Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

At this stage, MPS (Mazdaspeed for you guys) is not even on the radar. They've moved away from that and SkyActiv-X is not aimed at reliving past glories I'm afraid :(

I still think this was a mistake. I understand the Gen2 Mazdaspeed3 was juvenile, but it drew people to the brand. Without the rotary cars, what else will draw people to the brand? The Miata can only seat two people. Btw, this post is not really me arguing with you, but it's more of a rant against Mazda.

Guess what cars the previous Mazdaspeed owners are driving these days? They've moved on Focus STs, GTIs, WRXs, Mustangs; all cars that are still in production. If Mazda had a successor to the Gen2 Mazdaspeed3, be it based on the Mazda3 or Mazda6, I would think they would have been able to keep some of those customers. Like I said before, they don't really offer an upgrade path for their customers so they lose a number of them. At least now they have a Mazda6 with the turbo, better late than never I guess. Now they need to put that engine in the CX-5 and Mazda3 (depending on how good the performance of the SkyActiv-X engine will be). If they really want to focus on North America, they then should already know the people here want faster cars.

Last edited:
If the US is a priority, they'd better give us something with POWER real soon. Mazdas have gotten so slow over the last 6 or 7 years that the fun factor is nearly gone. I've always thought of Mazda as kind of a Japanese poor-man's BMW - and I mean that as a compliment - but I'm not sure if I believe they'll ever go that direction again.

For example, check out Laguna Seca's website. See anything different in the last month or so?

I think we do have to remember where Mazda was a decade ago. So if you look at that they managed the divorce pretty well. However, I totally agree with the sentiment that they are making a mistake by abandoning the enthusiast segment. What is Mazda then? Buick?

I definitely agree, finch and jthj. In fact, I happened to come up on a few bucks recently and have about 30k or so to spend on a car. I've driven Mazdas since the 90's but they offer nothing I want right now. Seriously nothing. The 6 is nice, but to me seems like a little too much of an old person's car. We already have a 4runner and don't want to buy another SUV. I want to go around corners fast, and I want my surfboard to fit in the back.

I've been forced to test drive GolfRs and Focus RSs, which both suck, IMO, for different reasons. The EVO FE is gone. The WRX is a Subaru and I'm over those. I'm pretty much out of options.

Last edited:
What don’t you like about the Golf? I’m pretty happy with the GTI so far. I do wish we got the estate/wagon version here like in Europe. Maybe look at a used eclass wagon if you just want something bigger.

So as far as customer retention. I bought a CX-5 last year. This year I bought a VW GTI not replacing CX-5 but I could be considered a non retained customer. Why? There is no speed 3 or anything remotely close. VW GTI is way more mature than its peers. A mature Speed3 would be very good for the Mazda brand here. And it wouldnt cost them that much to build it. Unfortunately as you said they simply arent interested in that. And in that way much like with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto up until recently they are out of touch. Im sure theyll do well selling decent driving crossovers but their enthusiast cred is going to fade away deservedly so.

True
No trucks
No Vans
No Hybrids
No electrics with range extension
No Ford Edge / Murano competition
Also - the 3 is a disaster from practicality standpoint. 6 is a lot more accommodating.

I might still get a 6 as its real world mixed FE is pretty close to hybrid numbers. I am sure I can game 40+ on trips and 35 on a tank.

What don’t you like about the Golf? I’m pretty happy with the GTI so far. I do wish we got the estate/wagon version here like in Europe. Maybe look at a used eclass wagon if you just want something bigger.

I don't like the 40K+ it costs and it's a little small inside for my surfboard. I LOVE that you can get one with a clutch pedal though, and the power is right there.

The Golf AllRoad (AllTrack?) is another one on my list, which looks like a Jetta wagon with AWD. A little underpowered though.

What we really want is a genpee MS3, preferably with awd!

I don't like the 40K+ it costs and it's a little small inside for my surfboard. I LOVE that you can get one with a clutch pedal though, and the power is right there.

The Golf AllRoad (AllTrack?) is another one on my list, which looks like a Jetta wagon with AWD. A little underpowered though.

What we really want is a genpee MS3, preferably with awd!

The Alltrack is more of a cross trek competitor. It’s the 1.8T and sits higher with a bit softer suspension as well.

It’s true VWs are a bit expensive. But I was either going to BMW/Audi or the GTI so it’s all relative I guess. I kinda wish Mazda was that. It just isn’t though when it comes to power trains. There are like still 0 squeaks or rattles on our CX-5 after nearly a year so that’s impressive. The VW does have a couple. And that X3 I had recently did as well.

I still think this was a mistake. I understand the Gen2 Mazdaspeed3 was juvenile, but it drew people to the brand. Without the rotary cars, what else will draw people to the brand? The Miata can only seat two people. Btw, this post is not really me arguing with you, but it's more of a rant against Mazda.

Guess what cars the previous Mazdaspeed owners are driving these days? They've moved on Focus STs, GTIs, WRXs, Mustangs; all cars that are still in production. If Mazda had a successor to the Gen2 Mazdaspeed3, be it based on the Mazda3 or Mazda6, I would think they would have been able to keep some of those customers. Like I said before, they don't really offer an upgrade path for their customers so they lose a number of them. At least now they have a Mazda6 with the turbo, better late than never I guess. Now they need to put that engine in the CX-5 and Mazda3 (depending on how good the performance of the SkyActiv-X engine will be). If they really want to focus on North America, they then should already know the people here want faster cars.

Well said. Here's part of the reason they have a repeat customer retention problem.

And the thing is while some say it’s because Mazda is small and can’t afford to develop sporty models..... I don’t think that’s the case at all. That 2.5T can be retuned and dropped into the 3 with a firmer suspension. Done. That wouldn’t cost them that much to do. And it would make all the difference with their credibility.

We’re not talking about a ground up unique platform sports car. It’s the same formula for GTI, WRX/STi, Si/Type R, ST/RS ect.

They don’t because they don’t want to.

I definitely agree, finch and jthj. In fact, I happened to come up on a few bucks recently and have about 30k or so to spend on a car. I've driven Mazdas since the 90's but they offer nothing I want right now. Seriously nothing. The 6 is nice, but to me seems like a little too much of an old person's car. We already have a 4runner and don't want to buy another SUV. I want to go around corners fast, and I want my surfboard to fit in the back.

I've been forced to test drive GolfRs and Focus RSs, which both suck, IMO, for different reasons. The EVO FE is gone. The WRX is a Subaru and I'm over those. I'm pretty much out of options.

Haven't driven any but the 3 yet but I'm planning on cross-shopping a 3 Sport GT, a 'regular' VW GSW (4Motion) the Elantra Sport GT.

Hyundai also have the Veloster N coming with 275 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque and a 6 speed stick (though it's only FWD (huh)...electric LSD available).

https://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/veloster-n

veloster-n-1-1.jpg

Mazdaspeed was around when Ford had a stake. Since those days are gone (Toyota stake is small at this time), they can only do so much with based on their current size and funds. Hence Mazdaspeed is not on their radar. Besides the money is in SUV's and that's why they have 5 currently in their line up with a 6th (C-XX) on it's way

Mazdaspeed was around when Ford had a stake. Since those days are gone (Toyota stake is small at this time), they can only do so much with based on their current size and funds. Hence Mazdaspeed is not on their radar. Besides the money is in SUV's and that's why they have 5 currently in their line up with a 6th (C-XX) on it's way
No one is disputing this.

We are just making a point for how Mazda is failing to retain that part of their user base.

No one is disputing this.

We are just making a point for how Mazda is failing to retain that part of their user base.

No argument from me either. Would be great if their cars had more power/torque similar to 2.5T or even better.

But the point is Mazda isn't just relying on their user base, they are trying to broaden it. Hence sometimes old features, styles etc are moved aside in order to target new consumers.

No argument from me either. Would be great if their cars had more power/torque similar to 2.5T or even better.

But the point is Mazda isn't just relying on their user base, they are trying to broaden it. Hence sometimes old features, styles etc are moved aside in order to target new consumers.

So it's not really broadening then. It's replacing one with the other.

Back