How the AWD works.

My jeep had both and I loved it. I really don't see why we cant have both in the cx5 in a light duty sense. It won't be a rock crawler, but why not have the clutch lock it up on command at under 35mph or so?

If you want 16mpg like most Jeeps get, then more power to you.

Now what I do agree with Unob on is that Mazda should add some manual override modes like a lot of other CUVs so have and would probably help his situation without as much tradeoff as an old school 4WD system that’s just overkill.

Exactly! For most CUB buyers locking isn’t appropriate. Which is why these intuitive, if that’s what we’re calling it, are becoming ubiquitous. And as was also stated the early generations weren’t great but current systems perform very well.

Unob’s driveway IMHO is an extreme edge case.

For daily use, yes, but for winter? I saw a TON of cases where locking would have saved the day. Locking is a low-speed thing, and it's nothing but another toggle switch and line of code away from being in the CX5. INstead...we got some stupid sport mode (read: TOW mode).

Now what I do agree with Unob on is that Mazda should add some manual override modes like a lot of other CUVs so have and would probably help his situation without as much tradeoff as an old school 4WD system that’s just overkill.

Exactly. I am not looking for an uber system like in my Jeep. Just a little "does what it can to 100% of its ability at under 30mph" switch vs. the reactive programming.

This was a big deal on the Jeep forums where people were able to move around on ice days when others could not. Once you slip...you're done. Reactive programming is trash on slopes with glare ice, and snow, etc, no matter how fast it is, because the problem has already occurred. Putting an over-ride/full lock ability option in the CX5 would go a long ways on bad days where you crawl along at 10mph sliding all over the place.

I guess it’s semantics but the issue here imo is those aren’t really locking like what you would find on a truck or old school Jeep ect.

That being said we had an ice storm here recently where I took off at an intersection where the wrangler behind me could barely move. I bet my tires had a lot to do with it. I also had 0 problems getting up my hill when covered in ice. Mazda definitely has a very good reactive system and giving us some manual control imo would be pretty simple and make a lot of customers happy. I considered the lack of it a con against buying it. Wife loved it though so we obviously bought it. I wanted to get an Alltrack.

I for one would appreciate having a Eco mode setting that kept the system in fwd. That could help with fuel economy when driving on clear days.

Mazda’s intent though is for the driver to concentrate on driving with confidence. As mentioned in the videos, when a wheel slips many drivers lose confidence. That may be too simplistic for an answer.

Mazda 2017 CX5 +:

"In rare cases on uneven paths when a wheel could leave the ground, i-ACTIV AWD will sense that wheelspin and lock the torque coupling so the front and rear wheels go the same speed.

In off road situations like the diagonal twist—pressing the “TCS OFF” button actually switches the CX-5 to a mode that simulates locking differentials via the brakes, sending power to the wheels on the ground.”

Thanks for sharing. This article was written when Mazda did their ice academy, which explained their AWD system to the automotive press and took them on test drives. Here's David Coleman's video presentation of the AWD system. At the start of the second video he explains why they send 2% torque to the rear at all times.
Part 1:
https://youtu.be/rPyRCkt1GHw
Part 2:
https://youtu.be/VuqjdcDvncs

Thanks I'll watch them tomorrow.

If you want 16mpg like most Jeeps get, then more power to you.

He doesn’t he wants to have his cake and eat it but that’s not how things work.

Of course, because having an option to lock the AWD in at under 30mph will definitely kill my mpg...but the tow mode everyone crows about keeping their rpms up and not allowing shifting into OD...that's not so bad.

Mazda 2017 CX5 +:

"In rare cases on uneven paths when a wheel could leave the ground, i-ACTIV AWD will sense that wheelspin and lock the torque coupling so the front and rear wheels go the same speed.

In off road situations like the diagonal twist—pressing the “TCS OFF” button actually switches the CX-5 to a mode that simulates locking differentials via the brakes, sending power to the wheels on the ground.”

I'll give this a try here in a few and see if it works for 2015.

I guess my point here is this is all simulating a locking diff. It’s not actually a locking diff and that type does get bad mileage. Again semantics.

In this AWD diagnostic test made by Car Question, very few fail on it but a gen-2 CX-9 with i-Activ AWD did fail with "4WD System High Load" warning message. They re-tested again with another CX-9 later making sure it's not a mechanical issue - and that's not the case. They were also surprised to see the fail since the Mazda CX-3 and the Mazda CX-5, with struggle, got to the top.

attachment.php

IMG_0282.PNG

Last edited:
Mazda 2017 CX5 +:

In off road situations like the diagonal twistpressing the TCS OFF button actually switches the CX-5 to a mode that simulates locking differentials via the brakes, sending power to the wheels on the ground.
Not just Mazda's i-Activ AWD locks the clutch coupling when a wheel could leave the ground, all other AWD systems on compact CUVs would do the same thing. In old days a true differential lock or limited-slip differential would control any single wheel slippage on the same axle, but newer AWD system utilizes ABS / TCS system controlling single wheel spinning on the same axle with brake for better control and less cost.

In Car Question AWD diagonal test they also found turning TCS off actually helped their CX-5 easier to get to the top.

Mazda's i-Activ AWD runs a small pre-load of power, 2% of total, to the rear wheel. Added with shorter final gear ratio to its FWD, it pays the most fuel efficiency penalty from its FWD counterpart comparing to other compact CUVs.

All AWD systems currently on the market for compact CUVs are basically the same on hardware with different software programming algorithm. Older Toyota RAV4 did offer more hardware with limited-slip differential and lock. The new upcoming 2019 RAV4 will have Multi-Terrain Select and Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive with industry-first "Rear Driveline Disconnect" which will be the most fuel efficient AWD system on the market.

So I’m doing some reading on the Cherokee and it looks like even it doesn’t have a true locking differential. It’s just a brake lock like everyone else.

I’m not saying the software mode simulator diff lock lowers gas mileage. (Unless maybe you left it in that mode full time maybe ) I’m saying old school 4WD with actual locking diffs does.

And now I realize you’re talking about the software based terrain selection option. Not a true mechanical locking differential or even limited slip.

And I agree with you Mazda should have included that.

How is it industry first when the Cherokee already has that?
No, Cherokee can't do it:

2019 Toyota RAV4 Press Release said:
When AWD isnt required (on long stretches of highway, for example), RAV4 can achieve better fuel economy thanks to the Rear Driveline Disconnect system. The disconnection features the worlds first ratchet-type dog clutches on both the front and rear wheel shafts. These clutches stop the driveshafts rotations, thus transmitting the driving force to the front wheels when AWD isnt required, significantly reducing energy loss, improving fuel efficiency, and reducing rotational vibration making for a smoother ride.

Back