Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CX-5 Oil

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

+1. Don't overthink this. Ed

Registered Member

Y is right here. I used 5 quarts to fill mine and discovered I needed a bit more to get to the full mark.

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by erhayes View Post
    +1. Don't overthink this. Ed Gein
    Right. Try using a 5w30 oil and you may notice less consumption. Also if you are concernedabout metal.

Registered Member

CX5

Quote Originally Posted by erhayes View Post
    +1. Don't overthink this. Ed
    I recently changed my engine oil and accidentally overfilled above the highest mark. Could this be the reason why I'm getting a "change oil" warning?

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

Did you reset the oil monitor? How much is the engine over filled? If less than 1/4 inch or 6mm I'd not be concerned. Ed

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow CX-5 Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson de Leon View Post
    I recently changed my engine oil and accidentally overfilled above the highest mark. Could this be the reason why I'm getting a "change oil" warning?
    No, overfill a bit won't cause that. You need to reset your Maintenance on Oil Change under Vehicle Status Monitor after each oil change.

Registered Member

CX5

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    No, overfill a bit won't cause that. You need to reset your Maintenance on Oil Change under Vehicle Status Monitor after each oil change.
    It was preset at 20,000 km by the dealer. I had my oil changed at 15,000. I'll try.

Registered Member

CX5

It was preset at 20,000 km by the dealer. I had my oil changed at 15,000. I'll try.
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Did this. Message is still there. Com other options other than wait for my 20k oil change... ?

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow CX-5 Oil

Did this. Message is still there. Com other options other than wait for my 20k oil change... ?
    What does the oil life say in km after your reset? Did it increase to 12,000 km / 7,500 miles (US maintenance schedule)?

Banned

2015 Mazda 6

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Nah, I had a mustang 5.0 that burned 1 quart every 750-900 miles, and you could neither see it, nor did it impact performance. This is also without any emissions equipment. over time, that would have killed the cats, were they there.
    if you are burning this much oil, it most certainly is impacting performance...

OP, did you see metal flakes after the first oil change in the vehicles life, or did you see it later on? if you saw it later on, that is NOT good.

if you are burning this much oil, it means you drove the car aggressively when it was still new. bad idea.

if you are changing your own oil and worried about consumption, you might want to switch to a thicker oil weight to stop most of the consumption.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by MoistMazdas View Post
    if you are burning this much oil, it most certainly is impacting performance...

OP, did you see metal flakes after the first oil change in the vehicles life, or did you see it later on? if you saw it later on, that is NOT good.

if you are burning this much oil, it means you drove the car aggressively when it was still new. bad idea.

if you are changing your own oil and worried about consumption, you might want to switch to a thicker oil weight to stop most of the consumption.
    That oil change must have been the 3rd or 4th one, but it was the second oil change that I completed while it was in my possession. The first oil change I did on the CX-5 was completely fine and normal.

At the moment, the car seems to have stopped burning oil and seems to be running fine. I did not run the car hard as my wife is the primary driver and literally just uses it to commute to and from work and was not ran hard; mostly just stop and go traffic. We do use it over the weekends but I do like to switch off with my car (09 Nissan Versa )

I will keep everyone posted as I am planning on doing another oil change after 5,000 Miles. Currently, we have driven it about 1,500 miles, give or take a hundred miles.

Thanks everyone for all your input!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123