Thread: CX-9 Brake Life

Registered Member

2018 CX-9 SIGNATURE

CX-9 Brake Life

Went into the dealership this morning for 5000 mile service.

Loved the relaxed vibe in the shop.

Met a mechanic there who gave me 20 minutes of his time.

He answered all my Mazda questions. Nice guy!

He said with normal driving, the brakes on the CX-9 should be good up to 80-90k miles and probably more.

I had no idea they'd last that long.

Also, the brake parts (at this dealership anyway) are guaranteed. When you get a brake job,
    you only pay for labor.

Has anyone else had this experience with their dealership?

I'm feeling better and better about buying from Nelson.

Oh and a salesman told me people are driving Infinity''s, Audi's and BMW's in there and buying CX-9's.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Signature

Should have asked why rear brakes would quicker than the front

Registered Member

2016 CX-9 GT

My last car (German) had rear brake bias to avoid the nose from diving during heavier braking hence the rears wore quicker.

I am guessing the CX-9 is the same.

Registered Member

2018 CX-9 SIGNATURE

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
    My last car (German) had rear brake bias to avoid the nose from diving during heavier braking hence the rears wore quicker.

I am guessing the CX-9 is the same.
    He told me that the rear do go first. Hella good mileage on the brakes nonetheless.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 2012 Grand Touring FWD

I had the front brakes on my 2012 CX-9 GT done at the last service (60,000 miles), rear brakes are good for a long while yet. I have a lot of stop/go driving in heavy traffic, so if you drive mostly highway at highway speeds you should get better mileage. The adaptive cruise control is probably better on the brakes too.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

He said with normal driving, the brakes on the CX-9 should be good up to 80-90k miles and probably more.
    Absolute total B.S. The mechanic knows nothing about your driving. If you drive in heavy traffic where you're on & off & on the brakes frequently, they'll wear fast. If you drive heavy on mountain roads and don't downshift on down grades, the brakes will wear fast. If you drive freeways with multi-hour stretches where you never touch the brakes, they'll wear for a very long time. Automatic brake use by the adaptive cruise control also adds to brake wear.

the brake parts (at this dealership anyway) are guaranteed. When you get a brake job,
    you only pay for labor.
    You'll pay. Oh, boy, you'll pay. You may not see a charge for the parts, but you may faint at the number of hours charged for the labor.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Fruitwolf View Post
    Went into the dealership this morning for 5000 mile service.

My OEM pad/rotors have 88,000 miles on them, with mixed city/highway driving. ~6-8 mm remaining on the pads. Rotors pulsing mildly.

Banned

2015 Mazda 6

80-90K is quite a far stretch, but not unachievable if you do lots of highway driving.

Registered Member

CX-9

Quote Originally Posted by PTguy View Post
    Absolute total B.S. The mechanic knows nothing about your driving. If you drive in heavy traffic where you're on & off & on the brakes frequently, they'll wear fast. If you drive heavy on mountain roads and don't downshift on down grades, the brakes will wear fast. If you drive freeways with multi-hour stretches where you never touch the brakes, they'll wear for a very long time. Automatic brake use by the adaptive cruise control also adds to brake wear.

You'll pay. Oh, boy, you'll pay. You may not see a charge for the parts, but you may faint at the number of hours charged for the labor.
    Isn't that why the mechanic said normal driving?!?! No the OP's driving, but normal driving?!?

Registered Member

I have to say that I've never had brakes last longer than on my CX-9. And I am not a gentle driver! My front pads wore out first at 107,000 miles. I went ahead and had front and back done. And I didn't have new rotors or have rotors turned. They looked and felt fine to me. 155,000 and still going. So I'm definitely a believer in OEM Mazda pads and rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistMazdas View Post
    80-90K is quite a far stretch, but not unachievable if you do lots of highway driving.