Motor front main seal (crankshaft gasket)?

:
2012 Mazda5 Sport AT
Was at the dealership for service a few weeks ago and they recommended replacing the valve cover gasket and crankshaft gasket/front main seal. Found a nice little video on replacing the valve cover gasket so I'm going to tackle that one myself but haven't seen anything about the crankshaft one. Anyone have experience/recommendations?

Have you had any oil leaks? Whats the mileage? My 2012 just turned 97k miles. Is this an issue we will have to be on the lookout for?

Was at the dealership for service a few weeks ago and they recommended replacing the valve cover gasket and crankshaft gasket/front main seal. Found a nice little video on replacing the valve cover gasket so I'm going to tackle that one myself but haven't seen anything about the crankshaft one. Anyone have experience/recommendations?

You have to know why. If it is leaking, sure.
But there is no need to do it as a preventative maintenance unless the dealership needs money.

You have to know why. If it is leaking, sure.
But there is no need to do it as a preventative maintenance unless the dealership needs money

Yeah that is why I was asking.

In 7 years of owning since new, I had the car in the dealership once for the rear struts, and had them do the oil change. They told me ALL my motor mounts are shot, and needed immediate replacing at 70K miles. I came home, literally took them all apart, and they were perfectly fine.

Got a second opinion from a different Mazda service department: crankshaft cover gasket has a very, very slow seep of oil that is in no immediate need of replacement nor replacement in the foreseeable future. Told to keep an eye out for any oil drips or losing oil but not to worry about it. Also the two mounts the other department said needed to be replaced are in perfect condition. I already did the valve cover gasket myself at a cost of like $20 and 90 minutes of labor so that's taken care of.

Got a second opinion from a different Mazda service department: crankshaft cover gasket has a very, very slow seep of oil that is in no immediate need of replacement nor replacement in the foreseeable future. Told to keep an eye out for any oil drips or losing oil but not to worry about it. Also the two mounts the other department said needed to be replaced are in perfect condition. I already did the valve cover gasket myself at a cost of like $20 and 90 minutes of labor so that's taken care of.

Lying Mazda dealers, news at 11 :D

"motor mount is bad" seems to be a common theme at mazda dealers.

Back