CX-5 Oil

Okay quick update. No smoke out the exhaust and nothing leaking from underneath it. I checked the oil last night and everything was normal and I drove it quite a lot last night and it pulled strong and nothing strange. The car is not certified used, then i would have already complained to the dealership.

As of right now, the car is running fine. Am I going crazy? I completed everything as the owners manual stated, the right amount of oil and the weight as viscosity, the car is being babied and not ran hard, mostly commuting. FOR SURE I did see metal flakes on my last oil change and it's about 1300 miles since the last oil change. I will keep posting as time progresses but this is definitely something strange and because everything is running smoothly and normally.

(smash)

It's been 1,300 miles since last OC, burning at 1qt per 100 you should have used 13 quarts of oil in top up oil. Have you used 13 quarts since the last OC?

It's been 1,300 miles since last OC, burning at 1qt per 100 you should have used 13 quarts of oil in top up oil. Have you used 13 quarts since the last OC?

That's the thing, it hasn't burned any oil. I checked yesterday and everything was normal. The oil level was normal and the car basically behaved normally.

I was thinking about an oil change flush. Put new oil in for 1 week. Change it to remove any gunk.

That could be a good idea, but I think I'm going to wait until 5 thousand miles. I want to drive it normally as possible for normal results. I did wring it out a couple times and put it into "sport mode" just to see if everything is functioning properly and it did what it was supposed to do. I don't know if I should be worried or not... just sitting here and waiting. It's like the calm before the storm... I don't even know what to be doing while I wait until the miles rack up to 5k.

Am I going crazy? I completed everything as the owners manual stated, the right amount of oil and the weight as viscosity ⋯ (smash)
Heres part of your problem. You need at least 5 quarts of fresh 0W-20 oil for oil change, not 4.8 quarts specified in our owners manual. If you want oil level reaches the Full mark, you need about 5.3 quarts.

That's the thing, it hasn't burned any oil. I checked yesterday and everything was normal. The oil level was normal and the car basically behaved normally.

That could be a good idea, but I think I'm going to wait until 5 thousand miles. I want to drive it normally as possible for normal results. I did wring it out a couple times and put it into "sport mode" just to see if everything is functioning properly and it did what it was supposed to do. I don't know if I should be worried or not... just sitting here and waiting. It's like the calm before the storm... I don't even know what to be doing while I wait until the miles rack up to 5k.

Just keep an eye on it, these engines aren't known burners. Sport Mode won't tell you anything, all it really does is hold the gears longer and increases your RPMs. If consumption doesn't return and you're not seeing metal flakes at your next OC then don't lose sleep.

Here’s part of your problem. You need at least 5 quarts of fresh 0W-20 oil for oil change, not 4.8 quarts specified in our owner’s manual. If you want oil level reaches the “Full” mark, you need about 5.3 quarts.

I did not know that. I basically put in exactly 4.8 quarts. I'll try to remember the 5.3 quarts for next time and I will be sure to keep my eye on it and keep a sharp eye out for any irregularities when changing the oil.

Seriously, you guys are life savers and I appreciate all your input.

Here’s part of your problem. You need at least 5 quarts of fresh 0W-20 oil for oil change, not 4.8 quarts specified in our owner’s manual. If you want oil level reaches the “Full” mark, you need about 5.3 quarts.

Where do you get this stuff???? 4.8 quarts gives puts me exactly at full with a hot engine. So now you're telling folks to overfill? C'mon.

I did not know that. I basically put in exactly 4.8 quarts. I'll try to remember the 5.3 quarts for next time and I will be sure to keep my eye on it and keep a sharp eye out for any irregularities when changing the oil.

Seriously, you guys are life savers and I appreciate all your input.
Most DIYers simply put in 5 quarts of fresh oil and call it a day. The oil level will be at about ⅔ between "Add" and "Full" mark on the dipstick. Actually the oil level on all brand new CX-5's from factory is also at this level, never been filled to the "Full" mark.

Where do you get this stuff???? 4.8 quarts gives puts me exactly at full with a hot engine. So now you're telling folks to overfill? C'mon.
From my experience of 4 DIY oil changes. Besides, there're many DIYers are having the same observation.

Do you have Fumoto valve installed? Fumoto valve can't drain the oil cleanly as its thread extends through the drain hole.

The drain plug is an 8MM Allen size and I bought one (Sears) to use with my 3/8 inch ratchet wrench. I also bought a fram filter cup wrench (Wallmart) which makes the removal very easy. My engine is the 2.5L and it took 5.25 quarts of oil to hit the top mark. 5 quarts will get you about 3/4 of the way to the maximum level. Next time I will just dump in a 5Q jug and call it good. Easiest oil/filter change I can remember. Ed
Mine shows about 1/2 quart low after 4.8 quart change. I changed on ramps and let it drain for over an hour.
I put a 5Q jug in mine and call it good as it is about 3/4 up from the add line. ed
It basically took 5.3 quarts to get get it exactly at the top dot. I must have really drained it out.
Owners manual on 2015 CX-5 says 4.8 US quarts. I put in the full 5 qt jug, and as others have said, that brings it up about 2/3 the way to the full line, perfect. That makes it a pretty easy process to just buy a 5 qt jug each time.

Did you reset the oil monitor? How much is the engine over filled? If less than 1/4 inch or 6mm I'd not be concerned. Ed

I recently changed my engine oil and accidentally overfilled above the highest mark. Could this be the reason why I'm getting a "change oil" warning?
No, overfill a bit won't cause that. You need to reset your Maintenance on Oil Change under Vehicle Status Monitor after each oil change.

Did this. Message is still there. Com other options other than wait for my 20k oil change... ?
What does the oil life say in km after your reset? Did it increase to 12,000 km / 7,500 miles (US maintenance schedule)?

Nah, I had a mustang 5.0 that burned 1 quart every 750-900 miles, and you could neither see it, nor did it impact performance. This is also without any emissions equipment. over time, that would have killed the cats, were they there.

if you are burning this much oil, it most certainly is impacting performance...

OP, did you see metal flakes after the first oil change in the vehicles life, or did you see it later on? if you saw it later on, that is NOT good.

if you are burning this much oil, it means you drove the car aggressively when it was still new. bad idea.

if you are changing your own oil and worried about consumption, you might want to switch to a thicker oil weight to stop most of the consumption.

Back