Can you remove LED DRL fuse on 2016 CX5 GT - Very disappointed in Mazda

Those eBay and Amazon CX-5 headlights with LED DRLs don't have AFS function, and many have halogen headlights. In addition, these aftermarket headlights may not be compatible with OEM LED headlights as the they're designed to fit OEM halogen headlights which use high-beam for DRLs.

You can probably source OEM housings from salvage yard EBAY postings is you really want the AFS function.

Count me as a victim. My warranty just ran out in May. Drivers side light was replaced in Jan, now passenger side is out. Mazda wanna me to pay half the bill at $641.31.

I was wondering is there a fuse that can be removed to shut off the LED DRL's on the 2016 CX5 GT. I noticed my passenger DRL has dimmed and is flickering. My car is out of warranty and I am not about to fork out money to replace the whole light assembly. Any insight would be great.

I have to say, I am not happy with this 2016 CX-5. I switched to Mazda because of the great 'quality' and I haven't seen that so far. The car is not even 3 years old and I have had various sensors replaced, brake rotors replaced due to insane rust issues at 45,000k, transmission replaced at 68,000k and now at 87,000k my LED headlight is on the fritz....It's such a nice looking car but the quality is not there. This will likely be my last Mazda.

Yes there is a DRL fuse on the 2016. I pulled mine and it turned them off.

My 2016 DRL on the driver's side just started flickering and is barely on. I will have had the vehicle for three years next month with 43,000 miles. I'm planning on calling Mazda North America with my problem. It looks like there are many of us that have this flaw.

Is there anywhere I can find a list of how many people (on this site) have this problem and what Mazda's response was? I'm not going to pay that insane price to replace the entire unit. So I'm hoping to have some ammunition, so-to-speak, when I make the call.

For what it's worth, I love my CX-5. It drives like a little sports car, but if Mazda doesn't step up for this known flaw, I won't be a repeat customer.

I dumped my 2009 RAV4 because Toyota lied about and refused to pay for rear suspension adjustment links. Long story short they told the gov’t they came up with a solution to stop the parts from rusting and failing. They had dealers epoxy the parts together and therefore took the adjustments out of the rear suspension, they called it lifetime, lol.
My car was out of alignment and two Indy shops would not touch it as Toyota put a tag on the links saying not to take them apart.
Well, if you needed an alignment you would need to have the dealer break the epoxy, align the wheels, and re epoxy. The cost was $300 or so from what they quoted me.
They told this to everyone for years.
Recently, maybe a year or so ago they have been forced to redesign and pay for a real fix.

Mazda will get caught on this light catastrophe as well.

Last edited:
My 2016 DRL on the driver's side just started flickering and is barely on. I will have had the vehicle for three years next month with 43,000 miles. I'm planning on calling Mazda North America with my problem. It looks like there are many of us that have this flaw.

Is there anywhere I can find a list of how many people (on this site) have this problem and what Mazda's response was? I'm not going to pay that insane price to replace the entire unit. So I'm hoping to have some ammunition, so-to-speak, when I make the call.

For what it's worth, I love my CX-5. It drives like a little sports car, but if Mazda doesn't step up for this known flaw, I won't be a repeat customer.
I called, was given a case number and told the next day that I would have to pay $641.31 for the headlight assembly installed.

I wont be a repeat customer either even though this is my second Mazda. I dont like getting screwed for a know defect.

I will soon be mailing to Mazda corporate copies of this and other net threads about all the pissed off customers.

Last edited:

Another victim of failed LED DRLs without warranty. You can go to this thread for the history and information of failed LED DRLs on 2016 CX-5's; and towards the later part for the information on how are the Mazda North American Operations handling this case right now.

Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Equally, take care as LED running lights sell cars because of the immediate visual impact they make so even cheap cars are getting them now. Would another manufacturer be any more forgiving than Mazda when it comes to warranty? Hmmm.

My DRL failed at 37 months and 35,800, just sayin
Yep, both of mine failed in August last year, at 30 months and 19,000 miles. Friend's one failed at 37 months and 19,500 miles.

Equally, take care as LED running lights sell cars because of the immediate visual impact they make so even cheap cars are getting them now. Would another manufacturer be any more forgiving than Mazda when it comes to warranty? Hmmm.
It really depends. LED is supposed to last a lot longer. Somehow either Mazda or Stanley screwed up something which makes the LED DRLs on 2016 CX-5 failing much earlier than they suppose to be. Worse, the price for replacement is very high which makes car owners feel not reasonable. IMO Mazda really should stand up and take responsibility of this matter and extend the warranty on these LED headlights like the early days. By not doing this, I'm afraid many 2016 CX-5 owners will refuse to buy another Mazda like the OP and my friend because they all feel it's unreasonable for LEDs failing so early than everybody else, and so expensive to replace. This's another example of "penny wise, pound foolish" decision by MNAO, especially when those victims found out MNAO indeed was replacing these failing LED headlights without warranty for free in early days! The result is their customer-retention rate will go down, not up in US market as predicted by their CEO Masamichi Kogai who wants to improve the brand's below-industry-average customer-retention rate to 60 percent!

It really depends. LED is supposed to last a lot longer. Somehow either Mazda or Stanley screwed up something which makes the LED DRLs on 2016 CX-5 failing much earlier than they suppose to be. Worse, the price for replacement is very high which makes car owners feel not reasonable. IMO Mazda really should stand up and take responsibility of this matter and extend the warranty on these LED headlights like the early days. By not doing this, I'm afraid many 2016 CX-5 owners will refuse to buy another Mazda like the OP and my friend because they all feel it's unreasonable for LEDs failing so early than everybody else, and so expensive to replace. This's another example of "penny wise, pound foolish" decision by MNAO, especially when those victims found out MNAO indeed was replacing these failing LED headlights without warranty for free in early days! The result is their customer-retention rate will go down, not up in US market as predicted by their CEO Masamichi Kogai who wants to improve the brand's below-industry-average customer-retention rate to 60 percent!
Excellent post and on point. I will be looking at Honda/Acura next, especially since my new neighbor is the plant manager for the company that builds the electronics for Honda in Tarboro NC.

Did he have to pay anything?

Are the replacement units a newer version and reliable?
Mine was within new-car warranty when both failed. But I waited until the last week before the warranty expired to take my CX-5 in for warranty service with 9 other issues hoping to get the latest version possible on LED headlight. Yeah I got "J" version for both where the LED DRLs now look like dot-matrix type.

My friend was not as lucky. He noticed flickering DRL on passenger side then driver side one month out of warranty at 19,500 miles. He was mad to learn MNAO wanted him to pay $400 for both, and he sweared to me he'll never get a third Mazda!

Mine was within new-car warranty when both failed. But I waited until the last week before the warranty expired to take my CX-5 in for warranty service with 9 other issues hoping to get the latest version possible on LED headlight. Yeah I got "J" version for both where the LED DRLs now look like dot-matrix type.

My friend was not as lucky. He noticed flickering DRL on passenger side then driver side one month out of warranty at 19,500 miles. He was mad to learn MNAO wanted him to pay $400 for both, and he sweared to me he'll never get a third Mazda!
So right now I have perhaps the J on drivers side since it was replaced in Jan 2018?
Lights were mismatched anyways?
I might pay for the new headlight and continue the battle for restitution.
In the meantime I will be looking at Honda and Nissan

Excellent post and on point. I will be looking at Honda/Acura next, especially since my new neighbor is the plant manager for the company that builds the electronics for Honda in Tarboro NC.
I have a 1998 Honda CR-V with 181,250 miles. It's the most reliable vehicle I've ever had. But I'd be hesitate getting a new Honda as its recent reliability record is not as good as before. It's new 1.5T suffers oil dilution issue in some area worldwide. I also don't like the CVT Honda uses mainly I still don't have enough confidence on longevity of any CVTs.

I'm looking forward to seeing the brand new 2019 Toyota RAV4 with new 203/206hp naturally-aspirated、direct- and port-injected Dynamic Force 2.5L I4 and Direct Shift-8AT 8-speed automatic. Fuel efficiency should be the best among all compact CUVs, with always the best reliability rating to boot.

Last edited:

The whole "LEDs last for years and years" is an unfortunate half-lie. The diodes themselves are long lived but they require electronics to work - and those are not nearly as long lived. The common failure is a capacitor in the driver electronics. Capacitors are basically little chemical batteries and are prone to failure when exposed to heat. Every additional 10 degrees halves their life. It's possible to engineer good solutions but it seems that most LED lamp manufacturers are not doing so - maybe the cost becomes prohibitive at a mass production scale or it's an issue where the component meets their specs, but perhaps the specs are not covering what they really need.

Good article about this https://www.edn.com/design/analog/4...c-capacitors--A-case-study-in-LED-light-bulbs

I have about 60 LED overheads in my house from a good name brand (Lithonia) and 20% failed within 2 years. Replaced under warranty but now I avoid integrated LED light fixtures - failure is inevitable and replacement is difficult and expensive.

Can anyone list the years/trims that are having this specific problem?
Was it just 16 GTs?
AND... are the ones that are failing the ones that used just the accent lights for DRLs, and didn't use the headlight itself as well like they do now?

We get 3 years or 60k warranty with an option to extend it at a cost.

When Mazda look at whether they will contribute depending on a number of factors. If it’s inside the warranty period it would be 100% here but if it went beyond, they may contribute. If it was a fairly inert part like a bracket, they may contribute more as you wouldn’t expect to fail but something like a steering joint will have a limited life. I can’t imagine how many hours a headlight might be lit in 60,000 miles but a lot. It’s a completely sealed throw away part (not serviceable). Are these warranty rejections from the dealer or direct from MNAO?

Back