How many miles for a tree.....

bigc218

:
Mazda cx 5
I have just come up to 2000 miles on my 2 litre petrol sport nav , looking at my I stop meter it says it's saved me 16 miles, but disappointingly no trees.

How many miles before I save a tree......

Because a lot of people don't like it!

But reading the way Mazda does it, it looks seamless compared to the jutter Ive experienced in a Mercedes and Jaguar I drove that had this. And if a lot of people dont like it why bother going through the engineering and implementation effort?

But reading the way Mazda does it, it looks seamless compared to the jutter I’ve experienced in a Mercedes and Jaguar I drove that had this. And if a lot of people don’t like it why bother going through the engineering and implementation effort?

One word answer: CAFE (Mazda will be forced to use it in the US sooner or later)

Lame. I'd pull the fuse if my car had it. I don't want any delay when I increase throttle from a start.

In answer to the original question I saved my first tree at approx 45 miles saving using i-stop. That is after a total 18,000 miles. I could have saved more trees if I was still at work and not retired due to rush hour traffic congestion. (More use of i-stop) Personally, I don't find i-stop a hindrance at all. You can choose to switch it off via the button on the dash before the journey, or choose not too press really hard on the brake at standstill, or not put the auto gearbox into neutral at standstill.

I use mine all the time too Jonno. It works in the background and I like the quiet. There is no delay in starting the engine and moving the car - it’s instant and you don’t even notice it. It’s amazing how people have negative preconceptions about it without trying it. By 9000 miles on the previous car I’d got 2 trees and was well on with the third (the graphic grows from a seedling to a full size tree as you save fuel). It also shows how many free miles you obtain from not idling and I can’t remember but I think it was maybe 40. Not a great amount but if you consider just how much that is when all cars are added together you start to get the point. I suppose it’s a novel way of seeing the effect but with a serious undertone. I think they should lock it in so it must be used because while the boy racers of the world are busy satisfying their own selfish shortcomings by pulling fuses and disabling these features, they are raping the planet for future generations. I’m not a tree hugger by any means but I’ve got enough common sense as an engineer to see what is happening. The same goes for tuning chips, ridiculous air filter and look at me exhaust systems that effect either fuel consumption or noise suppression should be globally outlawed and anybody caught interfering with these devices permanently banned from owning a vehicle. They are there for a reason, leave them alone.

I have just come up to 2000 miles on my 2 litre petrol sport nav , looking at my I stop meter it says it's saved me 16 miles, but disappointingly no trees.

How many miles before I save a tree......

I killed about 1,000 trees this weekend by cutting my grass. There were tons of maple saplings (commonly called helicopters) sprouting in the soil.

At first I didn't like it (in my previous CX-5, a 2.2 diesel) and I switched this function off after starting the car.
But now the system is in use all the time; most of the time (due to the excellent noise damping of the CX-5 KF (a 2.5 L fuel engine) the restart is almost unnoticed and seamless.
Idling does cost some money which this system avoids. And I do not like "waisted" money! And no, I am not a "green" guy, nor a "political correct" one.
Burning fuel for nothing (whilst standing still) seems an avoidable spill to me.
It also prevents that your exhaust-gasses penetrate the cockpit of the car just behind you...

AS a tree hugger, can I just tell you to just **** right off? With respects.
You saved 40 miles? So like 1.5 gallons of gas? So if 100,000,000 cars had iStop we'd save... 150,000,000 gallons of fuel over....how long was that? 2 years? So about what the US Military uses....in 10 days, roughly.
The answer to climate change is not.... iStop.

/Side rant: I'm really sick of the stupid lowercase then upper case letter bulls*** that Apple started.

Last edited:
So many bigger issues at play then cars. We need to find a cheap way to feed cows seaweed. Seriously.
https://www.independent.co.uk/envir...issions-climate-change-research-a8368911.html

Cars are the least of our problems:
Electricity from coal burning power plants releases enormous amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. 40% of U.S. CO2 emissions come from electricity production, and burning coal accounts for 93% of emissions from the electric utility industry.

Ok they aren't the least of our problems, but don't get annoyed at anyone because they don't like istop. Fact: I'm not anti-istop by the way. Drove Volvoes version and it was fine though after you telling me 40 miles saved makes it really seem kind of lame.

Anyway, cars are more fuel efficient and cleaner running today then they've ever been in our history. We are making progress in cars. Every. Day.
For somebody who claims to not be a tree hugger....you've brought this up more then once.
There's no shame in hugging trees bro. Love ya. [emoji7]

AS a tree hugger, can I just tell you to just **** right off? With respects.
You saved 40 miles? So like 1.5 gallons of gas? So if 100,000,000 cars had iStop we'd save... 150,000,000 gallons of fuel over....how long was that? 2 years? So about what the US Military uses....in 10 days, roughly.
The answer to climate change is not.... iStop.

/Side rant: I'm really sick of the stupid lowercase then upper case letter bulls*** that Apple started.

Hmmm...

So by your rant and logic we shouldn't do anything to reduce emissions????

Never mind, in a few billion years the Sun will have expanded to obliterate the Earth. Oh wait, we'll have polluted ourselves out of existance well before then...

I think this has got off topic, but its still related I guess.

I would say that driving any vehicles is not green , but surely anything which helps to reduce fuel, emissions and impact on the environment is better than not doing it.

I also agree that the I stop is not intrusive and starts immediately without delay on my manual version, it's pretty much seem less.

Back