Review: CX-9 vs. Subaru Ascent

meh...they lost me at CVT...
It'll still sell like hotcakes though, nice looking appliance.

exactly I would not buy a CVT especially from subaru or nissan, just google nissan or subaru CVT problems and run the other way

I’m sorry, but I don’t feel like paddle shifters are a MUST HAVE on an SUV. Not even close. You can easily use your manual shifter, when needed. I can see how they could be required on a sports car, or even a sporty coupe/sedan. But on an SUV??? Really??? You have got to be kidding me. I’d still pick my paddle shifter less 2016 CX-9 Sig over any similarly priced SUV any day of the week, and three times on Sundays. To me it’s not even close.

Honestly, the only things I wish my 2016 had was front parking assistance sensors (now available on 2018’s) and a larger moonroof. But I have no regrets. There will always be a compromise when buying a car.

Congrats on all of you getting your paddle shifters on your Ascent (or any other SUV). Go ahead and enjoy them once every 5 years. Sorry to say that I’m not jealous at all.

Whether or not paddle shifters a worthwhile addition on an SUV, I just don't get the point on a CVT at all. It's completely contrary to how the CVT works--NO GEARS.

My wife's last cars Ford Freestyle had a CVT. I liked it. It could have been better with a sport mode not paddle shifters. A CVT can keep an engine at it's peak power while adjusting the gear ratio for fast acceleration. Most people don't like or understand this sensation of not 'shifting' gears. If you prefer an auto a CVT should be better.

Still, I like the CX9 better, even though there are some trade-offs like cargo space for style. Ascent Touring seems to be good, but that is more expensive. This is boxy and reminds me of Pathfinder. I am happy with CX-9's AWD system and handles excellent in snow and rain.

Last edited:
Regarding paddle shifters, i live in Colorado and head up and down the mountains frequently. I therefore often use downshifting to keep descents down the passes slow as well as to encourage holding a gear while heading up. Paddle shifters make that effort easier than using the shifter. I’m not saying that paddle shifters are a deal breaker but i definitely view their existence as a big plus.

Out of curiosity, what's to "hate" or "drive you nuts" about paddle shifters? If you don't like them, then you don't have to use them, right?

They get in my way. I don't use the typical 10 & 2 positions. I usually rest my hands on the spokes of the wheel right where the shifters are in his car. It's the way I've always driven and can't change now.

Regarding paddle shifters, i live in Colorado and head up and down the mountains frequently. I therefore often use downshifting to keep descents down the passes slow as well as to encourage holding a gear while heading up. Paddle shifters make that effort easier than using the shifter. I’m not saying that paddle shifters are a deal breaker but i definitely view their existence as a big plus.

This is exactly how I feel as well living in the Sierra Nevadas. My wife's Outback has a CVT with paddle shifters and I really enjoy using them when descending on a mountain. A little bummed the CX-9 doesn't have them, especially for being a "sporty" SUV (NOTE: that is a very loosely defined term).

The biggest advantage that the Ascent has is the towing capacity. The Ascent was something I considered, but there were more reasons to justify getting the CX-9.

My wife and I are considering one of these two vehicles. The Ascent looks good on paper, but we test drove one today and we were completely underwhelmed. We like the second row captains chairs and the huge sunroof, and there was a lot of space. Great visibility also. But we both noticed the light steering (she has a CX-5, I have a Mazda 6) and it was just kinda meh. We dont need to be blown away by the cars or anything but I guess we enjoy all the little things that Mazdas do.

That said, I still remember the first time I drove a CX-9. I wanted to buy one that day.... lol. The Ascent on the other hand was a more forgettable experience.

What do you guys think of the new Honda Ridgeline? I have a 2011 Tundra and I just don't need a half ton truck anymore. I'm not towing 10,000 lbs and hauling that much anymore but we do need a vehicle with an open bed and all wheel drive for our rural living. I'm not a huge fan of the new GM mid-size trucks and the new Ranger is not in the running. I like the fact that the Ridgeline drives more like an SUV and it does have a great AWD system but oddly enough you cannot select and hold gears manually on that 6 speed box. It's got it's faults but if it proves to be reliable and holds resale as well as the last version it could be a sleeper.

I was getting gas and a new Ascent pulled up next to me and I asked them how they liked the vehicle and what kind of MPG were they getting. They really like the vehicle and chose it for it's interior size. They are averaging 20 mpg in mixed rural, suburban, highway conditions. I swear at the end of the day all these vehicles end up getting 20 mpg as an average. Or CX-9 AWD GT gets 21 all day long (20 if I hammer it a few times) unloaded with cross bars. People get so worked up over a few MPG's. My Tundra averages 16 mpg and at todays's prices unless your driving major miles every year the difference monetarily on an annual basis is really not that much.

Back