Steering wheel calibration alignment

mark2000

When I drive, I have to hold the steering wheel about a half inch to the right to get the car to go Straight. When I hold the wheel straight, the car drives slightly to the left. I eyenballed the wheels, and the left wheel is slightly turned to the left when the steering wheel is in the centre. But I dont feel the car pulling when Im on the highway or anything, it feels like its driving relatively straight when Im light on the steering wheel, just that the wheel is slightly turned to the right while doing so!

Is this something I could have fixed by recalibrating the steering wheels centre? What should I ask the mechanic for? Would fixing my sway bars fix this or is this just an issue of steering wheel or tire calibration.

Im only planning on keeping the car thru the end of the year, so if this is a big job, I might just live with it.

Thanks so much in advance!

When I drive, I have to hold the steering wheel about a half inch to the right to get the car to go Straight. When I hold the wheel straight, the car drives slightly to the left. I eyenballed the wheels, and the left wheel is slightly turned to the left when the steering wheel is in the centre. But I don’t feel the car “pulling” when I’m on the highway or anything, it feels like it’s driving relatively straight when I’m light on the steering wheel, just that the wheel is slightly turned to the right while doing so!

Is this something I could have fixed by recalibrating the steering wheel’s centre? What should I ask the mechanic for? Would fixing my sway bars fix this or is this just an issue of steering wheel or tire calibration.

I’m only planning on keeping the car thru the end of the year, so if this is a big job, I might just live with it.

Thanks so much in advance!

please tell me you're joking with the whole calibration thing. it's called an alignment. you need a new alignment.

Im not joking. I thought wheel alignment was to do with aligning the wheels to the car, not to the steering wheel. I didnt know they also aligned the steering wheel as part of that job, I thought steering wheel calibration was a separate job.

When I owned a Saturn, I remember getting alignment and balancing, but I still had a steering wheel centring issue, just never bothered to get it fixed.

Apologies for the ignorance. It is kinda funny tho, I honestly didnt know they were the same thing. :)

You could loosen up one tie rod end and tighten up the other side to bring your steering wheel back to center...

Or get an alignment done as mentioned to the tune of about $100 ...

I do my own alignments... Saves me big bucks...

I did bring my steering wheel back to center !!!

You need to build one of these... Or use the string method.
(or spend a $100 for a ten minute alignment)

.. I didnt know they also aligned the steering wheel as part of that job, I thought steering wheel calibration was a separate job.

If the steering wheel is too far out of whack, (by like half a turn or something crazy) then your turn signals will not self cancel after you go around a corner and it stays flashing until you get hit by a car that thinks you're turning.. That Is A Safety issue and the car should not be on the road... (I talked to a mechanic about this)...

So Yes... The dudes doing your alignment should center your steering wheel... Although they don't always do...

A couple if inches ?!!? Good enough right ??

Our steering may have a detent at the middle and wants to pull to middle (I'm not sure of this but we do have speed sensitive steering)

When I drive, I have to hold the steering wheel about a half inch to the right to get the car to go Straight...

I like when I have to hold my steering wheel about a half inch to the left to go straight...

I've only ever driven standard so I never have my right hand on the steering wheel.
I hook my left hand thumb on my steering wheel and the weigh of my hand and arm pulls me in to the straight ahead position..
Works great... Just enough to overcome the crown on the roads...

Either way, do something... Our car is supposed to have about 1-2 mm if tow in, front and back,.. If your front tires are way out of alignment, you'll scrub your tires out real Fast...

Get your alignment fixed or plan to buy new tires..

Tell then about your steering wheel and tell them you want it in the middle !!!

Last edited:
As far as I know, they're supposed to set your steering wheel at dead center the make all adjustments based on that... But they don't always do that and your steering wheel ends up cockeyed..

I think The mechanic did say that my left control arm was wobbly/loose. The lower one. He showed me on the hoist and there was a little bit of play in the tire, but no more than half an inch tho. To my uneducated eye, it really didnt look too sinister but what do I know?

Could that have something to do with the alignment? Any chance the alignment could be fixed without replacing the entire control arm?

I fear that if I go down this route, theyll hose me for a full front end repair because of all the rust. Both control arms, sway bar, etc. When all I want to do is fix the alignment issue!!!

I think The mechanic did say that my left control arm was wobbly/loose. The lower one. He showed me on the hoist and there was a little bit of play in the tire, but no more than half an inch tho. To my uneducated eye, it really didnt look too sinister but what do I know?

Could that have something to do with the alignment? Any chance the alignment could be fixed without replacing the entire control arm?

I fear that if I go down this route, theyll hose me for a full front end repair because of all the rust. Both control arms, sway bar, etc. When all I want to do is fix the alignment issue!!!

about a half inch or so?? that is a lot of play! totally unsafe. I would replace that lower control arm, they are not expensive to replace. just find a fair mechanic to do it for you at a reasonable price. you don't need to replace the right lower control arm if there is no play.

Wow, thanks for the advice. He did tell me to try to stick to low speed city roads where possible. Could this be whats affecting my alignment?

I just googled the forum and read other posts about the LCA. Some say that to replace them, many associated connecting parts have to be replaced too. Can anyone confirm?

..Some say that to replace them, many associated connecting parts have to be replaced too. Can anyone confirm?

I did both my control arms and didn't replace any other parts (like tie rod ends)

I did replace both front wheel bearings but that was a separate maintenance issue.
(although a bad wheel bearing can cause a sloppy wheel as well)

Rockauto has a control arm for about $35 American and includes the bushings and ball joint.

Amazing, thanks guys. I didnt realize it was such a drastic issue. Even tho the wheel had play where it connects to then LCA, I thought it was fine because its still physically attached to the car and really shows no signs of actually falling off or anything. Ill probably try to get this fixed ASAP and avoid highways.

I saw parts kits on this from Rockauto who Ive used before and theyre pretty good. But this is where my question about how much of the front end will need to be done. I guess Ill ask the mechanic to re-hoist it and show me what he thinks.

Can I expect that as part of the total service charge, the wheels should properly be aligned to the steering wheel when this is all said and done? Or do places typically charge EXTRA for a front end alignment on TOP of these kinds of repairs...I hope not! AFAIAC, if theyre fixing major steering issues like this, aligning it properly should be part of that job!

Amazing, thanks guys. I didn’t realize it was such a drastic issue. Even tho the wheel had play where it connects to then LCA, I thought it was fine because it’s still physically attached to the car and really shows no signs of actually falling off or anything. I’ll probably try to get this fixed ASAP and avoid highways.

I saw parts kits on this from Rockauto who I’ve used before and they’re pretty good. But this is where my question about “how much of the front end” will need to be done. I guess I’ll ask the mechanic to re-hoist it and show me what he thinks.

Can I expect that as part of the total service charge, the wheels should properly be aligned to the steering wheel when this is all said and done? Or do places typically charge EXTRA for a front end alignment on TOP of these kinds of repairs...I hope not! AFAIAC, if they’re fixing major steering issues like this, aligning it properly should be part of that job!

You don't get a free alignment, you still have to pay for it along with parts and labor. They might give you a little bit of a break because the car will already be on the rack, but it's still extra time spent, and time is money.

You're generally supposed to check your alignment after doing any front suspension or steering components.

Ask your mechanic what all is included in his quote.

Getting your mechanic to rehoist the car is a good idea,.. He can see if any other parts are necessary.

Back