Please help. Stranded

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Please help!
I was driving today and went to downshift into 3rd and the car stalled in the middle of the road. I restarted it and it wouldnt go over 2500 rpm, so I pushed the clutch in again to shift into 5th and it turned off and wont restart. It turns over no problem and isnt making any funny noises, but wont start. Does anyone know what it could be??

It may be your timing belt, fuel pump, or a massive vacuum leak due to a cracked/split snorkel hose. Always do a visual check of the engine bay, first. If you cannot locate anything that is damaged or out of place, it could be your timing belt or fuel pump.

Remove your oil fill cap and look down at the cam while cranking your engine over.

If your car is cranking but the cam isn't turning then you have snapped your timing belt.

I also would put my money on timing belt. Same thing happened to me. The engine was still spinning and showing 2500rpm because you were in gear the the car was rolling. But that doesn't mean it was "Running" still.

I ended up getting it towed to the dealership I work at and a former Mazda tech works there who's going to help me with it. It was the timing belt, upon further inspection I discovered it peaking outta the cover just like this
ywmVpgq.jpg

hoping nothing major/ serious happened to the engine, but wont know until we get into it.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I'm sure you'll be fine. Everywhere you read says they're an interference motor but I've personally had my belt break twice. Many many others on here have had the exact same experience I did... $30 and you're running like nothing ever happened.

Back