Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paint / Clear Coat concerns

Registered Member

Mazda - 2017 - CX-5 - GT with Tech Package

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Wlong01, I suppose you have pre 2016.5? I that they may have changed the paint quality from 2016.5.

I appreciate all your comments guys, and I really like the car - I am kind of hung up on the paint. I will check around for PPF around the area.

Keep the comments coming....

I have the 2017 CX-5 GT with Tech Package - Color - Titianium Flash which is basically a brown.

It's my third Mazda vehicle and whether you like it or not Mazda paint is very thin and is a cheap poor quality paint. Read the forums and search about the many paint problems people have had with their vehicles.

I already knew this before purchasing my third Mazda and took some simple precautions to avoid this. As soon as I took possession of the CX-5 I had it booked in for PPF. I got the full front bumper, partial wings, full hood, door mirrors, door cups (under handles) and also the area where our feet sometimes touch the paint when entering / exiting the car (maybe called door sills?).

I also had the paint protected with a professional detailer who put on a triple coat of Optimum Gloss Coat. Prior to that the detailer did Iron-x, clay bar and a one step polish before coating the whole vehicle including all the glass on the car.

I only wash the car by hand using a two bucket method using Optimum No Rinse Wash and dry it sometimes using Optimum Opti Seal. If you take car of the paint and follow some simple steps, your paint will look and last for at least ten years. It's all about how you maintain the paint and whether or not you have the time to do it.

I say purchase the CX-5 - whatever the color and protect it immediately. Remember though that a ceramic coating will NOT protect the paint from paint chips - only PPF will give you that protection.

Best of luck.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Good day everyone, I am in the last stages of purchasing a new CX-5 GT and see that there are complaints of the Soul Red paint, but I have seen other colors of the CX-5 with weak paint or at least clear coat.

I'm really worried about the comments on the paint quality in this (and other) forum. I called Mazda Canada and they don't have any issues with paint. I have let them know that there are forums out there with people complaining about the paint quality and if it only pertains to the red. Again, they said that they don't have any issues with the paint. This paint / clear coat problem seems to have started with the 2016.5 and continues on to 2018.

I have test driven black, silver and grey and can tell you that they all have surface scratches and stone chips. This is unacceptable for a vehicle less than one year old with 6,000 to 11,000 KM. I have a rental black Ford Escape and can tell you that the paint used by Ford is much harder than that of Mazda. I really like the car as it meets all my needs and looks great, but I'm really concerned about the paint quality.

Does anyone else have problems with paint / clear coat quality?

Which year/Month of manufacture?

Which color?

I really appreciate your comments.

Silver.
    2015, blue, typical low end Japanese paint. Thin and soft. Its nothing special though, just the norm.

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    Got scratches just now due to low hanging branches. Sucker for trying to find shade in TX. Well I atleast know how to fix em. SiO2 is what I mean Ride92 from the last thread.
    I now have to invest in a drill based polisher / w pads. Meguiars is good but I saw a lot of cheaper options on eBay. I just need to research a good quality one.
    Why invest in a drill based polisher? You'd be much better served getting something like the Harbor freight Dual action polisher. The 6" backing plate and pads aren't terrible but they aren't that good either. 6" is a bit much for that machine to spin with out stalling out all the time. A decent 5" backing plate and a 6-pack of Lake country pads with some M205 and you should be good to go. For the Mazda paint I recommend the orange and white pads, those should take care of most anything needing correcting on the paint.

Unless the drill polisher is something like the Meguiars DA power system polisher, you're essentially getting a small rotary polisher which is very difficult to use correctly and you run the risk of holograms and possibly burning thru the paint if your not careful. Rotary polishers have their place but can do a lot of damage if not used properly. I would encourage you to get a dual action polisher. Even ones from ebay will be better then nothing. I just know the HF one is decent for the price point, I can't speak to any of the ebay ones. The HF DA polisher with 20% off coupon comes to about $56, it's a good machine.
    Just Giver!!!

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Ride92 View Post
    Why invest in a drill based polisher? You'd be much better served getting something like the Harbor freight Dual action polisher. The 6" backing plate and pads aren't terrible but they aren't that good either. 6" is a bit much for that machine to spin with out stalling out all the time. A decent 5" backing plate and a 6-pack of Lake country pads with some M205 and you should be good to go. For the Mazda paint I recommend the orange and white pads, those should take care of most anything needing correcting on the paint.

Unless the drill polisher is something like the Meguiars DA power system polisher, you're essentially getting a small rotary polisher which is very difficult to use correctly and you run the risk of holograms and possibly burning thru the paint if your not careful. Rotary polishers have their place but can do a lot of damage if not used properly. I would encourage you to get a dual action polisher. Even ones from ebay will be better then nothing. I just know the HF one is decent for the price point, I can't speak to any of the ebay ones. The HF DA polisher with 20% off coupon comes to about $56, it's a good machine.
    The only problem with the HF DA is that the vibrations kill my hands. And I stripped the screws trying to do the grease mod, so I'm screwed there.
    Last edited by ColoradoDriver; Today at 12:44 PM.

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    The only problem with the HF DA is that the vibrations kill my hands.
    Have you tried replacing the grease inside the unit? It's one of the first things I did to mine and made a huge difference in noise and vibration. The 5" backing plate and pads also help as well as any vibration isn't amplified by the larger pads. I use some Lucas sticky red synthetic grease in mine and it runs much smoother know. You'll also be able to make sure the counter weight is properly tightened when you have it apart.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Have you tried replacing the grease inside the unit? It's one of the first things I did to mine and made a huge difference in noise and vibration. The 5" backing plate and pads also help as well as any vibration isn't amplified by the larger pads. I use some Lucas sticky red synthetic grease in mine and it runs much smoother know. You'll also be able to make sure the counter weight is properly tightened when you have it apart.
    See my edit. My unit I could not do the mod. Stripped the damn screws trying to do so to the point that now I am just stuck with how it is. At this point if I decide that the paint correction is something I want to do myself, I will take a look at some better models.

Oh and better believe my black CX-5 needs some paint correction. Sadly, trying to do so with the HF DA last year killed any enthusiasm I had for trying to do it myself.
    Last edited by ColoradoDriver; Today at 12:50 PM.

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

I need something that I can do on the street. Cordless - I already have a drill. Mostly the DA polisher / drill attachment will have to wait. I did the Aquapel treatment. I hope it stays for a year. The tree sap and water marks as so much easier to clean now. I can polish / wax with hand and since I intend to do it once every year or so might work.
    DONT MESS WITH TEXAS. **

**If you do - be a man and pay the hopital bills

2015 CX-5 GT AWD liquid silver

I haven't had any strange problems with mine. I will agree with Uno on this. Seems similar to Wifey's Honda. I have noticed complaints seem to be more about certain colors.

Registered Member

CX5

Has anyone used paint sealant on their CX5? My detailer is suggesting it after a wash and clay bar .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12