Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 21 of 21

Thread: Which coolant

  1. #16
    Registered Member
    Donated: $15

    2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ABE area, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by craigo View Post
    It is not low. The factory has a machine that precisely meters the coolant into each car based on engineer's specifications. "Full" means don't fill higher than that allowing room for thermal expansion.

    You don't need to top off a new vehicle and probably shouldn't.
    +1. I've been around 3 CX5s in my family, levels are adequate from new.

  2. #17
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,293

    Arrow Which coolant

    Quote Originally Posted by craigo View Post
    It is not low. The factory has a machine that precisely meters the coolant into each car based on engineer's specifications. "Full" means don't fill higher than that allowing room for thermal expansion.

    You don't need to top off a new vehicle and probably shouldn't.
    New car owners get used to have all fluid levels in full for larger margin of safety. Mazda has defied convention and precisely meters many fluids so that their levels on its new vehicles from factory falls at lower than "Full" mark. From my many years of experience I've never seen a new vehicle having low oil and coolant levels in addition to 50% low on rear differential gear lub based on Mazda's factory service manual filling up the gear lub to the fill-hole. This Mazda's intentional cost-saving decision is at Mazda dealer's expense whenever a new car customer paying attention to those fluid levels, but who is going to check rear differential gear lub? My dealer is nice enough topped off my coolant 3 times with Mazda's FL-22 coolant. I'm not going to pay $24 per gallon on FL-22 coolant just for topping off.

    "You don't need to top off a new vehicle and probably shouldn't."
    Then why our owner's manual always says adding enough oil / coolant "to bring the level to Full"?



    2016 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual Page 6-28.jpg2016 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual Page 6-29.jpg
    Last edited by yrwei52; 05-30-2018 at 01:19 PM.

  3. #18
    Registered Member

    2017 CX-5 GS AWD

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UNION CITY, TN
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Puyapim View Post
    I have it on my 17.
    My 2017 owners manual does not even show the blue "cold" icon / light on the instrument panel anymore.

  4. #19
    Registered Member
    Donated: $15

    2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ABE area, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    New car owners get used to have all fluid levels in full for larger margin of safety. Mazda has defied convention and precisely meters many fluids so that their levels on its new vehicles from factory falls at lower than "Full" mark. From my many years of experience I've never seen a new vehicle having low oil and coolant levels in addition to 50% low on rear differential gear lub based on Mazda's factory service manual filling up the gear lub to the fill-hole. This Mazda's intentional cost-saving decision is at Mazda dealer's expense whenever a new car customer paying attention to those fluid levels, but who is going to check rear differential gear lub? My dealer is nice enough topped off my coolant 3 times with Mazda's FL-22 coolant. I'm not going to pay $24 per gallon on FL-22 coolant just for topping off.

    "You don't need to top off a new vehicle and probably shouldn't."
    Then why our owner's manual always says adding enough oil / coolant "to bring the level to Full"?



    2016 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual Page 6-28.jpg2016 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual Page 6-29.jpg
    You always manage to leave enough out to make yourself look right. The few words before that line for engine oil are "if it is near or below low". Incidentally, while you're reciting the owner's manual, do you see what it says after the big caution warning right after that for the engine oil? Do not add engine oil over full. This may cause engine damage.
    Last edited by madar; 05-30-2018 at 02:25 PM.

  5. #20
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,293

    Arrow Which coolant

    Quote Originally Posted by madar View Post
    You always manage to leave enough out to make yourself look right. The few words before that line for engine oil are "if it is near or below low". Incidentally, while you're reciting the owner's manual, do you see what it says after the big caution warning right after that for the engine oil? Do not add engine oil over full. This may cause engine damage.
    Where did I say we want overfill the oil? Is this because of this post of yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by madar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Here’s part of your problem. You need at least 5 quarts of fresh 0W-20 oil for oil change, not 4.8 quarts specified in our owner’s manual. If you want oil level reaches the “Full” mark, you need about 5.3 quarts.
    Where do you get this stuff???? 4.8 quarts gives puts me exactly at full with a hot engine. So now you're telling folks to overfill? C'mon.
    Read my reply with many others after your post in that thread and see who is right on this.

    If Mazda says to top off to the ”Full” mark whenever the fluid lever is low, why doesn’t the factory fill all fluids to the “Full” mark for the new vehicle like everybody else with computer-controlled precision of meters?

  6. #21
    Registered Member Xeler8ing's Avatar

    '18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Down Under..Australia
    Posts
    7,505
    Quote Originally Posted by VQ35DE View Post
    LOL. It is gone starting with the 2017 here on USA models.
    Cost cutting by Mazda North America!
    Recent Vehicle History:

    '18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L in Sonic Silver (2018-)
    '15 Mazda 6 Touring GJ Series II Sedan 2.5L in Sonic Silver (2015-2018)
    '08 Mazda 3 Maxx Sport BK Series II Sedan 2.0L in Champagne (Family)
    '06 GM Holden Calais VZ Series II Sedan 3.6L in Quicksilver (2006-2015)


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-06-2015, 07:52 PM
  2. Coolant
    By jtl in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-13-2013, 10:40 PM
  3. question on coolant flush on 07 with the FL22 coolant
    By sbmrinaldi in forum CX-9 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 08:17 AM
  4. drain coolant, coolant plug
    By 31R in forum Mazdaspeed3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-02-2005, 10:59 PM
  5. Low coolant
    By CHICO2003 in forum Mazdaspeed Protege
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-26-2005, 03:02 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •