Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 76 to 90 of 90

Thread: Paint / Clear Coat concerns

  1. #76
    Registered Member

    1990 Volvo 740 Turbo Intercooler

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Central Virginia...the rural part
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Sky Blue was from the early model years and looked great. Eternal Blue is butt ugly.

    Honestly I may have frowny faced my current paint condition, but in reality I don't care that much. Perspective. This is after 5 1/2 years of owning. If I get some extra spending money I might pay for some paint correction sure, but in the meantime, there are bigger things to sweat in life. It's a fantastic car. That said paint chipping on SRC early certainly is a problem, paint chipping because of our shitty roads, rock hits, gravel and dirt roads etc. over 5 1/2 years? Meh, not going to sweat that. Maybe I'll fix it, maybe not. No big deal.

    If you decide to go SRC and it chips, that's on you (though I would hope Mazda would fix). Seems to be a well documented issue with that color, and possibly the Machine Gray as well? As such, wouldn't be buying those colors as a result personally. The other colors do not follow that paint process, so I think they would be no different then mine or paris1's paint and the differing determining factors will be the roads you drive on and whatever other factors contribute to normal paint chipping.
    I have yet to go back to the dealer and ask about paint durability. I expect them to toe the party line, but am more interested in their demeanor as they do it.

    I commented earlier that I've been chatting with a Mazda customer service rep with some pre-sales questions, and asked her about the paint issues. "Mazda investigates any and all product quality complaints that are received. Regarding the paint concerns, there are currently no campaigns released related to that issue, nor is there any information that there will be in the future." Just got that email yesterday.

    The thing is that I almost bought a 2018 CR-V until I researched the 1.5L turbo, and I only did THAT research because this is the first year for that engine. Then I found lots of folks with significant oil dilution issues in the turbo and in legacy CR-V and Civic engines.

    I was good-to-go on the CX-5 until my brother (who owned his own repair shop) told me that due to lack of aftermarket parts, Mazdas are more expensive to repair. That sent me on the search for Mazda reliability, and I then encountered the paint stories.

    Since I'm whining at you...now everything seems to come with direct inject just to meet CAFE standards, which brings its own set of issues...carbon on valves and potential for oil dilution. I read that some manufacturers are putting a high water mark on dipsticks with the documented recommendation that if the oil (actually oil+gas) reaches the mark, to cut the oil change interval in half. Nice, huh? I guess as long as owners limp past the warranty window...

    Now I just want my Austin Healey back. As long as I had an extra set of points & condenser and a spare fan belt with me (and maybe a quart of oil), I could travel with confidence. And it was paid for.

  2. #77
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    3,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin' Deer View Post
    I was good-to-go on the CX-5 until my brother (who owned his own repair shop) told me that due to lack of aftermarket parts, Mazdas are more expensive to repair.
    Also been one of the more reliable vehicles and cheapest I've had over the ownership (bought in April 2013).

    Outside of regularly scheduled maintenance items (oil/filter, cabin/engine filters, spark plugs, rear dif/transfer case oil, brake fluid), I've replaced a couple of items (drive belt tensioner which was leaking, and the AT shifter switch with failing material) that had TSB's on them (meaning they should be non-issues in later/current models as they have revised parts), rear brake pads, and new tires. I have 70k miles on mine.

  3. #78
    Registered Member

    1990 Volvo 740 Turbo Intercooler

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Central Virginia...the rural part
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Also been one of the more reliable vehicles and cheapest I've had over the ownership (bought in April 2013).

    Outside of regularly scheduled maintenance items (oil/filter, cabin/engine filters, spark plugs, rear dif/transfer case oil, brake fluid), I've replaced a couple of items (drive belt tensioner which was leaking, and the AT shifter switch with failing material) that had TSB's on them (meaning they should be non-issues in later/current models as they have revised parts), rear brake pads, and new tires. I have 70k miles on mine.
    That's why I'm still strongly leaning in favor of them.

    I went on a few forums and looked for threads where folks asked about reliability. Lots of 100,000+ mile stories with nothing but the expected wear & tear. I think one guy said he had a cracked engine block (lots of potential causal issues there), and everyone else had long-term glowing reviews. And most people say that they're still fun to drive.

    As an aside, I'm in the country and there's a Walmart nearby that serves the surrounding counties. Lots of cars in the massive parking lot all the time. Since I started this mission, I've walked around looking at SUVs to see how the different color paint holds up for each manufacturer. If figure this will be closer to reality than going to a dealer lot after they've been detailed, and I see a larger variety in one spot this way. I saw my first Mazda there today...a CX-3 with Soul Red paint, sitting in handicap parking. The tags expire next month, so the thing's at least a year old, and the paint looked fine...maybe a couple of white spots on the side I didn't pick at to see if they were surface dirt. It was there when I arrived and still there when I left. I hung around a little bit to talk to the owner about his/her experiences, but they never appeared.

  4. #79
    Registered Member

    2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    3,241
    Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin' Deer View Post
    That's why I'm still strongly leaning in favor of them.

    I went on a few forums and looked for threads where folks asked about reliability. Lots of 100,000+ mile stories with nothing but the expected wear & tear. I think one guy said he had a cracked engine block (lots of potential causal issues there), and everyone else had long-term glowing reviews. And most people say that they're still fun to drive.

    As an aside, I'm in the country and there's a Walmart nearby that serves the surrounding counties. Lots of cars in the massive parking lot all the time. Since I started this mission, I've walked around looking at SUVs to see how the different color paint holds up for each manufacturer. If figure this will be closer to reality than going to a dealer lot after they've been detailed, and I see a larger variety in one spot this way. I saw my first Mazda there today...a CX-3 with Soul Red paint, sitting in handicap parking. The tags expire next month, so the thing's at least a year old, and the paint looked fine...maybe a couple of white spots on the side I didn't pick at to see if they were surface dirt. It was there when I arrived and still there when I left. I hung around a little bit to talk to the owner about his/her experiences, but they never appeared.
    See below.

  5. #80
    Registered Member

    2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    3,241
    Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin' Deer View Post
    That's why I'm still strongly leaning in favor of them.

    I went on a few forums and looked for threads where folks asked about reliability. Lots of 100,000+ mile stories with nothing but the expected wear & tear. I think one guy said he had a cracked engine block (lots of potential causal issues there), and everyone else had long-term glowing reviews. And most people say that they're still fun to drive.

    As an aside, I'm in the country and there's a Walmart nearby that serves the surrounding counties. Lots of cars in the massive parking lot all the time. Since I started this mission, I've walked around looking at SUVs to see how the different color paint holds up for each manufacturer. If figure this will be closer to reality than going to a dealer lot after they've been detailed, and I see a larger variety in one spot this way. I saw my first Mazda there today...a CX-3 with Soul Red paint, sitting in handicap parking. The tags expire next month, so the thing's at least a year old, and the paint looked fine...maybe a couple of white spots on the side I didn't pick at to see if they were surface dirt. It was there when I arrived and still there when I left. I hung around a little bit to talk to the owner about his/her experiences, but they never appeared.
    2018 SR metallic CX-3s were not the problematic "Crystal" finish. They switched to the more expensive paint option for 2019.

  6. #81
    Registered Member

    1990 Volvo 740 Turbo Intercooler

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Central Virginia...the rural part
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
    2018 SR metallic CX-3s were not the problematic "Crystal" finish. They switched to the more expensive paint option for 2019.
    Really?

    So that was just a plain red I was looking at?

    Thanks for the clarification.

    daggoneit.

  7. #82
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    3,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin' Deer View Post
    Really?

    So that was just a plain red I was looking at?

    Thanks for the clarification.

    daggoneit.
    Not plain red. It is the old "Soul Red Metallic" which is also what the Gen 1 CX-5's had. Not to be confused with "Soul Red Crystal Metallic" which I believe is only used on 2017+ CX-5, 2018 Mazda 6, 2019 CX-3, and 2018 CX-9.

  8. #83
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin' Deer View Post
    the paint looked fine...maybe a couple of white spots on the side I didn't pick at to see if they were surface dirt.
    The chips look like tiny white spots on mine.

  9. #84
    Registered Member

    1990 Volvo 740 Turbo Intercooler

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Central Virginia...the rural part
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Not plain red. It is the old "Soul Red Metallic" which is also what the Gen 1 CX-5's had. Not to be confused with "Soul Red Crystal Metallic" which I believe is only used on 2017+ CX-5, 2018 Mazda 6, 2019 CX-3, and 2018 CX-9.
    You know...I'm still getting my Mazda Chops.

    It was still a pretty car...

  10. #85
    Registered Member

    1990 Volvo 740 Turbo Intercooler

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Central Virginia...the rural part
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    The chips look like tiny white spots on mine.
    Just so disappointing, huh?

    Mazda Customer Service tells me that there's no official acknowledgement of an issue, with none on the horizon.

    I worked for a Japanese company years ago. This current issue notwithstanding, I'm surprised that the "soft Mazda paint" issue has been tolerated for so long. We were all Zero Defect back in the day.

    Let me ask...are your chips really noticeable, or do you have to look for them? And would a clear bra have helped, or are they down the door panels as well?

  11. #86
    Registered Member

    2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    3,241
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    The chips look like tiny white spots on mine.
    That's how they all look, because they're down to the white prime coat.

  12. #87
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
    That's how they all look, because they're down to the white prime coat.
    I was telling him they actually DO look like white spots, so he should investigate further. I can only speak for mine. In the old days, chips would often go down to bare metal. Maybe some still do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin' Deer View Post
    Let me ask...are your chips really noticeable, or do you have to look for them? And would a clear bra have helped, or are they down the door panels as well?
    They're tiny white specs in a sea of beautiful red. There are a few on the fenders, but mostly on the hood. I only notice them if I look for them. They don't concern me at all because they don't look that bad, and in 2 years it goes back to Mazda and it'll be their problem.

  13. #88
    Registered Member

    1990 Volvo 740 Turbo Intercooler

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Central Virginia...the rural part
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    I was telling him they actually DO look like white spots, so he should investigate further. I can only speak for mine. In the old days, chips would often go down to bare metal. Maybe some still do.


    They're tiny white specs in a sea of beautiful red. There are a few on the fenders, but mostly on the hood. I only notice them if I look for them. They don't concern me at all because they don't look that bad, and in 2 years it goes back to Mazda and it'll be their problem.
    You know, I considered leasing. I think you may have mentioned elsewhere that you lease. I did not get so far as to read the lease agreement. I wondered if there was a clause that might make me accountable for the cosmetic issues when I turned the thing back in. I'd hate to get into a fight over their defective paint.

  14. #89
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,224
    The problem is so widespread they'd be ill advised try to hold a lessor responsible. They couldn't get away with it.

    I personally don't think the paint should be a deciding factor in whether to lease or buy; there are more important financial [and other] considerations.
    I wasn't aware of the paint issue when I signed, so it had no bearing on my decision.

    Since I'm leasing, I really don't have any skin in the game so I don't care about it, but if I had bought, I'd be pissed.

    Look around the parking lots some more. See it for yourself. You may find that it's not as serious a cosmetic problem as some would lead you to believe. Then again, I imagine the severity varies widely.

  15. #90
    Registered Member

    1990 Volvo 740 Turbo Intercooler

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Central Virginia...the rural part
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    The problem is so widespread they'd be ill advised try to hold a lessor responsible. They couldn't get away with it.

    I personally don't think the paint should be a deciding factor in whether to lease or buy; there are more important financial [and other] considerations.
    I wasn't aware of the paint issue when I signed, so it had no bearing on my decision.

    Since I'm leasing, I really don't have any skin in the game so I don't care about it, but if I had bought, I'd be pissed.

    Look around the parking lots some more. See it for yourself. You may find that it's not as serious a cosmetic problem as some would lead you to believe. Then again, I imagine the severity varies widely.
    I agree about the leasing decision. I'm in my 60s, and have had 2 new vehicles in my entire life. I had each for 15 years. Everything else was cash & carry, driven for a few years, then sold for a profit The thought of perpetual payments does not appeal to me.

    I've been trying to look at Mazdas in parking lots, but have only seen one so far. They're few & far between here. And going to dealer lots would be of no value...they would already be detailed & prepped for sale.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Similar Threads

  1. Wax and clear coat
    By blaf2 in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-26-2018, 12:20 PM
  2. Clear coat, or rather, not-so-clear coat
    By thaxman in forum Mazda5 Accessories & Appearance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-28-2014, 01:43 PM
  3. clear coat valve cover... cant find clear enamel ?
    By callphy in forum Mazdaspeed Protege
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-28-2013, 10:10 PM
  4. Yellow mp3 paint=no clear coat
    By APEXistud in forum Mazda MP3
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-14-2003, 10:20 PM
  5. Clear Coat on our car .....
    By WhiteZoomZoom in forum Protege5
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-17-2002, 12:31 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •