Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Review: CX-9 vs. Subaru Ascent

Registered Member

2018 CX-9 SIGNATURE

In most of the Ascent photos I've seen, the tires look too small for the body.

[IMG][/IMG]

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-9 GT

To me it's looks like the Outback on steroids.. which to most Suburu fans is a big bonus. It will sell well, especially in NE where Subarus are everywhere. Certainly way better than the awful B9 Tribeca they came out with years ago....

Not sure if I need 19 cupholders, but he Dash mounted 180 degrees camera is a nice feature... I don't care much for paddle mounted shifters, I think CVTs are bleh (I had a Murano with CVT and now also have a Rogue with CVT, and I will avoid CVTs now)..

This will keep Outback and Forrester owners from looking at other 3 rows CUVs

Registered Member

Intrigued by CX-9

I’m sorry, but I don’t feel like paddle shifters are a MUST HAVE on an SUV. Not even close. You can easily use your manual shifter, when needed. I can see how they could be required on a sports car, or even a sporty coupe/sedan. But on an SUV??? Really??? You have got to be kidding me. I’d still pick my paddle shifter less 2016 CX-9 Sig over any similarly priced SUV any day of the week, and three times on Sundays. To me it’s not even close.

Honestly, the only things I wish my 2016 had was front parking assistance sensors (now available on 2018’s) and a larger moonroof. But I have no regrets. There will always be a compromise when buying a car.

Congrats on all of you getting your paddle shifters on your Ascent (or any other SUV). Go ahead and enjoy them once every 5 years. Sorry to say that I’m not jealous at all.

2016 CX-5AWD GT+Tech/ 2018 CX-9AWD GT

meh...they lost me at CVT...
    It'll still sell like hotcakes though, nice looking appliance.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by concept View Post
    The hilarious thing about the comparison article is the writer demotes the CX-9 because it has no paddle shifters. So large, heavy vehicles are often driven at 8/10ths on winding roads at hyper-legal speeds? Uh, no, I would bet the percentage of CX-9 or any large SUV owners who use paddle shifters every day is so tiny, it'd be laughable.
    My 3 weighs less than 3100 lbs and after 4 years, I've used the paddle shifters only twice.
    I hate paddle shifters. My husband's outback has them and they drive me nuts.

One feature his car has that I love are the folding crossbars. I don't see why they weren't included on the ascent.

Then again, since my oil drinking forester had tranny problems starting at 10k and our '13 outback now has an extended warranty on it's transmission, I'll be staying far, far away!

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 2018 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Srad600 View Post
    meh...they lost me at CVT...
    It'll still sell like hotcakes though, nice looking appliance.
    exactly I would not buy a CVT especially from subaru or nissan, just google nissan or subaru CVT problems and run the other way

Registered Member

2017 CX9 Sig

Quote Originally Posted by stan66 View Post
    exactly I would not buy a CVT especially from subaru or nissan, just google nissan or subaru CVT problems and run the other way
    Hate CVTs...nuff said!

2012 CX-9 GT AWD, Copper Red/Sand

Quote Originally Posted by ChemGirl View Post
    I hate paddle shifters. My husband's outback has them and they drive me nuts.
    Out of curiosity, what's to "hate" or "drive you nuts" about paddle shifters? If you don't like them, then you don't have to use them, right?

2012 CX-9 GT AWD, Copper Red/Sand

Quote Originally Posted by phxzoom View Post
    I’m sorry, but I don’t feel like paddle shifters are a MUST HAVE on an SUV. Not even close. You can easily use your manual shifter, when needed. I can see how they could be required on a sports car, or even a sporty coupe/sedan. But on an SUV??? Really??? You have got to be kidding me. I’d still pick my paddle shifter less 2016 CX-9 Sig over any similarly priced SUV any day of the week, and three times on Sundays. To me it’s not even close.

Honestly, the only things I wish my 2016 had was front parking assistance sensors (now available on 2018’s) and a larger moonroof. But I have no regrets. There will always be a compromise when buying a car.

Congrats on all of you getting your paddle shifters on your Ascent (or any other SUV). Go ahead and enjoy them once every 5 years. Sorry to say that I’m not jealous at all.
    Whether or not paddle shifters a worthwhile addition on an SUV, I just don't get the point on a CVT at all. It's completely contrary to how the CVT works--NO GEARS.

Registered Member

2010 Mazda 5

My wife's last cars Ford Freestyle had a CVT. I liked it. It could have been better with a sport mode not paddle shifters. A CVT can keep an engine at it's peak power while adjusting the gear ratio for fast acceleration. Most people don't like or understand this sensation of not 'shifting' gears. If you prefer an auto a CVT should be better.
    2018 CX-9 Grand Touring
    2010 Mazda5 Sport Manual
    2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD
    2000 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 7.3 PSD
    1991 Miata

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12