2014 Touring FWD - Spark Plug Model Number?

Pushing 50,000 miles so thought I'd get new plugs and install them. Anyone know the model number for plugs for a 2014 Touring with 2.5 engine?
Thx!
Bill

OEM PE5R18110 NorthPark Mazda will price match other dealer price (I/e zoomzoomnationparts.com). The non OEM plugs don't perform as well you will notice.

OEM PE5R18110 NorthPark Mazda will price match other dealer price (I/e zoomzoomnationparts.com). The non OEM plugs don't perform as well you will notice.

Thanks, going to be doing mine soon too. Stupid question: 4 of them right? (scratch)

50K is a bit too soon for iridium plugs. I'd change it in the 75k-85k range.

Pushing 50,000 miles so thought I'd get new plugs and install them. Anyone know the model number for plugs for a 2014 Touring with 2.5 engine?
Thx!
Bill
Firstly, Mazda's maintenance schedule says you need spark plug replacement at 75,000 miles. It's a bit too early at 50,000 miles.

Secondly, Mazda OEM PE5R-18-110 spark plug is very expensive, at $32.27 each MSRP! Some people believe NGK's ILKAR7L11 spark plug is exactly the same as Mazda OEM but with much cheaper price ($12? each). Personally I may still insist very expensive OEM plugs based on what the owner's manual says: "This (Mazda Genuine) spark plug provides the SKYACTIV-G engine with optimal performance" and Chris_Top_Her's comment above. And my common sense would also say if NGK plug is truly the same as OEM, why the price difference is so much?

Thirdly, make sure to have s 9/16" spark plug or deep socket for the plugs.

Fourthly, for our SkyActiv-G 2.5L / 2.0L I4, yeah we need 4 spark plugs.

Just because the manual says 75k doesn't mean much. Driving habit, fuel quality etc.. you can probably go 100k with no misfires but you're still getting less performance

Just because the manual says 75k doesn't mean much. Driving habit, fuel quality etc.. you can probably go 100k with no misfires but you're still getting less performance

Spirited driver here. 66k miles. Feel like I want to just go ahead and get it done.

Thx for all the info!

I know it's a little early to change them but I'll probably wait another 2-3,000 miles. I don't mind changing early. I've been doing a lot of 85mph cruising lately so maybe it's time.

I'll go with official OEM plugs because I saw somewhere that OEM plugs provide feedback to the system that non OEM plugs do not...leading to performance problems for those who used non OEM plugs.
Bill

Oh...on the 9/16 socket...helpful to have a deep socket and/or a swivel socket?
Thx!
Bill
No, swivel joint socket is not needed, but a 9/16” spark-plug deep socket with a rubber grabber inside is more convenient to grab the plug out and put the new plug back in.

Last edited:
Spark plug replacement

I went ahead and replaced them on our 2014 Grand Touring AWD after almost 5 years and 60k miles. I know the manual says 75k miles but I figure it was time given the high compression ratio SkyActiv engines and the lots of stop and go seen by this car (my spouse's hour long city commute).

I got the Mazda OEM plugs (PE5R-18-110) despite their high cost, given the experience of others on this forum. $25.82 each! https://www.shopmazdaparts.com/oem-parts/mazda-spark-plug-each-this-is-one-spark-plug-pe5r18110

You'll definitely need a 9/16" spark plug socket - the one size I did not have. I got a nice magnetic one with a swivel joint (GearWrench 3938) but it was too shallow for the Mazda plugs; I tapped in the magnet a bit and made it work (see my comment on Amazon). The plugs are pretty deep in the engine block so make sure you also have an extension for your wrench.

Very straightforward job: remove the cover, remove the bolts holding the ignition coils, unplug connector for each coil, and remove and replace plugs. Here is a pic of the old plugs. The electrodes looked in good condition with only some carbon on them. I expected some oil on the threads (no big deal) but the ceramic insulators had a bit too much crud (oil?). You can see where the rubber boot of the ignition coil fits on the ceramic insulator:

nvylkUX.jpg

After seeing them I'm glad I replaced them.

Well I'm at 67k miles on my 2014. Guess I should go ahead and replace mine too.

Back