New 2018 CX-5 Vibration at Highway Speeds

Recently picked up 2018 Touring CX-5. Noticed vibration between 60-75 MPH on highway. Present even on freshly paved highways, just coasting, accelerating, up and downhill. Dealer re-balanced the wheels and it improved. However, vibration is still present. I've asked them to do a roadforce balance but they do not have the machine. I could look into a different dealer that has it, but do not have super high hopes.

Does anyone other 2017/2018 owner have this issue? Were you able to get it resolved?

Recently picked up 2018 Touring CX-5. Noticed vibration between 60-75 MPH on highway. Present even on freshly paved highways, just coasting, accelerating, up and downhill. Dealer re-balanced the wheels and it improved. However, vibration is still present. I've asked them to do a roadforce balance but they do not have the machine. I could look into a different dealer that has it, but do not have super high hopes.

Does anyone other 2017/2018 owner have this issue? Were you able to get it resolved?

Vibrations from what part of the vehicle? Can you tell?

I've owned mine since early/mid May and I've hit 68-75mph (75mph whilst overtaking) on the motorway and no vibrations here.

Are you feeling it through the steering wheel or generally throughout your cabin (uhm)

If balance didn't solve it, it could easily be a defective tire.
Rotate front to back, both sides, and see if that makes a difference.

I drove my wife's 2018 CX5 Touring for the first time today. And noticed a vibration on the highway and a different one when stopping from 60 mph.

Spin it up on the balancer and check visually for out-of-roundness. Back in the day, I worked at an old-school tire shop, and we could spin it up to balance on the car- that was the ultimate balance, but it took more time.

I can tell they put new weights on 2 of the 4 tires after doing the wheel balance. It's definitely much improved. Used to feel it everywhere including through the steering wheel. Now, steering wheel is ok, but I feel the vibration through the seat. I can also see my phone shaking a bit in it's holder that's mounted to the windshield.

Car is very smooth from 0-~55 MPH. I worry about this because in my old mazda3, motor mounts went out, all 4 struts, replaced the control arms, and the sway bar links. Car had only 110,000 "easy": miles on it when we finally dumped it. Hoping to avoid that costly headache this time around.

Bad balance [usually] and a bad tire [often] are not noticeable at lower speeds.
Did they balance all four, or just the one's they put weights on? And if the latter, were they the fronts?

I can tell they put new weights on 2 of the 4 tires after doing the wheel balance. It's definitely much improved. Used to feel it everywhere including through the steering wheel. Now, steering wheel is ok, but I feel the vibration through the seat. I can also see my phone shaking a bit in it's holder that's mounted to the windshield.

Car is very smooth from 0-~55 MPH. I worry about this because in my old mazda3, motor mounts went out, all 4 struts, replaced the control arms, and the sway bar links. Car had only 110,000 "easy": miles on it when we finally dumped it. Hoping to avoid that costly headache this time around.

Then it sounds like a possible suspension issue to me if the steering is fine

Last edited:
They balanced all 4 according to the work order. I just double checked the wheels, I can see new weights on all 4 wheels.

Too bad you can't know if they rotated (or did they?). If they DID rotate, and you previously felt the vibration in the wheel, and now you feel it in the seat, that suggests a bad tire that is now on the rear.

Best way to rule out the wheels/tires is to swap them out with another set. OP, do you have a set of winters you can temporarily swap on or see if the dealership have a pair of new take offs they can put on to test.

Tires could have a loose belt or there could be an out of round situation. A Hunter Road Force balance would be able to tell for sure and that may be the option as first suggested. The Dealership's tire balance machine could also be out of calibration. Too many variables to account for.

If balance didn't solve it, it could easily be a defective tire.
Rotate front to back, both sides, and see if that makes a difference.

Yep, if you have a tire that is out of round, not uncommon, then balancing probably won't resolve the issue.

The dealer is waiting to hear back from Mazda to decide on next steps. I think they are trying to get approval to pay a third party tire store to check the balance.

I do not believe the tires were rotated during the balance as it's not on the work order.

The dealer is waiting to hear back from Mazda to decide on next steps. I think they are trying to get approval to pay a third party tire store to check the balance.

I do not believe the tires were rotated during the balance as it's not on the work order.

have they checked the wheels?
I had the same problem but on my 3. shaking at highway speeds felt in cabin. it was a bent wheel.

hope the problem gets resolved soon!

Why don't you just take it to the tire store, get them to look and provide a report then take that to the dealer for rectification.

Out of round can be checked at home. Jack up a wheel and rig up a pointer, like a pencil taped to jack stand or what ever you can manage. Set the pointer to be near the the outer diameter of the tire and spin the tire by hand slowly and watch the gap between the pointer and the tire.

I'd do a road-force as well and give dealer the bill. I think DT charges around $20 for each tire.

Roadforce improved but still vibration.

Swapped tires with loaner they gave me that was smooth. Still bit of vibration.

They happened to give me a 2018 cx5 as loaner. That one was smooth on same roads.

Frustrated.

Latest posts

Back