Model 2018 - GT w/ Tech - Cracked windshield (bang)

It's actually very rare for an insurance company in the US to replace broken glass for free. 99% of the time the deductible will be higher than the cost to replace the broken glass. I understand some insurance companies have offer an option to have glass replaced "for free", but it still involves paying an addition fees on your insurance premium (not free).

Most of them will cover chip repair for free if you've got comprehensive. They'd rather pay for that than a replacement, which most untreated chips lead to.
That's why it's good to have low comprehensive deductible. As CD mentioned, it's often well worth it.

It's actually very rare for an insurance company in the US to replace broken glass for free. 99% of the time the deductible will be higher than the cost to replace the broken glass. I understand some insurance companies have offer an option to have glass replaced "for free", but it still involves paying an addition fees on your insurance premium (not free).

In the state of MA its free. No deductible. The crack has to exceed a certain length though

Safelite.......Hmmm the body shop up the street from me that I have known for 30 plus years have warned me against using Safelite. Why? installation method, they scrap the old rubber sealing glue from the frame with a blade type tool and it takes the paint with it, exposing the metal to corrosion. They cover that with new glue and plant the windshield, operating theory is that the glue is just as good as paint that they removed. Until the salt brine seeps behind the glue and your windshield frame rusts. Now this is a long term event, but the body shop pointed this out to me when I had to get my Xterra ws frame repaired from rust that cracked the windshield. I had Safelite look at the cracked windshield and they refused to do the windshield replacement, so off to the body shop that did the job, fixed the ws frame and painted, then set the windshield.

Safelite.......Hmmm the body shop up the street from me that I have known for 30 plus years have warned me against using Safelite. Why? installation method, they scrap the old rubber sealing glue from the frame with a blade type tool and it takes the paint with it, exposing the metal to corrosion. They cover that with new glue and plant the windshield, operating theory is that the glue is just as good as paint that they removed. Until the salt brine seeps behind the glue and your windshield frame rusts. Now this is a long term event, but the body shop pointed this out to me when I had to get my Xterra ws frame repaired from rust that cracked the windshield. I had Safelite look at the cracked windshield and they refused to do the windshield replacement, so off to the body shop that did the job, fixed the ws frame and painted, then set the windshield.

Yeah, I heard this too. I used a local glass shop for my replacement. Though I will have to ask them what their method is next time I need one, as I was not aware of some shops doing this at the time.

I have watched safelite do the replacement on a previous vehicle, and I can confirm that I too was distressed when I observed that step of their process. I could see it being a possible cause of problems in the future, especially in the MgCl/Salt locales.

Additionally, Safelite cluster flopped a windshield replacement on my now traded Mazda MX5. The weather stripping was not factory part and would not stay in place. After 3 attempts they finally got a factory part and then it all worked. this was before I knew about the paint scrapping deal. but on that car it did not matter as it was a fair weather driver anyways.

I am sorry, but you are wrong about this. In AZ state law requires all insurers to provide full glass replacement and most provide it for no cost or nominal cost like $10 a year. Broken windshields here in AZ are common occurences (we have a lot of rocks). I lived in IL for 50 years and never replaced a windshield. In AZ 16 years and have replaced 6 windshields. Several different cars.

To the OP (and everyone else) it must be the angle of the glass on the CX-5 that causes the issue. I have repaired my windshield twice and need to replace it soon. My son has done 2 on his CX-5.

Does glass get all over the hood (paint) and leather? Id be if something being scratched badly......or glass all over the place.

First of glass cracks if hit hard enough. People always look for reasons why one rock hit does no damage on one car, and what they feel is the same, breaks the windshield on another. Same with phones... drop a phone 10 times no issue, drop another 1 time onto carpet and the second phone breaks - so they assume the phone or glass is defective or not made well. There are just to many variables to determine why glass cracks sometimes and not others in these situations (when being struck). Accept it and move on.

Regarding Safelite or windshield replacement from anyone - get prices, compare dealer price, Mazda brand glass to non-mazda brand. Ask 3rd party shops for cost of material and labor and which windshield they use.

I have used safelite - there install method is the same as others, but often they use aftermarket glass. The problem with aftermarket is often the pattern around the edges that is used to hide trim and other things is not the same design - especially around the sun visors. Fold your sun visors down and notice how they fit around the black shading to block light - i have had aftermarket that was half this size - the wife really complained when the light came in.

Regarding insurance - if the state law requires free replacement then you are paying a higher cost in your policy somewhere; nothing is free. I am surprised the glass companies are not out there throwing rocks - seems like it would be a good business model.

For Arizona, this site says you pay for a waiver or endorsement https://tsautoglass.com/no-deductible-windshield-replacement-arizona/
This site also indicates that the windshield replacement requirement is subject to policy holder buying comprehensive coverage - so it is built into the cost. Certainly not free.

We have nearly identical damage just in the upper passenger side. Got it when the car was 3 weeks new. Same thing, rock hit in the black portion around the perimeter and there's a single crack cutting the top corner of the windshield. Our hasn't gotten any worse at all since. As soon as it start creeping I'll get the windshield changed. For now I've left it to let the original window take a bit more of a beating before I replace it. It's also out of view and out of the wiper swipe in my case.

We have nearly identical damage just in the upper passenger side. Got it when the car was 3 weeks new. Same thing, rock hit in the black portion around the perimeter and there's a single crack cutting the top corner of the windshield. Our hasn't gotten any worse at all since. As soon as it start creeping I'll get the windshield changed. For now I've left it to let the original window take a bit more of a beating before I replace it. It's also out of view and out of the wiper swipe in my case.

That's a sensible approach.

Back