Which coolant

Which coolant should I buy? Is water ok to use while I buy the proper coolant?

Thank you.

Any reason you need to put in coolant on such a new vehicle (according to your profile, you have a 2018 CX-5) (uhm)

I would (and do) use FL22. At this time there doesn't seem to be a suitable aftermarket option from what I can tell.

*Edit* Yes, you can use distilled water to top up. Depending on how much is needed of course. In your climate, using distilled water to top off (bringing the factory ratio closer to 50/50) won't hurt a thing.

Last edited:
do a search next time. Here is a helpful thread I found, just go through all the posts for more info:

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123862043-Check-Your-Coolant-Level&highlight=coolant

Hilarious-WTF-Meme-Wtf-Did-I-Just-Read-Photo.jpg

That thread should be deleted, burned and magnetized off the servers. About the only thing correct there is that you shouldn't run straight coolant.

I am just a bit curious as to why coolant would needed to be added so soon to a newish vehicle. Sounds like there might be an issue (uhm)

I am just a bit curious as to why coolant would needed to be added so soon to a newish vehicle. Sounds like there might be an issue (uhm)
There's no secret that coolant level on brand-new CX-5 is low, " ~ 1" below the "Full" mark on the reservoir, from factory. Many Mazda dealers don't do the top-off during the new car inspection. The same on engine oil level and rear differential gear lubricant.

I just asked my dealer to top-off with OEM FL-22 coolant after I found out the coolant level was low from factory.

There's no secret that coolant level on brand-new CX-5 is low, " ~ 1" below the "Full" mark on the reservoir, from factory. Many Mazda dealers don't do the top-off during the new car inspection. The same on engine oil level and rear differential gear lubricant.

I just asked my dealer to top-off with OEM FL-22 coolant after I found out the coolant level was low from factory.

Interesting. So long as it's above the minimum level than there should be no issue.

I'm glad there is a temperature gauge in the CX-5 besides the blue temperature icon.

Interesting. So long as it's above the minimum level than there should be no issue.

I'm glad there is a temperature gauge in the CX-5 besides the blue temperature icon.

I do miss the Blue icon though ! They should have kept it along with the new coolant temp gauge.

Good idea to have dealer top off...will have to remember to that when I get my hatch strut recall work done.

It is not low. The factory has a machine that precisely meters the coolant into each car based on engineer's specifications. "Full" means don't fill higher than that allowing room for thermal expansion.

You don't need to top off a new vehicle and probably shouldn't.

It is not low. The factory has a machine that precisely meters the coolant into each car based on engineer's specifications. "Full" means don't fill higher than that allowing room for thermal expansion.

+1. I've been around 3 CX5s in my family, levels are adequate from new.

New car owners get used to have all fluid levels in full for larger margin of safety. Mazda has defied convention and precisely meters many fluids so that their levels on its new vehicles from factory falls at lower than "Full" mark. From my many years of experience I've never seen a new vehicle having low oil and coolant levels in addition to 50% low on rear differential gear lub based on Mazda's factory service manual filling up the gear lub to the fill-hole. This Mazda's intentional cost-saving decision is at Mazda dealer's expense whenever a new car customer paying attention to those fluid levels, but who is going to check rear differential gear lub? My dealer is nice enough topped off my coolant 3 times with Mazda's FL-22 coolant. I'm not going to pay $24 per gallon on FL-22 coolant just for topping off.

"You don't need to top off a new vehicle and probably shouldn't."
Then why our owner's manual always says adding enough oil / coolant "to bring the level to Full"? ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

2016 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual Page 6-28.jpg2016 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual Page 6-29.jpg

Last edited:
New car owners get used to have all fluid levels in full for larger margin of safety. Mazda has defied convention and precisely meters many fluids so that their levels on its new vehicles from factory falls at lower than "Full" mark. From my many years of experience I've never seen a new vehicle having low oil and coolant levels in addition to 50% low on rear differential gear lub based on Mazda's factory service manual filling up the gear lub to the fill-hole. This Mazda's intentional cost-saving decision is at Mazda dealer's expense whenever a new car customer paying attention to those fluid levels, but who is going to check rear differential gear lub? My dealer is nice enough topped off my coolant 3 times with Mazda's FL-22 coolant. I'm not going to pay $24 per gallon on FL-22 coolant just for topping off.

"You don't need to top off a new vehicle and probably shouldn't."
Then why our owner's manual always says adding enough oil / coolant "to bring the level to Full"? ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 219234View attachment 219235

You always manage to leave enough out to make yourself look right. The few words before that line for engine oil are "if it is near or below low". Incidentally, while you're reciting the owner's manual, do you see what it says after the big caution warning right after that for the engine oil? Do not add engine oil over full. This may cause engine damage.

Last edited:
You always manage to leave enough out to make yourself look right. The few words before that line for engine oil are "if it is near or below low". Incidentally, while you're reciting the owner's manual, do you see what it says after the big caution warning right after that for the engine oil? Do not add engine oil over full. This may cause engine damage.
Where did I say we want overfill the oil? (uhm) Is this because of this post of yours?

Here’s part of your problem. You need at least 5 quarts of fresh 0W-20 oil for oil change, not 4.8 quarts specified in our owner’s manual. If you want oil level reaches the “Full” mark, you need about 5.3 quarts.
Where do you get this stuff???? 4.8 quarts gives puts me exactly at full with a hot engine. So now you're telling folks to overfill? C'mon.

Read my reply with many others after your post in that thread and see who is right on this.

If Mazda says to top off to the ”Full” mark whenever the fluid lever is low, why doesn’t the factory fill all fluids to the “Full” mark for the new vehicle like everybody else with computer-controlled precision of meters?

Back