law thing. I thought that entitled you to an exchange car? I can see you are dissatisfied with yours but the fact is, most are as good as gold. This thing outside my door (pause while I go get on my hands and knees to see if it’s a girl or a boy - fwd or awd)..........

.....it’s a girl (fwd) is amazingly smooth and quiet despite it being cruelly treated.

Back