Strutbar

Don't know. The car comes with a front strut tower brace. A different one is unlikely to make any difference. The lower suspension braces may well help. The pics are not good enough to tell if the attachment points are good enough to help. The rear brace interferes with cargo and is unacceptable to me for that reason. A CX-5 is not a Mustang.

This is an important principle. Chassis braces are not needed for strength. The car is strong enough already. Chassis braces are needed for stiffness. They need to prevent only the first 1 to 3 mm of deflection forcing the stress into the chassis before it can flex. This means large dimensions (fat) and braces that create triangles or ARE triangles. It also means no hinges. The strut tower brace in your link has a hinge at each end.

This is a fairly good Front brace for a Miata. It can't make a triangle due to the location of the attachment points. Note that all connections are welded.
thumb_strut_1.jpg

As is the factory brace:
attachment.php

A good lower chassis brace:
thumb_beatrush_rear_ppf_performance_na.jpg

Attachments

• 20180526_125444-1_resized_1.jpg
    20180526_125444-1_resized_1.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 1,138
Last edited:
I wouldn't call that an STB.. For one it doesn't interface with the struts/springs at all (it's not connected to the suspension through the mounting studs and/or bolts); That's a mount for the cowling. It's also very thin and flexible. Also a hinge doesn't necessarily mean it's inferior.. OEM Mazda RX7 FD3S bars are hinged as are some others. That's actually a damn good price for what's included in that set. I really like that style of rear bracing because I wanted a rear tower bar, but it seems that Autoexe is the only company selling one (expensive). I wonder if the seats can go up with that.

Myself I like Ultra racing, which is also what I use. There is a guy here selling an Ultra Racing STB on the seller page and cx-5 club page.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call that an STB.. For one it doesn't interface with the struts/springs at all (it's not connected to the suspension through the mounting studs and/or bolts); That's a mount for the cowling. It's also very thin and flexible. Also a hinge doesn't necessarily mean it's inferior.. OEM Mazda RX7 FD3S bars are hinged as are some others. That's actually a damn good price for what's included in that set. I really like that style of rear bracing because I wanted a rear tower bar, but it seems that Autoexe is the only company selling one (expensive). I wonder if the seats can go up with that.

Myself I like Ultra racing, which is also what I use. There is a guy here selling an Ultra Racing STB on the seller page and cx-5 club page.
A friend also recommended Ultra Racing and have sent a message to them via FB, local Ph counterpart. I have yet to receive a reply.

You probably get Ur for a good price since they are based in Malaysia

Good price for the set. Cheaper than UR since it's bundled. But it's also aluminum so less strength.

Hello Chris! I'm still on the hunt for suspension upgrades. Do you know if the gen 1 and 2 CX-5 underchassis etc are identical? It seems Ultra Racing doesn't have parts for gen 2 yet and is asking me.

Well chassis hasnt changed for wheel alignments since our workshop machine is saying cx5 2012- so I guess its still the same

Dude! They removed your entire rear subframe to do that?? LMAO
I think you are the person first I've seen here with the UR rear sway bar, looks good. Those brackets actually are better than what I expected.
I hope you don't play a lot for labour over there.. You should have waited and installed a rear camber arm as well. You need to have to same kind of access to remove the inside bolt on the OEM "Rear Upper Arm"

So the Rear anti sway and front are the same on gen1/2? I'm not surprised, that's good information for the forum; good job.

Last edited:
Yeah! They sway bar is bolted on the whole rear suspension system. I paid $80 to the dealer, and gave $30 to the staff as a form of gratitude. They warned me about the warranty but with a wink. [emoji16] Im not yet sure if I'll go all out in terms of performance modifications as my CX-5 diesel and CX-5 itself has limited options in terms of parts. But I'm still enjoying the race. I turned off the TCS and DSC on my last run. It actually performed better and faster, though vehicle acquaintance really played a big part. I'm presuming I can shave off at least 2 secs on my next autocross run given the improved handling of the bigger anti sway bar. It made my rear suspension noticeably stiffer.

So you are 3-wheel drive around corners now?

Can someone explain this to a noob like me?

Corksport rear sway bar at maximum setting, at work.
How's the ride with that? I had one on my old Forester, and it really flattened out the corners, and hardly affected the ride at all. I kept mine on the intermediate setting. I loved it, except it tore one of the mounting brackets right off the axle! A little weld fixed that right up.

Best mod for handling, IMO.

So you are 3-wheel drive around corners now?

Can someone explain this to a noob like me?

No, it just keeps the body roll down. The photo looks odd because he posed it like that to demonstrate how strong the anti-sway action is. Impressive!

How's the ride with that? I had one on my old Forester, and it really flattened out the corners, and hardly affected the ride at all. I kept mine on the intermediate setting. I loved it, except it tore one of the mounting brackets right off the axle! A little weld fixed that right up.

Best mod for handling, IMO.

Is it common for the mounting bracket to get torn with a rear sway bar? I'm looking to getting one and am concerned about this happening.

Back