CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steering wheel calibration alignment

Registered Member

Amazing, thanks guys. I didnít realize it was such a drastic issue. Even tho the wheel had play where it connects to then LCA, I thought it was fine because itís still physically attached to the car and really shows no signs of actually falling off or anything. Iíll probably try to get this fixed ASAP and avoid highways.

I saw parts kits on this from Rockauto who Iíve used before and theyíre pretty good. But this is where my question about ďhow much of the front endĒ will need to be done. I guess Iíll ask the mechanic to re-hoist it and show me what he thinks.

Can I expect that as part of the total service charge, the wheels should properly be aligned to the steering wheel when this is all said and done? Or do places typically charge EXTRA for a front end alignment on TOP of these kinds of repairs...I hope not! AFAIAC, if theyíre fixing major steering issues like this, aligning it properly should be part of that job!

Registered Member

Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by mark2000 View Post
    Amazing, thanks guys. I didn’t realize it was such a drastic issue. Even tho the wheel had play where it connects to then LCA, I thought it was fine because it’s still physically attached to the car and really shows no signs of actually falling off or anything. I’ll probably try to get this fixed ASAP and avoid highways.

I saw parts kits on this from Rockauto who I’ve used before and they’re pretty good. But this is where my question about “how much of the front end” will need to be done. I guess I’ll ask the mechanic to re-hoist it and show me what he thinks.

Can I expect that as part of the total service charge, the wheels should properly be aligned to the steering wheel when this is all said and done? Or do places typically charge EXTRA for a front end alignment on TOP of these kinds of repairs...I hope not! AFAIAC, if they’re fixing major steering issues like this, aligning it properly should be part of that job!
    You don't get a free alignment, you still have to pay for it along with parts and labor. They might give you a little bit of a break because the car will already be on the rack, but it's still extra time spent, and time is money.
    2002 Protege5 5 Speed, Pure White, FSZE Swap, Konig Incident 17's
    2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 5.3

2002 mazda protege 5

You're generally supposed to check your alignment after doing any front suspension or steering components.

Ask your mechanic what all is included in his quote.

Getting your mechanic to rehoist the car is a good idea,.. He can see if any other parts are necessary.
    The Diagram Dude

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12