2016 CX-9: Creaking noise from the rear passenger-side door (or window)

shjin404

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature
My 2016 CX-9 has annoying creaking from the rear passenger side door. It might be just a coincidence, but this started happen after fixing suspension creaking (a known TSB).

It sounds like two Styrofoam block rubbing or leather rubbing. This happens when I apply slight break or when driving uneven road at low speed. The sound is most noticeable under 40mph. My commute is almost always under 40mph and this is driving me nuts.

I now cannot un-hear it as my ears are trained to hear it. My kids can also hear it. Unfortunately my dealer shop can't. I demonstrated it to the manager there, but he couldn't hear it. He says come back again if it gets worse, but I worry it might stay at the level where he can't hear it.

I tried to record the sound, but it sounds very different from how I hear it when it is recorded and doesn't represent how bothering the sound it is. So not convincing enough to show to my dealer, I feel.

So far I am not able to pinpoint exactly where this happens other than it sounds like it is from somewhere in the door. I removed all foreign objects in the car and I still hear it so definitely not a false alarm.

Any idea why this might be happening? Any suggested fixes I can try?

Last edited:
it might be the suspension since it happens when you brake or go over bumps.

Maybe they forgot something when they did the recall since I am assuming they disassembled the rear suspension to a certain extent. Or if you are lucky, maybe it just needs some grease.

It's a known problem. There is a spring and rubber housing that have worn and need to be replaced. Mine started about a year ago but was repaired after parts were ordered and replaced at no charge. There is a technical service bulletin at your dealership guiding them on the repair. Give them a call. Good luck!

Update. I think I have fixed this.

I lifted car up and tried moving every possible joint in rear passenger side suspension to see if they wiggle (none were wiggling) and applied small amount of WD-40 to joints/bolts that is not tied with rubber bushing (to prevent WD-40 eat rubber bushing). After overnight, I cannot hear the noise anymore. Not sure exactly what helped, but it is fixed. I am so happy now. I hope the noise doesn't return.

b.t.w, I want to reiterate that this started happen after dealer fixed the creaking suspension issue (by replacing the rubber bushing, I think) mentioned by TSB. So this is different issue than the TSB.

Back