Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

And they're going to stop make my cars except for Mustang and 1 other. GG Ford.

I hate to say it, but the mainstream brand you are looking for that is also increasing performance of their cars is Honda. That is, if you can get past their polarizing designs.

This should be a wake-up call for Mazda. Mazda, you cannot be losing performance minded customers to Honda. Need more zoom-zoom to go with along with the luxury refinements.

Honda design far too ugly for my tastes.

Ford actually is the most enthusiast centric atm.

Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Focus RS, Edge ST, Fusion Sport, Mustang (several levels), Raptor, GT.

I would say SHO but that’s dead atm I think.

And probably more coming as they transition to SUV brand. I mean if you want a sporty CUV........

Interesting. I always viewed Ford as that "fix or repair daily" or "found on road dead" car.

Ford actually is the most enthusiast centric atm.

Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Focus RS, Edge ST, Fusion Sport, Mustang (several levels), Raptor, GT.

I would say SHO but that’s dead atm I think.

And probably more coming as they transition to SUV brand. I mean if you want a sporty CUV........
I was thinking more about cars and totally disregarded them since they will stop making cars. But you are right, if looking for a sporty CUV with optional high power engines, then Ford does deliver.

Even just an Escape with the 2.0T is pretty good in that regard. CX-5 is better in a lot of ways but it’s not like the Escape sucks or anything.

Interesting. I always viewed Ford as that "fix or repair daily" or "found on road dead" car.

That was true in the 80's and 90's. All the American car companies have improved quality to be on par or close to the Asian companies.

Agree with jtjh: The Escape is a damn capable CUV that gets no love here in Mazda town. LOL

Most of the ecoboost engines have been good. Generally the people I know with STs that have had issues are far from stock and/or do dumb stuff like WOT pulls in 5th gear on a tune causing lspi and ringland issues. Probably won’t happen stock. Least I have not heard of it.

That being said they done f’ed up on the RS. That engine was fine in the Mustang too so it’s kinda crazy that they did that. Hopefully they learned.......

That was true in the 80's and 90's. All the American car companies have improved quality to be on par or close to the Asian companies.

Agree with jtjh: The Escape is a damn capable CUV that gets no love here in Mazda town. LOL

Fair enough.

Its capable, sure, but it looks like a minivan.

It seems like ecoboost engines found in their trucks are rock solid. Then again people don't mod them crazy in that application.

Every time I wonder why I haven't purchased a Focus RS yet?....Stuff like this reminds me. https://jalopnik.com/why-so-many-ford-focus-rs-owners-are-freaking-out-about-1820280550

You do not want a Focus RS because it is not comfy as a daily driver, not because of the gasket issues. The gasket issues if I'm not mistaken have been resolved and the cars were fixed free of charge to the customer. I mean yeah it still sucks for the customer, but at least they don't pay anything to have it fixed. The drive comfort though would still be an issue. This is why the Focus RS has lost comparison reviews to the Civic Type R twice now (that I know of). Most people with money to purchase a Focus RS, buy a VW Golf R instead if the intent is to daily drive the car.

Tying it back to Mazda. The Mazda 3 is a good looking car, with a wonderful interior and compliant ride. What is missing is a more powerful engine so it can run against the GTI and other sport compact cars.

I had an ST and now have a GTI. While performance wise ST is competitive the
GTI is just a much nicer car to live with. They really do strike a great balance where it doesn’t feel like performance or comfort is being compromised much. With the RS and R it’s an even bigger difference. And this is why I never really seriously considered the RS.

The Honda- I've waited for the Type R to hit the market here since I was a kid. Now they're here,affordable,I've got the cash,but no way can I do it. Too hideous looking and nothing I could do about it,although I'd love to throw 400+hp easily to it and set up the suspension to my liking,I can never get over the looks. It kinda hurts,but all good...

The Ford- It's not even worth talking about all the why nots. Ain't happening,ever...

The VW- Although the R is a pretty little jewel,and a fun little whip,I'll never own another VW,or Audi for the matter. I agree here of the "Mazda should take note" platform here though along the lines of the Reggie,GTI,R model bases...

The Subaru- Woohoo, AWD and a turbo! Decent grunty sound,but like a Mustang,no matter what you do to them,they all sound the same. lol That leads to the cult following,haha,not my cup of tea. The STI is appealing,but the Evo was better...

And finally we have...

The Mazda - Or do we? haha. Although I personally don't like the way they're heading,both looks and powertrain,give me something to compete with the likes of the above,and I'd give it a go,in any form.

Make it happen,haha...

I hate to say it, but the mainstream brand you are looking for that is also increasing performance of their cars is Honda. That is, if you can get past their polarizing designs.

This should be a wake-up call for Mazda. Mazda, you cannot be losing performance minded customers to Honda. Need more zoom-zoom to go with along with the luxury refinements.

No worry of that happening here in Oz land!

Meh...so which car brands are catering to performance these days?

Hyundai's coming on strong with their 'N' cars as well FWIW.

As for the loss of the IRS, I'll take a wait and see approach. If it still handles well and this lends the car more interior space and/or space for a rear dif for AWD...maybe it's not so bad.

Last edited:
You do not want a Focus RS because it is not comfy as a daily driver, not because of the gasket issues. The gasket issues if I'm not mistaken have been resolved and the cars were fixed free of charge to the customer. I mean yeah it still sucks for the customer, but at least they don't pay anything to have it fixed. The drive comfort though would still be an issue. This is why the Focus RS has lost comparison reviews to the Civic Type R twice now (that I know of). Most people with money to purchase a Focus RS, buy a VW Golf R instead if the intent is to daily drive the car.

Tying it back to Mazda. The Mazda 3 is a good looking car, with a wonderful interior and compliant ride. What is missing is a more powerful engine so it can run against the GTI and other sport compact cars.

Ironic because the Civic Type R also has a torsion beam setup...

Back