Thread: 2018 GT - Compass in MFD

Registered Member

2018 CX- 5 Grand Touring w/Premium Package

2018 GT - Compass in MFD

Is it normal for the compass to not show your direction when you come to a complete stop (attached photos). This is in the MFD when it's on the compass and miles until empty. It's especially annoying as you can't tell what direction to go when stopped as the navigation does not show you either.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/atta...9&d=1526646014

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/atta...1&d=1526646014
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

I’ve noticed it on mine too, not sure why it does that though.

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

If you are stopped, how is it supposed to know which direction you are pointing in?
    You could be pointing anywhere.
    Every nav I've ever used gets it's direction/orientation after I start moving.
    Example: if I'm in a shopping mall parking lot, I need to drive a few feet before the vehicle system (or a hand held GPS) gets it's bearings. I would think that's normal.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    If you are stopped, how is it supposed to know which direction you are pointing in?
    Example: if I'm in a shopping mall parking lot, I need to drive a few feet before the vehicle system (or a hand held GPS) gets it's bearings. I would think that's normal.
    I believe the OP is talking about if you've been driving and come to a stop at a light, stop sign, etc. the compass stops showing your direction till you move again. At least this is what happens with me. Not a big deal but if you're going one direction you'd think it would just continue to point that direction till you move or turn off the car.

Registered Member

2018 CX- 5 Grand Touring w/Premium Package

Quote Originally Posted by rhojos14 View Post
    I believe the OP is talking about if you've been driving and come to a stop at a light, stop sign, etc. the compass stops showing your direction till you move again. At least this is what happens with me. Not a big deal but if you're going one direction you'd think it would just continue to point that direction till you move or turn off the car.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. Every car I've owned that had a compass (not NAV) would stay on while stopped. That way when you looked at a map you knew what direction to go. Think about it....how many times have you stopped for directions in the past (before NAV) and someone or a map would say go North, South, East or West on a particular road? I want the ability to look down while stopped and it say what direction I'm facing...not have to remember what it said. It's not that big of a deal but annoying none the less. Good to know it's not just me....I hate going in for service! Last time I went they stained my parchment seats and I had to point it out for them to fix.

Registered Member

2015 CX-5 Sport

See how much we have improved the non electronic compass.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Adguy21 View Post
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. Every car I've owned that had a compass (not NAV) would stay on while stopped.
    I think you've answered the question. The compass direction displayed in the dash is derived from the GPS not from the earth's magnetic field like an old school compass does. Therefore it only works while in motion. You can think of it as displaying the direction you're driving in, not the direction you're pointed in.

I'm curious but as I have a 2016 I can't confirm. If you're facing and drive in reverse I think the compass would display W.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 2018 GT - Compass in MFD

Quote Originally Posted by Ricsta View Post
    I think you've answered the question. The compass direction displayed in the dash is derived from the GPS not from the earth's magnetic field like an old school compass does. Therefore it only works while in motion. You can think of it as displaying the direction you're driving in, not the direction you're pointed in.

I'm curious but as I have a 2016 I can't confirm. If you're facing and drive in reverse I think the compass would display W.
    My 2016 CX-5 displayed compass instead on infotainment screen when my GPS was not functioning. So as those CX-5’s without GPS feature. This seems to indicate the information of compass is not from GPS.

Of course I believe there’s no change on 2018 CX-5’s compass other than moving the display into part of MFD cluster display.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    It depends if a magnetometer is part of the electronics package or not. Some cell phones have them, some don’t. But without one, then yes direction requires movement and gps.

2015 CX-5 GT AWD liquid silver

My old '15 GT doesn't have that problem, but the compass heading is in the mirror.