Upgrading to LED Fog Lights

Breeegz

Looking for John Connor
Contributor
:
2003 Protege 5 -- 2016 Ford Expedition
DC6QlEQ.jpg

Bought some new H3 bulbs for the fogs the other day, they're primarily 6000k color, but if you cycle them quickly they will turn to a 3000k color for when it's actually foggy.

L4mcTsG.jpg

after taking the bumper off and getting the glass out, there seems to be a slight size difference. (bang)

nYUzke9.jpg

Has anyone had any experience with drilling a hole in the back of the Fog Light Housing? Looks like the LED part fits in the glass without trouble in my test fit.

Last edited:
That housing needs to be sealed.

HAving said that, if the bulb itself fits in the glass portion of the housing without issue, and your fitment problem is clearance on the rear cover, then drill away it is only plastic. just make sure you seal it up real well with some high temp silicone when you're done or you'll end up with water/condensation inside the lens.

Yeah, I did an oem pr of fogs with 3000k H3c bulbs and did the drilling on the back of housing. I was able to use the grommet from the HID wiring and then sealed it around the opening more. Did the same thing to a pr of Hella 50ff fogs on my truck.

Whelp, I just finished putting my bumper back on. I think the glass portion is sealed (ish), but the back portion won't be able to seal since the bulb has that giant heatsink, and it pulls air across it for cooling. I'll monitor for condensation, and make a new plan if I start having problems.

I have pics whenever I get around to uploading them.

I also did the foglight switch mod, so they don't turn off with the high beams. Now they won't switch to yellow if I flash my high beams.

Last edited:
Back