Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

Would be nice to actually get confirmation of a 2.5L SkyActiv-X as somehow I doubt the 2.0L SkyActiv-X would be suitable for a top spec CX-5

Would be nice to actually get confirmation of a 2.5L SkyActiv-X as somehow I doubt the 2.0L SkyActiv-X would be suitable for a top spec CX-5

See I just think they’re replacing the current 2.5 with the 2.0X so I completely agree on that.

See I just think they’re replacing the current 2.5 with the 2.0X so I completely agree on that.

Don't think it would be able to deal with 1677kg/3697lbs which is the current weight of top spec 2.5L Akera here

Last edited:
But you guys can’t go fast anyway. Don’t worry about it [emoji23]

(ohsnap!) :p

Still, would like decent take off and overtaking performance please and somehow 2.0L SkyActiv-X CX-5 Akera won't do that

Correct but should be better than current 2.0L

Could've sworn I saw a vid/read magazine of 2.0 skyactive engine and the performance (power) was like 90% of the 2.5l skyactiv. Perhaps this could be Mazda's CX-5 mpg model stopgap before providing a hybrid model.

Could've sworn I saw a vid/read magazine of 2.0 skyactive engine and the performance (power) was like 90% of the 2.5l skyactiv. Perhaps this could be Mazda's CX-5 mpg model stopgap before providing a hybrid model.

Haven't seen this anywhere

Haven't seen this anywhere

Here's on vid where the guy comments while driving a 2.0 prototype from 2017. Check out what he say's starting at the 1:12 mark. Says it feels more like the current 2.5 engine. The weight savings helps to minimize the 0-60 difference not to mention improve MPGs a lot and improve cornering vs the 2.5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5P_sACVuxQ

Last edited:
Here's on vid where the guy comments while driving a 2.0 prototype from 2017. Check out what he say's starting at the 1:12 mark. Says it feels more like the current 2.5 engine. The weight savings helps to minimize the 0-60 difference not to mention improve MPGs a lot and improve cornering vs the 2.5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5P_sACVuxQ

"Makes them feel" is one thing but they are estimating torque figure of 170ft/lbs which is still a deficit to current 186ft/lbs. The extra weight loss is for the Mazda 3 which already weighs considerably less than the CX-5. Even if they chop some weight off the CX-5, still won't be enough for the 2.0 SkyActiv-X

Might be the whole 2012/2013 CX-5 again where they initially released it with the 2.0 SkyActiv engine which was not enough and after hearing complaints, Mazda added the 2.5 SkyActiv not long after.

"Makes them feel" is one thing but they are estimating torque figure of 170ft/lbs which is still a deficit to current 186ft/lbs. The extra weight loss is for the Mazda 3 which already weighs considerably less than the CX-5. Even if they chop some weight off the CX-5, still won't be enough for the 2.0 SkyActiv-X

Might be the whole 2012/2013 CX-5 again where they initially released it with the 2.0 SkyActiv engine which was not enough and after hearing complaints, Mazda added the 2.5 SkyActiv not long after.

My guess is the it comes out on the Mazda3 first. Considering the test vehicle is an actual Mazda3. Once developed it should be fairly easy to develop a 2.5 version for the CX-5 to get on par with Toyota's new 2.5 engine.

Other markets outside of the Us could get the 2.0 version BUT this thing runs better on 87 octane.

My guess is the it comes out on the Mazda3 first. Considering the test vehicle is an actual Mazda3. Once developed it should be fairly easy to develop a 2.5 version for the CX-5 to get on par with Toyota's new 2.5 engine.

Other markets outside of the Us could get the 2.0 version BUT this thing runs better on 87 octane.

(iagree) that the Mazda 3 will get it first but currently there's the 2.0 & 2.5L SkyActiv engines and the 2.0L SkyActiv-X has to be good enough to cover both of these.

Autogefuhl did say a 2.5 SkyActiv-X is possibly in the pipeline.

We have the following fuels here:

• Regular unleaded 91 RON (87 Octane)
  • E10 unleaded 94 RON
  • Premium unleaded 95 RON (90 Octane)
  • Premium unleaded 98 RON (93 Octane)

(iagree) that the Mazda 3 will get it first but currently there's the 2.0 & 2.5L SkyActiv engines and the 2.0L SkyActiv-X has to be good enough to cover both of these.

• E10 unleaded 94 RON

Forgot to add that current SkyActiv engines tuned for 91 RON but will accept all fuel types.

• E10 unleaded 94 RON

Mazda is increasing the upcoming Miata's engine output. Same 2.0 Skyactiv with slight tweaks. 181HP and 151LBs Tq. AND 7500 rpm redline AND with increased MPGs. What?!?!

The point being that if they applied the same thing to the current 2.5l and increase HP 20% that would be 222HP. Mazda can take its time with Skyactiv-X to allow it to be more reliable while they merely tweak the 2.5 Skyactiv1 engine to buy some time.

Unfortunately I don’t think it’s that simple. There is a reason 2.0 is a very ubiquitous displacement for a 4 cylinder and you don’t usually see them larger than 2.5.

Unfortunately I dont think its that simple. There is a reason 2.0 is a very ubiquitous displacement for a 4 cylinder and you dont usually see them larger than 2.5.
Agreed. Mazda had to add a balance shaft and other tweaks to SkyActiv-G 2.5L comparing to its original SkyActiv-G 2.0L.

Mazda is increasing the upcoming Miata's engine output. Same 2.0 Skyactiv with slight tweaks. 181HP and 151LBs Tq. AND 7500 rpm redline AND with increased MPGs. What?!?!

The point being that if they applied the same thing to the current 2.5l and increase HP 20% that would be 222HP. Mazda can take its time with Skyactiv-X to allow it to be more reliable while they merely tweak the 2.5 Skyactiv1 engine to buy some time.
They are not going to because if they did, they would not have added cylinder deactivation

Back