Michelin Premier LTX

:
Mazda 2016 CX-5
Just put a new set of Michelin Premier LTX on my 2016 CX-5 GT. Have about 800 miles on them so far and Im very pleased so far, especially with the reduction in roadnoise. Little concerned about the 8.5/32 tread depth so I plan on checking tread depth on a monthly basis and plotting wear in a excel spreadsheet. Theres one thing though, my MPG seems to have dropped about 2 MPG, 26 down to 24 since getting the LTXs. Nothing else has changed and just had dealer service vehicle yesterday and all is well. Can different tires really make a difference in MPG????

Just put a new set of Michelin Premier LTX on my 2016 CX-5 GT. Have about 800 miles on them so far and I’m very pleased so far, especially with the reduction in roadnoise. Little concerned about the 8.5/32 tread depth so I plan on checking tread depth on a monthly basis and plotting wear in a excel spreadsheet. There’s one thing though, my MPG seems to have dropped about 2 MPG, 26 down to 24 since getting the LTXs. Nothing else has changed and just had dealer service vehicle yesterday and all is well. Can different tires really make a difference in MPG????

I can not remember, but are the Premier's Low Rolling Resistance? Those tires were on my short list (because of brand, performance, and low weight), until I noticed the low initial tread depth and decided against them. (The tires I ended up choosing were 12/32.) I agree that the reduction of road noise from the OEM tires was VERY noticeable.

Just put a new set of Michelin Premier LTX on my 2016 CX-5 GT. Have about 800 miles on them so far and Im very pleased so far, especially with the reduction in roadnoise. Little concerned about the 8.5/32 tread depth so I plan on checking tread depth on a monthly basis and plotting wear in a excel spreadsheet. Theres one thing though, my MPG seems to have dropped about 2 MPG, 26 down to 24 since getting the LTXs. Nothing else has changed and just had dealer service vehicle yesterday and all is well. Can different tires really make a difference in MPG????
Mine did the same thing after installing General Altimax RT43s. After several thousand miles it was pretty much back to what it was. Must be the difference in new tire circumference and its affect on computer mileage calculations.

Although performance of Michelin Premier LTX is one of the best on Tire Rack ratings, but 6.8 on treadwear is very average. We all aware its tread depth is only 8.5/32. Both lower than most 620 A A UTQG and 60,000-mile warranty indicate LTX would wear out faster than others. Customers rated LTX only 3.85/5 at Michelin website, several reviews say tires wore out really fast at 25,000 or 30,000 miles!

Not sure about why your gas mileage has dropped 2 mpg with LTX. Like paris1 said, you can wait and see, or use manual calculation.

attachment.php

C4C7D6A3-1891-4F00-87F8-8F3D5062DEF8.png

I can not remember, but are the Premier's Low Rolling Resistance? Those tires were on my short list (because of brand, performance, and low weight), until I noticed the low initial tread depth and decided against them. (The tires I ended up choosing were 12/32.) I agree that the reduction of road noise from the OEM tires was VERY noticeable.
At Michelin website it has never mentioned Michelin Premier LTX is a Low Rolling Resistance tire on features. 27.34 lbs. is not low weight either comparing to General AltiMAX RT43s 24.4 lbs. and several others.

So which 225/55R19 did you get? OE Toyo A23 or A36 is not a highly rated tire, any name brand replacement tires would do better in many areas including road noise. :)

At Michelin website it has never mentioned Michelin Premier LTX is a Low Rolling Resistance tire on features. 27.34 lbs. is not low weight either comparing to General AltiMAX™ RT43‘s 24.4 lbs. and several others.

So which 225/55R19 did you get? OE Toyo A23 or A36 is not a highly rated tire, any name brand replacement tires would do better in many areas including road noise. :)

Yrwei52: I have 225/65/17, and replaced the stock oem Yokohama G91A GEOLANDAR with Yokohama Avid Ascend. For us, the MPG has improved slightly since the tire change. (1-1.5mpg)

TCCOX: Any idea what the tire PSI is?

Last edited:
I got the same tires, they got even quieter after 1000+ miles on them. I also noticed drop in mpg when first getting them on but that's expected with new tires since they're more sticky. It's pretty much back to normal now from when I had the stock tires. The 2017 is already very quiet but these tires made it even more so on the freeway.

Yrwei52: I have 225/65/17, and replaced the stock oem Yokohama G91A GEOLANDAR with Yokohama Avid Ascend. For us, the MPG has improved slightly since the tire change. (1-1.5mpg)

TCCOX: Any idea what the tire PSI is?

36 psi all around. I check it weekly

Although performance of Michelin Premier LTX is one of the best on Tire Rack ratings, but 6.8 on treadwear is very average. We all aware its tread depth is only 8.5/32. Both lower than most 620 A A UTQG and 60,000-mile warranty indicate LTX would wear out faster than others. Customers rated LTX only 3.85/5 at Michelin website, several reviews say tires wore out really fast at 25,000 or 30,000 miles!

Well, that confirms my suspicions that the tire would not last long with such a low tread-depth new at 8.5/32nd combined with the 620 rating.

I mean really, what is their excuse for not having around an 11/32nd tread depth new like normal?

Last edited:
Have 8500 miles on mine and no issues with wear. These tires are awesome in all conditions. I love them so much I convinced my brother to buy them for his 2015 GT. He commented how much smoother, and quieter the ride is now. Wet traction is phenomenal.

Should do tire wear updates on this thread. I specifically passed on this tire because of the low tread depth and the number of reviews that said tire wear was pretty bad.

I've had these tires for a year. No change in MPG - not sure when they were brand new. They're still quiet.

I would not be surprised that a quiet, grippy tire wears out faster. You can't have everything. 60k warranty is still pretty good for a performer. You want a cheap, rock hard tire that lasts forever but drives like crap... look elsewhere.

Last edited:
For those who is interested in Michelin Premier LTX, Costco now offers $70 off on a set of Michelins, and additional $60 off if you use Costco Visa card. Total is $130 off which should help a bit on high Michelin prices. This offer will be ended on 6/17/2018.

$50 back on General Altimax RT43. Ill take these over any tire out there with a great price to boot even when not on sale...

New tires will almost always have worse mpg than old worn out tires. A tire with lower tread depth has less rubber flex due to both less rubber and rubber hardens through time.

I just installed 17" Nankang SP-9 tires $230 shipped all 4 eBay with a random coupon I found. The tires have excellent grip dry and wet, decently quiet (much quieter than oem tires) and roll smooth and track very straight. I usually would never look at a Chinese tire but for the price and all the positive reviews I saw I decided to give them a go and am very glad I did.

Read an article on TTAC or Jalopnik not sure. It was on Michelin tires and their grip / performance at various tread depths.
Worn out Michelins had superior grip than most new tires as well. Its shocking to see that. I would never get a good year again - after their recent scandals with RV tires and the associated casualties. Its either Michelins or Altimax for me. I hope to find good deal on Michelins but there is a reason this brand has been #1 for as long as I can remember.

Brand A is Michelin. Article argues that bald cheap tires are being replaced and its better to avoid them altogether to save money and also for better worn out performance.

IMG_4909-450x338.jpg

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/05/cheap-tires-costing-money-probably-also-killing-planet/

I usually would never look at a Chinese tire but for the price and all the positive reviews I saw I decided to give them a go and am very glad I did.

Yeah, we got over the "jap crap" thing decades ago. Because it stopped being crap.
Now it's time to stop automatically worrying about Chinese quality. It's no longer always garbage [just sometimes, maybe no more than stuff made anywhere else]. In fact, some of their stuff is surprisingly excellent.

Yeah, we got over the "jap crap" thing decades ago. Because it stopped being crap.
Now it's time to stop automatically worrying about Chinese quality. It's no longer always garbage [just sometimes, maybe no more than stuff made anywhere else]. In fact, some of their stuff is surprisingly excellent.

Yeah I mean, the devices you and I are using to read and post on this fine forum here was probably all made in China ;)

Last edited:
Back