How the AWD works.

:
was 175ps Mazda CX-5 Auto AWD Sport Nav, now 190ps DSG Tiguan 4M
Last edited:
More like a paid article from Mazda to unsettle Subaru and its position in the internet. Mazda CX-5 is good but not perfect.

Subaru used to be the tops in awd but they sat on their laurels and others have caught up. The Mazda system is excellent. The computer makes over 200 decisions a second to make the system proactive instead of reactive.

No complaints with my AWD. Any time we have serious snow, it's me not having any problems with it.

Plus if the Subaru has a CVT and isn’t a WRX or STi it doesn’t have the system described here. That’s not to say it’s not a good setup though but that even Subaru has started to use the reactive systems to improve fuel economy.

You probably need a real truck.

Or a rav4, Hyundai santafe, or jeep Cherokee, or any other cuv with that feature. It would preserve my driveway for sure. It's the main reason I'm looking at the rav4, but honestly, it would be smarter just to keep my cx5, money wise.

I don’t think any of those other than the Cherokee in the trail rated version have what you’re looking for. Most use the brakes and call it a locking differential. That the CX-5 does have. And a true locking diff is for low speeds and loose surfaces. Which is definitely what you’re dealing with but not what CUVs are really designed for.

So I tried googling Toyota’s system and it sounds like older generations, over 10 years ago, had a lockable center differential. However the system they use now is similar to that Mazda and just about everyone else is using.

I’ll dig up on Hyundai as well but I expect to find the same.

Basically they typically use a clutch based system to send power between axles and then brakes (ABS) to direct power to either side of the axle. Better systems have a clutch setup there too or a mechanical LSD (this is your Audi and BMW stuff). True locking differential and transfer case setup often times called 4WD is a different animal that had been used in SUVs in the past but isn’t really common anymore outside of trucks and maybe a few Jeeps. Probably the 4Runner also. I’d need to look it up.

Mazda lacks ability to lock. Its 100% reactive. That's my only complaint.

I've driven cars with lock for 9 years and found its not required.
While the 2013 cars system was inferior the 2015 car is just as good, in fact better due to preloading of 2% to the rear, with the Xtrails I could at times feel the 4wd take up.

Basically they typically use a clutch based system to send power between axles and then brakes (ABS) to direct power to either side of the axle. Better systems have a clutch setup there too or a mechanical LSD (this is your Audi and BMW stuff). True locking differential and transfer case setup often times called 4WD is a different animal that had been used in SUVs in the past but isn’t really common anymore outside of trucks and maybe a few Jeeps. Probably the 4Runner also. I’d need to look it up.

My Audi quattro had permanent 4wd, you could feel its presence at times going round islands at speed, it also wasn't as good in the snow, if you gave it too much throttle the backend started to come round, I found it disappointing, and you did have to keep the tyre depth within 3mm of each other, there are also around 7 different quattro systems.

With the Q5 now being FWD with AWD on demand.

Permanent locking vs intuitive. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. I've had both and I prefer the CX5 version. If you do major off-road, then the locking is better but otherwise the locking sucks for daily driving, MPG and changing weather & road conditions.

Permanent locking vs intuitive. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. I've had both and I prefer the CX5 version. If you do major off-road, then the locking is better but otherwise the locking sucks for daily driving, MPG and changing weather & road conditions.

My jeep had both and I loved it. I really don't see why we cant have both in the cx5 in a light duty sense. It won't be a rock crawler, but why not have the clutch lock it up on command at under 35mph or so?

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...-best-all-wheel-drive-system-for-snow-and-ice

Found this on another site, thought it worth sharing.

"In order to quickly share power with the rear wheels, Mazda employs an electromagnetic activated coupling between front and rear wheels. To avoid a jerky switchover, Mazda runs a small pre-load of power, 2% of total, to the rear wheel."

Thanks for sharing. This article was written when Mazda did their ice academy, which explained their AWD system to the automotive press and took them on test drives. Here's David Coleman's video presentation of the AWD system. At the start of the second video he explains why they send 2% torque to the rear at all times.
Part 1:
https://youtu.be/rPyRCkt1GHw
Part 2:
https://youtu.be/VuqjdcDvncs

Mazda awd also uses sensors such as the windshield rain sensor to determine weather conditions and adjust appropriately

Exactly! For most CUB buyers locking isn’t appropriate. Which is why these intuitive, if that’s what we’re calling it, are becoming ubiquitous. And as was also stated the early generations weren’t great but current systems perform very well.

Unob’s driveway IMHO is an extreme edge case.

Back