New Tires on my 2016+ CX-9 (Continental ExtremeContact DWS06)

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 GT
It was time to change my Falken Ziex 20" tires on my CX-9. I made it to 42,000 miles with them, no real problems. Been researching on what tires to replace them with and was debating getting the Falken's again or go a different tire. After doing extensive reading I went with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. The Mazda dealer in the area wants to keep customers from going down the street to other tire shops and gave me the tires for $235 a piece and $80.00 for alignment. I get lifetime rotation and 2 year road hazard included. These tires were $256 on TireRack and Sears had them for $243.00.

So far my experience with these tires with a under 50 miles is the ride is quieter but that could be that the Falken's were already wearing down. We have rain coming this weekend so I will be seeing how they handle under those conditions. No snow down here in Florida but they didn't have the DW's available but I will be ready if it ever does snow here :) or we decide to have a road trip up north.

I will let you all know how the tires hold up as I put more miles on them.

I'll get pics up soon.

Why get an alignment when you buy new tires? If the car shows signs of needing alignment, either visible uneven tire wear or the car pulls to one side, get an alignment then. If the old tires wore evenly and the car didn't pull, save your $80.

Continental has been making very good tires recently. Yours should work out very well.

I havent had an alignment since getting the vehicle and it was a bit off. Typically I have seen tire installers require it to cover any issues with uneven tire wear.

That's a nice tire.
I ran a few sets of those DWS staggered on a rwd coupe for year 'round tires in CO and were pretty amazing in winter.
Without a need for snow or ice consideration, they may tend to be a bit more aggressive tread than you need but if the ride is nice, low noise and good touring/comfort ratings I seen, you'll be happy.

I'm not enthralled with the Yoko's (OEM) on our '16 CX-9 but will ride them out for full life and might go back to the Pirelli Scorpion Verde as I had on our previous CX-7. They were good on the awd, smooth and quiet.

I also closely monitor tire psi and look for even tire wear as indicators to skip an alignment. Many shops talk it up as if it's SOP but it really is a fix IF you have an issue.

Last edited:
I was helping a neighbor shop for tires and ran across Goodyear's newest, their Assurance WeatherReady. These look really good, very good survey ratings on tirerack.com, and good reviews...not many due to the newness of the model. These are all-weather tires. All season plus the severe snow certification. 60k treadlife warranty. All tire designs are a compromise. Better traction, especially winter traction, will result in faster summer tread wear. Goodyear has a half-dozen different Assurance models, some are truly mediocre, but these WeatherReady seem to be worth a good look.

They're costing about $190 everywhere for 255/50R20 109V, but Goodyear currently has a $100 rebate; $200 if you use a Goodyear credit card in a Goodyear company or franchise store or tirerack.com. Interestingly, Goodyear's corporate web site offers price matching if any seller has them cheaper. GY will ship the tires to one of their stores for installation.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/assurance-weatherready?cta=BBCardFullTireDetails

Our best all-weather traction, for Mother Nature's worst. Now you can feel confident with superior performance in even the harshest weather conditions.

With an asymmetric tread pattern and sweeping traction grooves to evacuate water and deliver excellent wet traction.

As the tire wears, Evolving Traction Grooves transition from deep grooves to wide grooves to help displace water on the road.

When the temperature drops, this tire steps up the performance*with Soybean oil in the rubber compound that helps the tread stay pliable and grip the road in extreme cold.

Specialized tread compounds help grip the road in wet, snow and ice*and earn Severe Snow Certification.

Does the soybean oil in the rubber compound mean that if you overheat them, they'll smell like french fries?

Just got new tires at Mazda on Saturday for my 2015 Grand Touring 20" OEM rims.

I got 40,000 exactly out of the OEM Bridgestones. Actually I went a bit too far and about hydro-planed off the road during a rain storm. My wife was like that's it, you need tires like now.

They quoted me on the stock Bridgestones at $912.00 out the door with alignment, tax, fees. etc. They offered a few $600-$800 options too and told them I wanted really quiet tires.

I settled on Yokohama's, forgot the model (see picture) for $782.00 out the door with alignment, tax, fees, etc. They had that buy 3 and get 1 free deal or whatever it is. I'm shocked how nice they ride but most of all they are really quiet.

Disregard the destroyed rims, my Truck is at Mazda now getting all 4 refinished. I have a rental CX-5. Just wanted to show the tires.

Untitled by jpjr501, on Flickr

Back