Parchment Leather getting hard

Let’s just assume, like any normal person would, that the OP is commenting on the suppleness of the leather seating surfaces in his parchment leather GT interior.(bang)

You do know how that is made, if its just the surface, right? It's a bible page thin slice of leather glued to a synthetic. This is why I asked if it's full thickness or just "leather seating surfaces" which is PC speak for the composite I described above.

Regardless, unless a manufacturer specifically states otherwise, water and a very mild soap and a soft rag are all that should be used. OP used chemicals that obviously disagree with whatever.

i looked up the specs and mazda refers to them as "leather trimmed" which after doing some research is a rather ambiguous term. it definitely means the seating portion is real leather but apparently that's all it needs to be, but "leather-trimmed" may also incorporate the back and side bolsters as well, but other parts such as the sides and back are not real leather. i'm curious to know in the cx5 just what parts of the seat is actual leather besides the actual seating portion

https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf/features--specs/2017/cx5/2017-mazda-cx-5-features-specs.pdf

You do know how that is made, if its just the surface, right? It's a bible page thin slice of leather glued to a synthetic. This is why I asked if it's full thickness or just "leather seating surfaces" which is PC speak for the composite I described above.

Regardless, unless a manufacturer specifically states otherwise, water and a very mild soap and a soft rag are all that should be used. OP used chemicals that obviously disagree with whatever.

I did not use any chemical.

The one I used is a widely used leather cleaner made by a company called "chemical guys".
The product has a very positive review on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Personally I don’t care for combination products that clean and condition. I would try another brand and split up the two functions.

Another thought is how much of this stuff do you use. A little goes a long ways when using detailing products.

So can OP take his car to the dealership and ask if they will warranty the seats because the leather is getting hard?

I would not recommend this. Oils attract dirt.

And most of leather in cars is coated... so putting on anything that you think will soak in is more likely to remove any coatings.

See this thread for more information on the leather in cars.... There is no bonded leather or leather attached to synthetic backings that i know of. Putting dissimilar materials together like that with the temperature swings in a car is a recipe for failure.

https://www.autopia.org/forums/interior-car-care/38219-understanding-types-leather.html

Another reason why I wish leather was not standard on higher trim levels and an extra cost option only. Fabric all the way for me. The amount of real leather you are actually getting is diminishing and even then as has already been stated you may have a wafer thin skimming of leather over an artificial surface. Waste of time and money.

Another reason why I wish leather was not standard on higher trim levels and an extra cost option only. Fabric all the way for me. The amount of real leather you are actually getting is diminishing and even then as has already been stated you may have a wafer thin skimming of leather over an artificial surface. Waste of time and money.

Don't believe all you read. I have never had a thin leather seat bonded to synthetic and unless someone can cite a source, then I don't believe it exists. The leather in my Mazdas' is real and lasts fine. I find it as durable and as real as what my Lexus had. I switched from cloth to leather 10 years ago as a requirement and I will never go back. Easier to clean, stains less, more comfortable in hot and cold weather.

For one I would NOT recommend Meguiars Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner Wipes.
It leaves the seats glossy and it smells like vomit for a while after.

Don't believe all you read. I have never had a thin leather seat bonded to synthetic and unless someone can cite a source, then I don't believe it exists. The leather in my Mazdas' is real and lasts fine. I find it as durable and as real as what my Lexus had. I switched from cloth to leather 10 years ago as a requirement and I will never go back. Easier to clean, stains less, more comfortable in hot and cold weather.

My jeep grand cherokee, my infiniti, my Corvette z06, all had this, and I bet your cx5 does too...

My jeep grand cherokee, my infiniti, my Corvette z06, all had this, and I bet your cx5 does too...

I am just looking for a source as i have not seen this in any of my cars and i have had to remove the seats in the past. Every car seat i have dissassembled with leather seating surfaces had normal thickness leather for seating surfaces. I can’t find anyone selling this hybrid leather product either.

So i am confident the leather seating surface in my CX-5 is the same solid leather that was in my other cars and on my furniture. The non-sit areas of the seats are vinyl.

There are so many suggestions on how to maintain the leather seats. Some suggest to take extra care, some suggest only to use soap water. I am so confused. (confused)

Why? Follow the manual.

Leather
Remove dust and sand first using a
vacuum cleaner or other means, then wipe
dirt off using a soft cloth with a leather
cleaner or a soft cloth soaked in mild
soap.
Wipe off the remaining cleaner or soap
using a cloth soaked in clean water and
wrung out well.
Remove moisture with a dry, soft cloth
and allow the leather to further dry in a
well-ventilated, shaded area. If the leather
gets wet such as from rain, also remove
moisture and dry it as soon as possible.

From my 2016.5's manual:
NOTE

Because genuine leather is a natural
material, its surface is not uniform and it
may have natural scars, scratches, and
wrinkles.
To maintain the quality for as long as
possible, periodical maintenance, about
twice a year, is recommended.
Sand and dust on the seat surface may
damage the overcoat of the genuine leather
surfaces and accelerate wear.
Greasy soiling on genuine leather may
cause molding and stains.
Rubbing hard with a stiff brush or cloth
may cause damage.
Do not wipe the leather using alcohol,
chlorine bleach, or organic solvents such as
thinner, benzene, or gasoline. Otherwise, it
may cause discoloration or stains.
If the seats get wet, promptly remove
moisture with a dry cloth. Remaining
moisture on the surface may cause
deterioration such as hardening and
shrinkage.
Exposure to direct sunlight for long periods
may cause deterioration and shrinkage.
When parking the car under direct sunlight
for long periods, shade the interior using
sunshades.
Do not leave vinyl products on the seats for
long periods as they may affect the leather
quality and coloring. If the cabin
temperature becomes hot, the vinyl may
deteriorate and adhere to the genuine
leather.

Not sure how to interpret "overcoat". However, I bought a sheepskin for my 2015 so the leather wouldn't make me sweat through my clothes and it had a cloth backing. Other than that, I can't imagine how a skin of leather over something synthetic could possibly be cheaper OR better in a car seat. Only cheaper or better justifies extra trouble to make a seat.

Last edited:
I am just looking for a source as i have not seen this in any of my cars and i have had to remove the seats in the past. Every car seat i have dissassembled with leather seating surfaces had normal thickness leather for seating surfaces. I can’t find anyone selling this hybrid leather product either.

So i am confident the leather seating surface in my CX-5 is the same solid leather that was in my other cars and on my furniture. The non-sit areas of the seats are vinyl.

I physically saw it once the leather cracked with age, except the corvette, and it was general knowledge on the forums, that.

I physically saw it once the leather cracked with age, except the corvette, and it was general knowledge on the forums, that.

It sounds like the cracked leather is just showing the unfinished leather below. And the forum knowledge is assumptions. I find no one selling a composite leather as you describe, but if i am wrong, i am glad i haven’t owned those vehicles.

But i would also be surprised if the automakers even tried this. Bonding dissimilar materials together would not work well in the temperature extremes of cars.

And why would this not be a solution for home furniture? Instead they use bonded leather (chopped and formed).

the thin leather bonded to synthetic sounds like internet folk lore to me.

It sounds like the cracked leather is just showing the unfinished leather below. And the forum knowledge is assumptions. I find no one selling a composite leather as you describe, but if i am wrong, i am glad i haven’t owned those vehicles.

But i would also be surprised if the automakers even tried this. Bonding dissimilar materials together would not work well in the temperature extremes of cars.

And why would this not be a solution for home furniture? Instead they use bonded leather (chopped and formed).

the thin leather bonded to synthetic sounds like internet folk lore to me.

Maybe. You've made logical points, I'll dig further. Really, I would like to hit up a junk yard...that could answer it in hand.

Back