2016~2023 CX-9 Brake Life

:
2018 CX-9 SIGNATURE
Went into the dealership this morning for 5000 mile service.

Loved the relaxed vibe in the shop.

Met a mechanic there who gave me 20 minutes of his time.

He answered all my Mazda questions. Nice guy!

He said with normal driving, the brakes on the CX-9 should be good up to 80-90k miles and probably more.

I had no idea they'd last that long.

Also, the brake parts (at this dealership anyway) are guaranteed. When you get a brake job,
you only pay for labor.

Has anyone else had this experience with their dealership?

I'm feeling better and better about buying from Nelson.

Oh and a salesman told me people are driving Infinity''s, Audi's and BMW's in there and buying CX-9's. (sun)

My last car (German) had rear brake bias to avoid the nose from diving during heavier braking hence the rears wore quicker.

I am guessing the CX-9 is the same.

I had the front brakes on my 2012 CX-9 GT done at the last service (60,000 miles), rear brakes are good for a long while yet. I have a lot of stop/go driving in heavy traffic, so if you drive mostly highway at highway speeds you should get better mileage. The adaptive cruise control is probably better on the brakes too.

He said with normal driving, the brakes on the CX-9 should be good up to 80-90k miles and probably more.
Absolute total B.S. The mechanic knows nothing about your driving. If you drive in heavy traffic where you're on & off & on the brakes frequently, they'll wear fast. If you drive heavy on mountain roads and don't downshift on down grades, the brakes will wear fast. If you drive freeways with multi-hour stretches where you never touch the brakes, they'll wear for a very long time. Automatic brake use by the adaptive cruise control also adds to brake wear.

the brake parts (at this dealership anyway) are guaranteed. When you get a brake job,
you only pay for labor.
You'll pay. Oh, boy, you'll pay. You may not see a charge for the parts, but you may faint at the number of hours charged for the labor.

Went into the dealership this morning for 5000 mile service.

(sun)

My OEM pad/rotors have 88,000 miles on them, with mixed city/highway driving. ~6-8 mm remaining on the pads. Rotors pulsing mildly.

Absolute total B.S. The mechanic knows nothing about your driving. If you drive in heavy traffic where you're on & off & on the brakes frequently, they'll wear fast. If you drive heavy on mountain roads and don't downshift on down grades, the brakes will wear fast. If you drive freeways with multi-hour stretches where you never touch the brakes, they'll wear for a very long time. Automatic brake use by the adaptive cruise control also adds to brake wear.

You'll pay. Oh, boy, you'll pay. You may not see a charge for the parts, but you may faint at the number of hours charged for the labor.

Isn't that why the mechanic said normal driving?!?! No the OP's driving, but normal driving?!?

I have to say that I've never had brakes last longer than on my CX-9. And I am not a gentle driver! My front pads wore out first at 107,000 miles. I went ahead and had front and back done. And I didn't have new rotors or have rotors turned. They looked and felt fine to me. 155,000 and still going. So I'm definitely a believer in OEM Mazda pads and rotors.

80-90K is quite a far stretch, but not unachievable if you do lots of highway driving.

I live in NYC and am on my 2nd CX9 and NEVER had a good experience with the OEM front brake components. In my 2008 it was always a fight with the dealer as I went for the $$$ once and had them do rotors and pads. Pads were lifetime but the rotors didn't last 12K miles . But it took over the 1 year warranty to hit 12K miles so it was a fight. They would say past warranty and I would say why should I be penalized for doing low miles, your product should last. The vibration was so bad that the side view mirrors would shake if you slowed from highway speed. I would say to them that your OEM product doesn't last 12K miles, WTF! Now I just had my 2013 in for oil service and I asked if the pads needed replacement and was told no, but I said that the vibration when slowing from highway speed is bad, the Svc Rep said rotor run-out. So when i looked at the rotors the middle section with the cooling veins , it was totally rusted. Maybe its because of being in the NE section of the country, I don't know. I just purchased Raybestos front rotors with the rust coating technology and pads and will be doing a brake job shortly. That's just my$0.02.

Brake judder does not mean that the rotors have reached the end of their life. Most likely the problem is brake pad material unevenly deposited on the surface of the rotor. This can be cleaned by sandpapering the rotor surface and washing it with solvent. Turning the rotor also works. Rotors almost never warp. Rust in the cooling vents is not a problem. Rotors are cast iron, and especially in areas that salt the roads in winter, expect rust. After many years this may weaken the fins and cause problems, but not in just a couple of years. Reduction of air flow due to the rust may increase the problem of pad material deposition. Run out measurements need to be compared to the measurements when new, which is never done. New, well made rotors on clean hubs may have a few thousandths run out. Here's more:
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths
http://www.ferodo.com/support/light-vehicles/technical-tips/Brake-Judder.html
http://www.jurid.com/technical-support/light-vehicles/technical-tips/brake-judder.html

PTguy - I'm just stating the experiences I had with OEM rotors and pads. My wife drove the car mostly so it wasn't speed to corner and slam the brakes, speed to next corner, etc. I was easy miles and no matter what the rotors were always the issue. Dealer made the point of saying they were rusted beyond any fix more than once. Hopefully the raybestos rotors are a better product. I'll find out soon enough.

I had the front brakes on my 2012 CX-9 GT done at the last service (60,000 miles), rear brakes are good for a long while yet. I have a lot of stop/go driving in heavy traffic, so if you drive mostly highway at highway speeds you should get better mileage. The adaptive cruise control is probably better on the brakes too.

Adaptive cruise should make it worse... as it breaks when you might just change lane or depress the gas pedal.

Mine has 80% left after 30,000 kms (aprox. 18,600 miles)...seems a 100,000 miles is achievable with these OEM pads.

Talk to us once you reach 80,000 miles and see how many rotors & pads you've gone through!! lol.
I can't speak for the newer cx-9's, but i can speak for the V6 models which are heavy vehicles with small brakes and they eat brakes all the time.
I'm always envious when I see some soccer mom driving a Dodge Durango with Brembo brakes (true story).
No Brembo packages made for cx-9's. I would've upgraded if I could have.

I'm nearing 28K miles and I've been hearing squeaking from my front brakes for weeks now...last time I went to the dealer they told me I was at 40%? (it was orange).... No way in hell they're lasting 80K.
I live in Southern California...some hills, nothing crazy. I hit a few lights on the way to work. Back roads. No highways, no stop and go. Rarely use adaptive cruise control.

Your caliper pin grease may need attention. Put some AGS Sil-Glyde on your pins and you will be amazed. High temp siliconized grease. Fixed all squeaking for me.

I hit 45K and my rears were close to replacing; I could have gone to 50K, but figured to take care if it now. Fronts are fine with plenty of life. CX-9 (2017) has rear brake bias (also, I am a heavy braker).
Other than that, loving my CX-9.

Back