Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 2018 GT - Compass in MFD

  1. #1
    Registered Member

    2018 CX- 5 Grand Touring w/Premium Package

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    28115
    Posts
    51

    2018 GT - Compass in MFD

    Is it normal for the compass to not show your direction when you come to a complete stop (attached photos). This is in the MFD when it's on the compass and miles until empty. It's especially annoying as you can't tell what direction to go when stopped as the navigation does not show you either.

    https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/atta...9&d=1526646014

    https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/atta...1&d=1526646014
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Registered Member

    2017 CX-5

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    45
    I’ve noticed it on mine too, not sure why it does that though.

  3. #3
    Registered Member

    17 Mazda 6 GT

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    334
    If you are stopped, how is it supposed to know which direction you are pointing in?
    You could be pointing anywhere.
    Every nav I've ever used gets it's direction/orientation after I start moving.
    Example: if I'm in a shopping mall parking lot, I need to drive a few feet before the vehicle system (or a hand held GPS) gets it's bearings. I would think that's normal.

  4. #4
    Registered Member

    2017 CX-5

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    If you are stopped, how is it supposed to know which direction you are pointing in?
    You could be pointing anywhere.
    Every nav I've ever used gets it's direction/orientation after I start moving.
    Example: if I'm in a shopping mall parking lot, I need to drive a few feet before the vehicle system (or a hand held GPS) gets it's bearings. I would think that's normal.
    I believe the OP is talking about if you've been driving and come to a stop at a light, stop sign, etc. the compass stops showing your direction till you move again. At least this is what happens with me. Not a big deal but if you're going one direction you'd think it would just continue to point that direction till you move or turn off the car.

  5. #5
    Registered Member

    2018 CX- 5 Grand Touring w/Premium Package

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    28115
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by rhojos14 View Post
    I believe the OP is talking about if you've been driving and come to a stop at a light, stop sign, etc. the compass stops showing your direction till you move again. At least this is what happens with me. Not a big deal but if you're going one direction you'd think it would just continue to point that direction till you move or turn off the car.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. Every car I've owned that had a compass (not NAV) would stay on while stopped. That way when you looked at a map you knew what direction to go. Think about it....how many times have you stopped for directions in the past (before NAV) and someone or a map would say go North, South, East or West on a particular road? I want the ability to look down while stopped and it say what direction I'm facing...not have to remember what it said. It's not that big of a deal but annoying none the less. Good to know it's not just me....I hate going in for service! Last time I went they stained my parchment seats and I had to point it out for them to fix.

  6. #6
    Registered Member

    2015 CX-5 Sport

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    148
    See how much we have improved the non electronic compass.

  7. #7
    Registered Member

    2016 CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New York, United States
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Adguy21 View Post
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. Every car I've owned that had a compass (not NAV) would stay on while stopped.
    I think you've answered the question. The compass direction displayed in the dash is derived from the GPS not from the earth's magnetic field like an old school compass does. Therefore it only works while in motion. You can think of it as displaying the direction you're driving in, not the direction you're pointed in.

    I'm curious but as I have a 2016 I can't confirm. If you're facing and drive in reverse I think the compass would display W.

  8. #8
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,095

    Arrow 2018 GT - Compass in MFD

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricsta View Post
    I think you've answered the question. The compass direction displayed in the dash is derived from the GPS not from the earth's magnetic field like an old school compass does. Therefore it only works while in motion. You can think of it as displaying the direction you're driving in, not the direction you're pointed in.

    I'm curious but as I have a 2016 I can't confirm. If you're facing and drive in reverse I think the compass would display W.
    My 2016 CX-5 displayed compass instead on infotainment screen when my GPS was not functioning. So as those CX-5’s without GPS feature. This seems to indicate the information of compass is not from GPS.

    Of course I believe there’s no change on 2018 CX-5’s compass other than moving the display into part of MFD cluster display.

  9. #9
    Registered Member

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    If you are stopped, how is it supposed to know which direction you are pointing in?
    You could be pointing anywhere.
    Every nav I've ever used gets it's direction/orientation after I start moving.
    Example: if I'm in a shopping mall parking lot, I need to drive a few feet before the vehicle system (or a hand held GPS) gets it's bearings. I would think that's normal.
    It depends if a magnetometer is part of the electronics package or not. Some cell phones have them, some don’t. But without one, then yes direction requires movement and gps.

  10. #10
    Registered Member GP 2004's Avatar

    2015 CX-5 GT AWD liquid silver

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Chicago suburb
    Posts
    623
    My old '15 GT doesn't have that problem, but the compass heading is in the mirror.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-09-2018, 07:18 PM
  2. 2018 CX5 vs 2018 Honda CRV
    By Lbear in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 02-01-2018, 12:06 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-17-2018, 06:36 PM
  4. 2018 Mazda CX-5 vs 2018 Chevy Equinox
    By buckbumble in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-18-2017, 05:49 PM
  5. So where's the compass?
    By Hepcat in forum CX-5 Accessories & Appearance
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-27-2015, 07:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •