How the AWD works.

Yes, you're correct! Jeep Active Drive I 4x4 System does offer "Rear Axle Disconnect" feature which is similar to Toyota's "Rear Driveline Disconnect". But Toyota's seems to not only disconnect rear propellor drive shaft but also disconnect both the front and rear wheel shafts with unique ratchet-type dog clutches. Thanks for the info!

So I’m doing some reading on the Cherokee and it looks like even it doesn’t have a true locking differential. It’s just a brake lock like everyone else.

I’m not saying the software mode simulator diff lock lowers gas mileage. (Unless maybe you left it in that mode full time maybe ) I’m saying old school 4WD with actual locking diffs does.

And now I realize you’re talking about the software based terrain selection option. Not a true mechanical locking differential or even limited slip.

And I agree with you Mazda should have included that.

Exactly what i meant. However, my jeep did have true ELSDs front and rear, and I got 18 to 19mpg on the highway with the hemispheric. 16ish daily commute. Very near what the rwd only was rated at. Elsd is where at,it's at, but the cx5 would be just fine for its mission with just what you understood and I meant.

So is the conclusion the Rav4 system is more fuel efficient due to the rear being totally disconnected, no preload.
Assuming that's the case how is AWD seamlessly applied.

My rear diff mechanical LSD can lock up enough for me to do skids... good enough for me

So is the conclusion the Rav4 system is more fuel efficient due to the rear being totally disconnected, no preload.
Assuming that's the case how is AWD seamlessly applied.
Don't know. We have to wait until new RAV4 coming out ⋯

I have driven my diesel CX-5 on short autocross courses (almost slalom minus the 360) and during hard 180 degree turn, I do feel oversteer and I dunno how the TCL deals with it so I can also react properly.

There are two ways AWD lowers fuel efficiency. Increased weight and increased parasitic losses. Reducing power routed to the 2nd axle when not needed helps with parasitic loss. Completely disconnecting it would help more. However I don’t see how it can be as responsive as a system like the CX-5 with preload. In my opinion you are giving up some performance for efficiency.

It’s also worth noting, Unob, that FWD is more efficient than RWD for the same reasons. For this reason you’re going to see a bigger difference going to AWD on FWD based systems. It’s also why Subaru has started biasing FWD.

I have driven my diesel CX-5 on short autocross courses (almost slalom minus the 360) and during hard 180 degree turn, I do feel oversteer and I dunno how the TCL deals with it so I can also react properly.
If you are doing salmon and WANT to be able to oversteer, or better 180, you'regonna have to disable DSC by pullong the larger 30a Abs/dsc fuse. Then you can 4w burnout obersteer, 180 whatever. I wouldn'tbe doing that stuff with the stock monstertruck suspension though

Back