Need tire recommendations

:
2016 CX-5 GT | FWD | Soul Red | Tech Package
My Toyos are really worn out at 43K miles. Felt it was little too early. Is it normal to have tires replaced at 43K?

Need some tire recommendations from experts here. Below are my criteria.

1. I live in south Texas and have no need for snow tires. Just the regular all-weather tires is good.
  2. I felt the Toyos are too noisy.. Have a small kid now and would prefer much lesser road noise and riding comfort.
  3. And of course the price. Dont want anything outrageously expensive

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

IMO General AltiMAX™ RT43 225/55R19 99H is the best tire overall for our CX-5. It has excellent reviews with good price. It’s the lightest for the size at 24.3 lbs. Its UTQG is 700 A A with 65,000-mile warranty. The maximum inflation pressure is on higher side at 51 psi. Many members here have used it and they seem to like it too:

$50 rebate (cash card) from General Tire on Altimax RT43

Based on 300 A A UTQG our OE Toyo A23 is a 30,000-mile tire. You should be happy getting 43,000 miles out of them. :)

My Toyos are really worn out at 43K miles. Felt it was little too early. Is it normal to have tires replaced at 43K?

Stock tires, including the stock Yokohamas for the 17" wheeled CX-5's do not have a good wear rating. Getting 43k miles out of them actually seems pretty good to me.

Thanks guys. Looks like GT Altimax it is :)

Is this tire noticeably quieter than stock Toyos or is it more or less the same? If it is noisier and harsher ride than Toyos, I want to stay away from it.

Called closest DT to me to order (they didn't stock locally) and they had them about 5 days later. DT will price match too I believe.

I think the RT43s are quieter but the stock tires they replaced were pretty worn so the difference could just be old vs new rubber?
Bill

Last edited:
Called closest DT to me to order (they didn't stock locally) and they had them about 5 days later. DT will price match too I believe.

I think the RT43s are quieter but the stock tires they replaced were pretty worn so the difference could just be old vs new rubber?
Bill

Will do that tomorrow. Thank you!

Thanks guys. Looks like GT Altimax it is :)

Is this tire noticeably quieter than stock Toyos or is it more or less the same? If it is noisier and harsher ride than Toyos, I want to stay away from it.
Toyo A23 is not a highly-rated tire. Most name-brand aftermarket tires would perform better. General AltiMAX RT43 is rated 8.8 on ride quality、8.3 on noise under comfort performance by Tire Rack which are better than the most.

Generally newly designed tires are getting better and some tires are performed worse as the tread wearing down. But some tires do stay at a higher mark as the time goes by, such as General AltiMAX RT43 tires. When I purchased a set of AltiMAX RT43's for my CR-V about 4 years ago, Tire Rack rated it #2 in the category. 4 years and 20,000 miles later with 20+ new tires coming out in the category, it's still rated #4! It's not the best performed tire you can find, but it definitely the best overall tire you can find for the price.

Where did you buy these? I can't find the 19" GT Altimax in Houston Costco and Discount Tire.
Like SA Bill, I got mine from Discount Tire. It took a day from their warehouse in my case. DT would do price match, even to Tire Rack. But there're a couple of miscellaneous charges you need to make decision if you really need them.

Toyo A23 is not a highly-rated tire. Most name-brand aftermarket tires would perform better. General AltiMAX™ RT43 is rated 8.8 on ride quality、8.3 on noise under comfort performance by Tire Rack which are better than the most.

Generally newly designed tires are getting better and some tires are performed worse as the tread wearing down. But some tires do stay at a higher mark as the time goes by, such as General AltiMAX RT43 tires. When I purchased a set of AltiMAX RT43's for my CR-V about 4 years ago, Tire Rack rated it #2 in the category. 4 years and 20,000 miles later with 20+ new tires coming out in the category, it's still rated #4! It's not the best performed tire you can find, but it definitely the best overall tire you can find for the price.

Thanks! I talked to my local Discount Tire and they're price matching with Tire Rack for the GT RT43. However, they said the Pirelli Cintaurato P7 A/S+ is a much better tire in terms of ride comfort, road noise, longevity and overall quality. Moreover, the price is similar as well.

Have anyone here used the Pirellis? What are your thoughts on those? Considering the price is same for GT and Pirelli, which would be better for ride comfort and low noise?

Thanks! I talked to my local Discount Tire and they're price matching with Tire Rack for the GT RT43. However, they said the Pirelli Cintaurato P7 A/S+ is a much better tire in terms of ride comfort, road noise, longevity and overall quality. Moreover, the price is similar as well.

Have anyone here used the Pirellis? What are your thoughts on those? Considering the price is same for GT and Pirelli, which would be better for ride comfort and low noise?

Don't know anything about them. Seems to be rated well on tire rack.

Looks to weigh more if that matters. 28 lbs. per tire, vs. 25 lbs.

Pirelli Cinturato P7™ All Season Plus is a very comparable tire to General AltiMAX™ RT43 performance wise. Latest Tire Rack ratings on grand touring all-season tires have ranked P7™ #3 and RT43 #4 out of 47. You can go to the comparison table I created for 225/55R19 via the link I posted earlier. Current price on P7 from Tire Rack is $193.77 and RT43 is $162.99. If your DT really can sell you a P7 for $162.99 each you may consider it. Personally I wouldn't choose P7 because it has low maximum inflation pressure at 44 psi, and it's heavier at 28 lbs.

Personally I wouldn't choose P7 because it has low maximum inflation pressure at 44 psi, and it's heavier at 28 lbs.

I understand the weight difference aspect, but what does the max PSI matter? Genuinely don't know, hence me asking.

I understand the weight difference aspect, but what does the max PSI matter? Genuinely don't know, hence me asking.
Tire technology is improving for better performance and more efficient. One way to make it more efficient is higher inflation pressure. 40 years ago most tires had 32 psi maximum inflation pressure. Later most tires, especially so-called P-Metric tires, had the maximum inflation pressure at 35 psi. Then here comes 44 psi and then 51 psi. Tires with higher maximum inflation pressure definitely need to be designed stronger. It also means they're relatively newer designed tires. That's why I like those tires with higher maximum inflation pressure. And I also like tires have more room to handle recommended air pressure we're using for safety reason.

To OP, if you decide to get General AltiMAX™ RT43, make sure to ask Discount Tire putting 2~3 psi higher than recommended tire pressure, 38/39 psi instead of 36 psi and you'll be happier with that.

So, the Pirelli P7 is $154/tire. Pirelli is offering $70 rebate if I buy 4 and Discount Tire is offering $100 rebate on top of that. After all that, the Pirellis cost less than GT RT43. Looks like the Pirellis are similarly rated for comfort and performance, but outlasts GT. So,Ive decided to go with the P7. Will get those installed tomorrow.

So, the Pirelli P7 is $154/tire. Pirelli is offering $70 rebate if I buy 4 and Discount Tire is offering $100 rebate on top of that. After all that, the Pirellis cost less than GT RT43. Looks like the Pirellis are similarly rated for comfort and performance, but outlasts GT. So,Ive decided to go with the P7. Will get those installed tomorrow.
$154 per tire on Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus 225/55R19 after all rebates, which is cheaper than General AltiMAX RT43, definitely is a better choice. Please report back your initial impression after you have P7 installed.

Checked DT Direct website the regular price is $139 each on detailed page although on list of 225/55R19 tires it says $154. DT offers Memorial Day Tire and Wheel Deals with $100 Prepaid Mastercard on 4 Best rated tires which includes Pirelli Cinturato P7™ AS+. But currently Pirelli offers $70 Prepaid Mastercard Card only on Pirelli P Zero or Scorpion tires, not Cinturato P7.

Remember the price on local Discount Tire Store is the same as online store Discount Tire Direct. You should ask your local DT matching the online price $139 before $100 rebate with the screen shot as the proof. You're not going to get Pirelli $70 rebate as promised.

No matter, any people need a new set of 225/55R19 tires should take advantage of this special offer by DT (5/25~5/28) getting Pirelli Cinturato P7™ AS+ with such a low price!

attachment.php

IMG_0293.PNG

Checked DT Direct website the regular price is $139 each on detailed page although on list of 225/55R19 tires it says $154. DT offers Memorial Day Tire and Wheel Deals with $100 Prepaid Mastercard on 4 Best rated tires which includes Pirelli Cinturato P7™ AS+. But currently Pirelli offers $70 Prepaid Mastercard Card only on Pirelli P Zero or Scorpion tires, not Cinturato P7.

Remember the price on local Discount Tire Store is the same as online store Discount Tire Direct. You should ask your local DT matching the online price $139 before $100 rebate with the screen shot as the proof. You're not going to get Pirelli $70 rebate as promised.

No matter, any people need a new set of 225/55R19 tires should take advantage of this special offer by DT (5/25~5/28) getting Pirelli Cinturato P7™ AS+ with such a low price!

This is awesome. Thank you! Will try this tomorrow and report back.

Back