Rhythmic thumping braking sound on new CX-5

cjaydb

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD
Hey guys,

I just recently leased a brand new 2018 GT AWD 3 days ago and I've noticed a weird rhythmic thumping sound every time I brake from going ~20mph+. The thumping sound gets louder the harder I brake, especially if I'm going over 35mph+. At the moment I'm assuming that this is normal for break in? When I got the car it only had 25 miles on the odometer. Currently I have a total of 95 miles on it so far. There's no squeaking sound as if brake pads are worn out, I don't notice any vibrations through the steering wheel, and I think it seems to be coming from the rear passenger side mostly. Unfortunately, I won't be able to take it to the dealer until Thursday as I have work. Has anybody experienced anything like this or have any ideas? I'll call the dealership in the morning but I'm assuming they're going to want me to take it in anyway. In the meantime, I'm considering doing several more controlled hard brakes to see if that will get rid of it.

Thanks!

Not normal at all. I'd do several forceful rolling stops from ~50 MPH. If that doesn't remove what is sticking to a brake disc then back to the dealer. Ed

The brakes are very important to break in properly. I would avoid any extra UNNECESSARY hard braking until dealer can inspect your noise.

I would not do some 'forceful' braking. This is specifically mentioned NOT to do during initial break in.

This is not even remotely normal. Take it to the dealer. Even if something is 'sticking' as Mr Hayes suggests, I'd still get it looked at.

Agreed on no hard stops during break-in period. Take your new CX-5 to Mazda dealer first. May be the braking noise is caused by lack of lubricant on sliding pins found by some new CX-5 owners.

2018 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual said:
Driving Tips

Break-In Period

No special break-in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 1,000 km (600 miles) may add to the performance, economy, and life of the vehicle.

 Do not race the engine.
 Do not maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast, for a long period of time.
 Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time.
 Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
 Avoid full-throttle starts.
 Do not tow a trailer.

Dang, wish I read this before taking it to work. I'll have to do it 1st thing in the morning tomorrow and arrange a ride.

Driving ~15 miles this morning, one way, was the longest I've taken it out so far. I do notice now with braking on speeds over 50+ the "womp womp" thumping sound gets drowned out by the road). It's more noticeable when I'm braking between 25-45mph, louder the harder or deeper I press on the brake pedal. I guess it's good its easily reproducible. I'll see what happens after they check it out and let you guys know.

Thanks for answering! Hopefully all goes well on the ride home =/

so it turns out there was a rust spot on the rotor... dealer cleaned it off and lubricate the read passenger side. No more thumping sound! I was just surprised at how fast a rust spot formed being it's so brand new. Oh well, guess that's living near the ocean for you.

By the way, is it just me or does the CX-5 have a relatively deep travel on the brake pedal? I'm coming from a Nissan Juke, didn't have to step deep on the brake pedal to come to a complete stop...

Yup, deep and soft, but it stops fine. Just a matter of getting used to it.

Rust spots could form on rotors overnight especially during a rainstorm or high humidity...like living near the ocean. If you don't drive it for a few days, high spots will form.

Hard braking when the owners manual specifically says NOT to brake hard during the break-in procedure, on top of the fact that his car is making an abnormal sound while braking? sounds like a great idea!

Back