Paint / Clear Coat concerns

2018 SR metallic CX-3s were not the problematic "Crystal" finish. They switched to the more expensive paint option for 2019.

Really?

So that was just a plain red I was looking at?

Thanks for the clarification.

daggoneit.

Really?

So that was just a plain red I was looking at?

Thanks for the clarification.

daggoneit.

Not plain red. It is the old "Soul Red Metallic" which is also what the Gen 1 CX-5's had. Not to be confused with "Soul Red Crystal Metallic" which I believe is only used on 2017+ CX-5, 2018 Mazda 6, 2019 CX-3, and 2018 CX-9.

Not plain red. It is the old "Soul Red Metallic" which is also what the Gen 1 CX-5's had. Not to be confused with "Soul Red Crystal Metallic" which I believe is only used on 2017+ CX-5, 2018 Mazda 6, 2019 CX-3, and 2018 CX-9.

You know...I'm still getting my Mazda Chops.

It was still a pretty car...

The chips look like tiny white spots on mine.

Just so disappointing, huh?

Mazda Customer Service tells me that there's no official acknowledgement of an issue, with none on the horizon.

I worked for a Japanese company years ago. This current issue notwithstanding, I'm surprised that the "soft Mazda paint" issue has been tolerated for so long. We were all Zero Defect back in the day.

Let me ask...are your chips really noticeable, or do you have to look for them? And would a clear bra have helped, or are they down the door panels as well?

That's how they all look, because they're down to the white prime coat.
I was telling him they actually DO look like white spots, so he should investigate further. I can only speak for mine. In the old days, chips would often go down to bare metal. Maybe some still do.

Let me ask...are your chips really noticeable, or do you have to look for them? And would a clear bra have helped, or are they down the door panels as well?
They're tiny white specs in a sea of beautiful red. There are a few on the fenders, but mostly on the hood. I only notice them if I look for them. They don't concern me at all because they don't look that bad, and in 2 years it goes back to Mazda and it'll be their problem.

I was telling him they actually DO look like white spots, so he should investigate further. I can only speak for mine. In the old days, chips would often go down to bare metal. Maybe some still do.

They're tiny white specs in a sea of beautiful red. There are a few on the fenders, but mostly on the hood. I only notice them if I look for them. They don't concern me at all because they don't look that bad, and in 2 years it goes back to Mazda and it'll be their problem.

You know, I considered leasing. I think you may have mentioned elsewhere that you lease. I did not get so far as to read the lease agreement. I wondered if there was a clause that might make me accountable for the cosmetic issues when I turned the thing back in. I'd hate to get into a fight over their defective paint.

The problem is so widespread they'd be ill advised try to hold a lessor responsible. They couldn't get away with it.

I personally don't think the paint should be a deciding factor in whether to lease or buy; there are more important financial [and other] considerations.
I wasn't aware of the paint issue when I signed, so it had no bearing on my decision.

Since I'm leasing, I really don't have any skin in the game so I don't care about it, but if I had bought, I'd be pissed.

Look around the parking lots some more. See it for yourself. You may find that it's not as serious a cosmetic problem as some would lead you to believe. Then again, I imagine the severity varies widely.

The problem is so widespread they'd be ill advised try to hold a lessor responsible. They couldn't get away with it.

I personally don't think the paint should be a deciding factor in whether to lease or buy; there are more important financial [and other] considerations.
I wasn't aware of the paint issue when I signed, so it had no bearing on my decision.

Since I'm leasing, I really don't have any skin in the game so I don't care about it, but if I had bought, I'd be pissed.

Look around the parking lots some more. See it for yourself. You may find that it's not as serious a cosmetic problem as some would lead you to believe. Then again, I imagine the severity varies widely.

I agree about the leasing decision. I'm in my 60s, and have had 2 new vehicles in my entire life. I had each for 15 years. Everything else was cash & carry, driven for a few years, then sold for a profit The thought of perpetual payments does not appeal to me.

I've been trying to look at Mazdas in parking lots, but have only seen one so far. They're few & far between here. And going to dealer lots would be of no value...they would already be detailed & prepped for sale.

Back