Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which coolant

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Quote Originally Posted by craigo View Post
    It is not low. The factory has a machine that precisely meters the coolant into each car based on engineer's specifications. "Full" means don't fill higher than that allowing room for thermal expansion.

You don't need to top off a new vehicle and probably shouldn't.
    +1. I've been around 3 CX5s in my family, levels are adequate from new.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Which coolant

Quote Originally Posted by craigo View Post
    It is not low. The factory has a machine that precisely meters the coolant into each car based on engineer's specifications. "Full" means don't fill higher than that allowing room for thermal expansion.

You don't need to top off a new vehicle and probably shouldn't.
    New car owners get used to have all fluid levels in full for larger margin of safety. Mazda has defied convention and precisely meters many fluids so that their levels on its new vehicles from factory falls at lower than "Full" mark. From my many years of experience I've never seen a new vehicle having low oil and coolant levels in addition to 50% low on rear differential gear lub based on Mazda's factory service manual filling up the gear lub to the fill-hole. This Mazda's intentional cost-saving decision is at Mazda dealer's expense whenever a new car customer paying attention to those fluid levels, but who is going to check rear differential gear lub? My dealer is nice enough topped off my coolant 3 times with Mazda's FL-22 coolant. I'm not going to pay $24 per gallon on FL-22 coolant just for topping off.

"You don't need to top off a new vehicle and probably shouldn't."
    Then why our owner's manual always says adding enough oil / coolant "to bring the level to Full"?

2016 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual Page 6-28.jpg2016 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual Page 6-29.jpg
    Last edited by yrwei52; 05-30-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GS AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Puyapim View Post
    I have it on my ‘17.
    My 2017 owners manual does not even show the blue "cold" icon / light on the instrument panel anymore.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    New car owners get used to have all fluid levels in full for larger margin of safety. Mazda has defied convention and precisely meters many fluids so that their levels on its new vehicles from factory falls at lower than "Full" mark. From my many years of experience I've never seen a new vehicle having low oil and coolant levels in addition to 50% low on rear differential gear lub based on Mazda's factory service manual filling up the gear lub to the fill-hole. This Mazda's intentional cost-saving decision is at Mazda dealer's expense whenever a new car customer paying attention to those fluid levels, but who is going to check rear differential gear lub? My dealer is nice enough topped off my coolant 3 times with Mazda's FL-22 coolant. I'm not going to pay $24 per gallon on FL-22 coolant just for topping off.

Then why our owner's manual always says adding enough oil / coolant "to bring the level to Full"?

2016 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual Page 6-28.jpg2016 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual Page 6-29.jpg
    You always manage to leave enough out to make yourself look right. The few words before that line for engine oil are "if it is near or below low". Incidentally, while you're reciting the owner's manual, do you see what it says after the big caution warning right after that for the engine oil? Do not add engine oil over full. This may cause engine damage.
    Last edited by madar; 05-30-2018 at 02:25 PM.

Arrow Which coolant

Quote Originally Posted by madar View Post
    You always manage to leave enough out to make yourself look right. The few words before that line for engine oil are "if it is near or below low". Incidentally, while you're reciting the owner's manual, do you see what it says after the big caution warning right after that for the engine oil? Do not add engine oil over full. This may cause engine damage.
    Where did I say we want overfill the oil? Is this because of this post of yours?

Quote Originally Posted by madar View Post
    Here’s part of your problem. You need at least 5 quarts of fresh 0W-20 oil for oil change, not 4.8 quarts specified in our owner’s manual. If you want oil level reaches the “Full” mark, you need about 5.3 quarts.
    Where do you get this stuff???? 4.8 quarts gives puts me exactly at full with a hot engine. So now you're telling folks to overfill? C'mon.
    Read my reply with many others after your post in that thread and see who is right on this.

If Mazda says to top off to the ”Full” mark whenever the fluid lever is low, why doesn’t the factory fill all fluids to the “Full” mark for the new vehicle like everybody else with computer-controlled precision of meters?

'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by VQ35DE View Post
    LOL. It is gone starting with the 2017 here on USA models.
    Cost cutting by Mazda North America!

2013 Mazda CX-5 GT

O'Reilly has Zerex (green) FL-22 equivalent. It's HOAT as well as silicate free and borate free.

Zerex 1 Gallon Green 50/50 Coolant/Antifreeze

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black 2016 Miata Club

My 2016 MX-5 that I bought used also had low fluid levels in the manual transmission and the rear diff. I bought the Miata with only 11.2k miles on the odo. I topped the trans off and it took almost 16oz of lube, the capacity is just over 2 quarts. 16oz low is ~25% low! I topped off the rear diff as well and it took ~12oz to fill, the EXACT same amount that my brand new CX-5 took to top off.

It also appears that the coolant was low and someone topped it off with something other than FL22. The green coolant is a bit murky and just doesn't look right when compared to the CX (which was also low from the factory). I plan on draining the coolant and putting the right stuff in.
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by Triton46 View Post
    O'Reilly has Zerex (green) FL-22 equivalent. It's HOAT as well as silicate free and borate free.

Zerex 1 Gallon Green 50/50 Coolant/Antifreeze
    Was going to call BS...but you're right LOL FL-22 AND green AND prediluted mix.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GS AWD

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post

It does not say it meets FL-22.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Dammit...it could be compatible though? right?

Registered Member

Dammit...it could be compatible though? right?
    It claims to be compatible, but I'd stick with the Mazda FL-22, don't make assumptions. Better safe than sorry.
    Last edited by madar; 10-21-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Donated: $40

Mazda

Quote Originally Posted by RepeatMazda View Post

That thread should be deleted, burned and magnetized off the servers. About the only thing correct there is that you shouldn't run straight coolant.
    ANY thread by that guy (GJ Molester) is completely whack. He joined up and went on a "start thread" spree. Spammed the crap out of this place with all kinds of false info, then most likely bought a different car and is ruining some other site.

I agree, get that crapola off of the search function.
    NPOT (Norcal Protege Options Team)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/335883...photo-gallery/

Arrow Which coolant

I couldn’t find anything saying it’s FL-22 coolant either. It says “Formula/Technology: HOAT” in the spec.

Also, OEM FL-22 is 55/45 pre-mixed, not 50/50.

For $17.99 per gallon on this questionable Zerex Green 50/50 coolant, I wouldn’t use it.

Arrow Which coolant

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5 View Post
    My 2016 MX-5 that I bought used also had low fluid levels in the manual transmission and the rear diff. I bought the Miata with only 11.2k miles on the odo. I topped the trans off and it took almost 16oz of lube, the capacity is just over 2 quarts. 16oz low is ~25% low! I topped off the rear diff as well and it took ~12oz to fill, the EXACT same amount that my brand new CX-5 took to top off.

It also appears that the coolant was low and someone topped it off with something other than FL22. The green coolant is a bit murky and just doesn't look right when compared to the CX (which was also low from the factory). I plan on draining the coolant and putting the right stuff in.
    I’m glad you went through all the trouble checking fluid levels in manual transmission and rear differential on your 11.2K-mile Miata and again verified Mazda “under-filled” most fluids from factory. While Mazda says we should fill every fluid to the “Full” mark or fill-hole when needed, they themselves failed to do so with precision-measured fluid volume in factory. We can only suspect Mazda intentionally does this way just for cost cutting purpose, and passes some top-off cost to Mazda dealers during new-vehicle inspection.

Based on the description of your coolant, yes you should flush your coolant as soon as possible with OEM FL-22 coolant, along with shorter coolant change interval - 60K miles / 5 years instead of initial 120K miles / 10 years based on Mazda’s maintenance schedule.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast