Can you remove LED DRL fuse on 2016 CX5 GT - Very disappointed in Mazda

bgwilliams78

:
Mazda CX-5 GT
I was wondering is there a fuse that can be removed to shut off the LED DRL's on the 2016 CX5 GT. I noticed my passenger DRL has dimmed and is flickering. My car is out of warranty and I am not about to fork out money to replace the whole light assembly. Any insight would be great.

I have to say, I am not happy with this 2016 CX-5. I switched to Mazda because of the great 'quality' and I haven't seen that so far. The car is not even 3 years old and I have had various sensors replaced, brake rotors replaced due to insane rust issues at 45,000k, transmission replaced at 68,000k and now at 87,000k my LED headlight is on the fritz....It's such a nice looking car but the quality is not there. This will likely be my last Mazda.

In US Mazda is ready to fork out $1500 for out of warranty headlights. Try calling Canada Mazda and refer them to this fact.
In reality - those halo headlights are 90% of what makes this car bad ass looking from front. Dont let it go. I would invest 400 dollars to get the new spec LEDs which have more dot like pattern.

damn unlucky repairs, that's not normal. the DRL failing is. Mazda canada might be able to help you, it's a known issue. A lot of the 16cx5 GTs I see on the road have the new dot matrix LEDs because of how unreliable the DRLs on the 16s are. The new versions are much more reliable, but output less blue light. Anyway, there probably is a DRL fuse (there was one on my 16 touring) but you can also disable it in the meantime by using this guide. it's a b**** to pull off but it works if you nail the process down correctly
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=216519&d=1494012627
saw a VW the other day with a failed DRL, i see them every so often. i probably see more failed DRLs than actual headlights now.

Last edited:
I was wondering is there a fuse that can be removed to shut off the LED DRL's on the 2016 CX5 GT. I noticed my passenger DRL has dimmed and is flickering. My car is out of warranty and I am not about to fork out money to replace the whole light assembly. Any insight would be great.

I have to say, I am not happy with this 2016 CX-5. I switched to Mazda because of the great 'quality' and I haven't seen that so far. The car is not even 3 years old and I have had various sensors replaced, brake rotors replaced due to insane rust issues at 45,000k, transmission replaced at 68,000k and now at 87,000k my LED headlight is on the fritz....It's such a nice looking car but the quality is not there. This will likely be my last Mazda.
Recently a friend of mine said the same thing while looking for a new car. I feel sorry because he took my suggestion twice getting a new 2009 Mazda6 and a new 2016 CX-5. But his 19,500-mile、one month over new car warranty CX-5 is having flickering LED DRLs on BOTH sides and Mazda North American Operations are only willing to pay $1,500 for the cost of replacement on BOTH LED headlights which means $900~$1,700 out of his pocket!

I'm now 100% sure factory LED headlights on 2016 CX-5 do have defect on design or some components. That's why there're 5~6 revisions on LED headlights. The best is to have the latest "J" version, and hopefully Mazda / Stanley finally fix the problem.

There's a complicated procedure to disable LED DRLs. Or you can pull the DRL relay to disable it. But by law you have to have DRLs in Canada, hence the procedure doesn't work for Canadian CX-5 apparently Mazda Canada disabled the procedure.

Here is the official instruction to disable the DRL function for CX-5 obtained by bigtex from his Mazda dealer:
527847dde9533ee284148c4c246937a3.jpg

Another 2016 CX-5. I tell you the 2016 CX-5 is the one to avoid for new buyers looking to buy as certified pre-owned or used.

Kinda feel for the 2016.5 CX-5 owners. This really isn't as widespread an issue that I'm aware of for other Mazda models (3,6). I wonder what made the 2016.5 headlight cluster different?

Let's say half the 2016/2016.5 GTs sold in the USA had the tech package. That's 50,000 Vehicles and a $125,000,000 problem at ~$2,500 set.

They must feel confident with their new design since they've gone back to the fiber optic type style for the 2017/2018 models.

Does anyone have a link to a comparison of the many variations of DRLs on CX5s: years, models, and options?
Being new to Mazda I can't make sense of all of the differences.

Let's say half the 2016/2016.5 GTs sold in the USA had the tech package. That's 50,000 Vehicles and a $125,000,000 problem at ~$2,500 set.

They must feel confident with their new design since they've gone back to the fiber optic type style for the 2017/2018 models.

They should've designed the unit to allow for simple bulb changes. The rest of the car is pretty simple to change things out.

I cant believethsy charge so much for that assembly. Highwayrobbery. My china $15 leds last longer lol. I just replaced my led fog because one started flickering after about 4 year. It also had water on the base though.

I cant believethsy charge so much for that assembly. Highwayrobbery. My china $15 leds last longer lol. I just replaced my led fog because one started flickering after about 4 year. It also had water on the base though.
Your LED fog can't be OEM, right?

How would you even know that you're DRLs are out or flickering? Since they're only on while driving, I only rarely see them when they're reflected in a window or something.

How would you even know that you're DRLs are out or flickering? Since they're only on while driving, I only rarely see them when they're reflected in a window or something.
You can easily check these LED signature DRLs by turning your headlight switch to parking light position. :)

Well, you DO have to read the ads and buy the correct OEM headlights for your car. You did that, I can tell.

Back