Parchment Leather getting hard

cx5soum

:
2017 CX-5 GT
HI All,

I have a 2017 CX-5 GT with Parchment Leather interior purchased on May 30th 2017.
The leather seats felt comfortable and plush initially. I did not apply any sort of leather cleaner or cream for the initial 6 months as the car was being used only for short office commutes (5 miles a day). After 6 months I noticed blue stain from jeans and then decided to use Chemical Guys leather cleaner and conditioner. I have done this 3-4 times since then.

But now I fell like the leather has been hardened and not feeling plush anymore. What can be done in order to bring the softness back again and make it feel plush?
Shall I check with the dealer?
Is there any sort of warranty on leather seats?
Has anyone else having the same feeling with their leather seats?

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

HI All,

I have a 2017 CX-5 GT with Parchment Leather interior purchased on May 30th 2017.
The leather seats felt comfortable and plush initially. I did not apply any sort of leather cleaner or cream for the initial 6 months as the car was being used only for short office commutes (5 miles a day). After 6 months I noticed blue stain from jeans and then decided to use Chemical Guys leather cleaner and conditioner. I have done this 3-4 times since then.

But now I fell like the leather has been hardened and not feeling plush anymore. What can be done in order to bring the softness back again and make it feel plush?

Thanks guys!

You used leather cleaning products on something that isn't actually leather. Only use mild soap and water on seats like these is the advice I keep seeing over and over on the Corvette forums, etc. that I was on where people obsessed over detailing.

I use Gyeon Leather Coat on the black leather seats on my 2017 CX-5. Not wild about the smell, but it gives a seats a durable protective coating without shining them up.

You used leather cleaning products on something that isn't actually leather. Only use mild soap and water on seats like these is the advice I keep seeing over and over on the Corvette forums, etc. that I was on where people obsessed over detailing.

the GT which the OP owns has real leather, the touring has synthetic leather

HI All,

Thanks guys!
When we bought our 2016 GT, which also has parchment leather, the salesman told us to not use any chemical cleaning products to clean the leather. If I'm not mistaken, even the manual says to use just a damp towel or something like that to clean it. Honestly, I've never used any leather cleaner/conditioner on our CX-5 and I think it still looks pretty good.

Is it full thickness or just "leather seating surface"?

Let’s just assume, like any normal person would, that the OP is commenting on the suppleness of the leather seating surfaces in his parchment leather GT interior.(bang)

Last edited:
I had the same problem with Parchment on my 2016. White is a tough interior color to keep clean. My jeans would rub off and leave bluish colors on the seats. That's why on my 2017 I got the black interior. White looks cool but is not good for active daily use.

I had the same problem with Parchment on my 2016. White is a tough interior color to keep clean. My jeans would rub off and leave bluish colors on the seats. That's why on my 2017 I got the black interior. White looks cool but is not good for active daily use.

Should use some getto fab clear plastic liners !!!:)

IIRC Mr. Clean Magic Erasers (or generic equivalent) work wonders on the parchment seats.

IIRC Mr. Clean Magic Erasers (or generic equivalent) work wonders on the parchment seats.

yeah when damped those things clean out the white side foams of tennis shoes like it was a ....magic eraser. Any white/light colored fabric or material. Walls, shoes. Works good on tubs and glass stove tops. Works wonders on stainless steel appliances. Even hard water from glass.

Yes, that's what exactly I mean.

Guys, I am able to keep my leather seats without any stain marks.

The issue I have is, losing the softness of leather. Now its kinda hard and lost its suppleness. It does not feel plush anymore.

Well, the first thing is, stop using whatever it is you are using. I never put anything on the leather in my 2015 and the feel of the leather did not change, that I could tell. I would be cautious with the dealer; putting a chemical cleaner on the leather and complaining about the results will not get any warranty work, assuming softness is actually a warranty issue.

could it be that the conditioner is making the leather hard?
my last car was a BMW 535d with Nappa leather. I was told by people on forum to only use cleaner and "protector" for the leather.. conditioners are completely unnecessary because the modern day leathers are treated with some kind of poly coating that last "permanently". but maybe that's a BMW only thing.

I use Leather Master Strong Cleaner (you can try soft cleaner too but I would just dilute the strong) and Protection cream on the BMW Nappa and the leather still has that matte look after 3 years. (especially my steering wheel that tends to grease up and look shiny)

Well, the first thing is, stop using whatever it is you are using. I never put anything on the leather in my 2015 and the feel of the leather did not change, that I could tell. I would be cautious with the dealer; putting a chemical cleaner on the leather and complaining about the results will not get any warranty work, assuming softness is actually a warranty issue.

Thanks ColtX-5 for the suggestion.
How can I confirm if there is any warranty on the suppleness of the napa leather?

There are so many suggestions on how to maintain the leather seats. Some suggest to take extra care, some suggest only to use soap water. I am so confused. (confused)

There are so many suggestions on how to maintain the leather seats. Some suggest to take extra care, some suggest only to use soap water. I am so confused. (confused)
one thing I can tell you for sure is... do NOT use Magic eraser on your leather... it is abrasive and will eventually "damage" the leather itself (by removing coating / leather surface)

Thanks ColtX-5 for the suggestion.
How can I confirm if there is any warranty on the suppleness of the napa leather?

The term "Napa leather" does not apply to the cheaper hide that Mazda uses. If your BMW does in fact have that option, I would think you could tell the difference!

Back