Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

1.5 is available in, at least pasts of, Europe as well IIRC.

Correct, we have both the 1.5 (with 131hp at 7000 rpm) and the 2.0 (with 160hp) in the MX-5 and the MX-5 RF.
We also have the 2.0 120hp version in the CX-3 and the 3, and it's plenty quick in those cars.

Correct, we have both the 1.5 (with 131hp at 7000 rpm) and the 2.0 (with 160hp) in the MX-5 and the MX-5 RF.
We also have the 2.0 120hp version in the CX-3 and the 3, and it's plenty quick in those cars.

Our CX-3 is 109KW (146HP) for the 2.0L petrol and 77KW (103HP) for 1.5L diesel

Yup I fully expect the 3 to get majorly upgraded as well.

CX-3 just got update with more premium look. The 3 should get it next year.

Might be a bit harder on the Mazda 2 considering it's price point

I expect it will get upgraded as well but probably not as much. And will be above average for class in that regard.

2018 CX-5 is a pretty major update over the 16: isn't even a grand more.

There is a lot more margin at the price point where the CX-5 sits. I think what we’re saying is don’t expect cooled Napa leather seats and sen wood dash trim. I do think it’ll be upscale for it’s class and would be a big upgrade over the current car.

Reh? MSRP on my Black no packages 2014 Touring was 26,660 (inc destination). Just did a build of a no packages black 2018 Touring and its MSRP is 28,490 (inc destination). Almost a $2k difference right there.

Edit: Though I'm willing to bet people might be getting much better discounts to around the same sale price I did ($25.5k) perhaps? Area dealers just weren't dealing a whole lot of discounts around the time I bought mine (2.5L introduced).

Last edited:

Yes but see below.... comment by jthj

There is a lot more margin at the price point where the CX-5 sits. I think what we’re saying is don’t expect cooled Napa leather seats and sen wood dash trim. I do think it’ll be upscale for it’s class and would be a big upgrade over the current car.

What they will do is probably improve space of the 2 (cramped compared to others in its class) and reduce road noise. They might improve ambient feel inside but since they don't sell that many (could be wrong), they might limit what they can do

Just going by reviews I read, not actual numbers. I remember the 17 only went up like $600 or $700.
You can still upscale the 3. I would expect every US model to get the HUD on the higher end models. 2 is discontinued here. I can't imagine the 3 being the only Mazda with no HUD.
Redesign the body. Add some tech packages. Keep a cheap base model.
It can be done.

Back