14 cx5 loud metal on metal rear end CHIRP noise?

Cx5NY

:
2014 cx5 touring AWD
Hey guys,

My cx5 has two issues in the rear, in reverse the rear brakes squeal loudly while backing out of parking spaces but im pretty sure new pads will fix that.

Bigger issue is while driving, the rear end driver side makes a loud chirp noise going over road in perfections and over speed bump it chirps very loud. At first I thought it was my exhaust grinding on a suspension component but after going under the car there is nothing out of the ordinary.

What could this be? I thought possibly rear struts or mountain but with only 48k miles could they really be bad?

Hey guys,

My cx5 has two issues in the rear, in reverse the rear brakes squeal loudly while backing out of parking spaces but im pretty sure new pads will fix that.

Bigger issue is while driving, the rear end driver side makes a loud chirp noise going over road in perfections and over speed bump it chirps very loud. At first I thought it was my exhaust grinding on a suspension component but after going under the car there is nothing out of the ordinary.

What could this be? I thought possibly rear struts or mountain but with only 48k miles could they really be bad?

shocks are springs, struts are the gas filled well.. strut.

by chirping sound I assume you mean creaking. struts don't make a creaking sound when they are worn - bushings or strut mounts do. this is where I would start looking.

Shocks are shocks, struts are struts, springs are springs.
Shocks aren't springs.
All different things.

Yes yes yes I know the difference, I haven't dealt with shock replacements since my old days of Jeep's I've only worked on cars with struts so long I've grown accustom to using it almost like an acronym my appologies.

MoistMazdas- since we are correcting everyone here, shocks are not springs, they are just dampers independent of springs. By chirping I do not mean creaking. It's not a creak it's a loud CHIRP! that goes as fast as it comes, almost like the type of noise styrofoam will make when it's rubbing but imaging a metallic tone to it. Hard to describe lol but that's how I would put it. I thought it was the rear hatch latch making the sound at first since I saw here a TSB for it. I drove the car with a moving pad between the hatch latch mechanism and the noise was identical so I knew it was something else...

I've notices the Mazda rear end does feel like it ondulates over some type of road imperfections. Wife doesn't notice so I figured maybe it was a Japanese car trait but maybe there is actually something wrong. Purchased the car used so who knows the life it had!

I'll remove the rear shocks this weekend and take it for a short low speed drive to see if the noise is gone and report back. It is nice it's a shock not strut as it looks like it will take just minutes to remove

Rear sway bar mounts or links?
Usually bad links make more of a clunk, but worth checking.

On the shocks, do they have the sleeve that goes over the body to protect the shaft? I know on my wife's CX9, her front would squeak going over bumps. A little lithium grease on the sleeve and the bumper helped. Just a thought.

Back