Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

Yeah, Masamichi Kogai now is going to be chairman of the board, a big profit collector but no longer be a decision maker. His biggest failure to me is the promise of improving brand's low customer-retention rate to 60% in the US.

IMHO I don't feel Akira Marumoto can do much better than Mr. Kogai based on his performance in the US as the head of Mazda North American Operations. Sales volumes on all models available in the US are down dramatically othe than CX-5. And that's mainly because the overall US sales on compact CUV is up significantly.

I still think he might be involved in the decision making process... behind the scenes

At this stage, MPS (Mazdaspeed for you guys) is not even on the radar. They've moved away from that and SkyActiv-X is not aimed at reliving past glories I'm afraid :(

Last edited:
At this stage, MPS (Mazdaspeed for you guys) is not even on the radar. They've moved away from that and SkyActiv-X is not aimed at reliving past glories I'm afraid :(

Honestly that is sad and part of the reason Mazda is developing into vehicles I am not into.

Sorry Gen 2's don't do it for me..

Honestly that is sad and part of the reason Mazda is developing into vehicles I am not into.

Sorry Gen 2's don't do it for me..

I dunno, a next gen Mazda 'Kai' (3) with rumored AWD and maybe eventually a 2.5L version of the 'X' motor sounds pretty damn appealing to me (drive)(dance)

10955916lpw-10956008-article-jpg_4664897_660x281.jpg

Even better if I can move up in to something a bit bigger Mazda...

New-Mazda-6-Tourer-For-Sale.jpg

So as far as customer retention. I bought a CX-5 last year. This year I bought a VW GTI not replacing CX-5 but I could be considered a non retained customer. Why? There is no speed 3 or anything remotely close. VW GTI is way more mature than its peers. A mature Speed3 would be very good for the Mazda brand here. And it wouldn’t cost them that much to build it. Unfortunately as you said they simply aren’t interested in that. And in that way much like with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto up until recently they are out of touch. I’m sure they’ll do well selling decent driving crossovers but their enthusiast cred is going to fade away deservedly so.

So as far as customer retention. I bought a CX-5 last year. This year I bought a VW GTI not replacing CX-5 but I could be considered a non retained customer. Why? There is no speed 3 or anything remotely close. VW GTI is way more mature than its peers. A mature Speed3 would be very good for the Mazda brand here. And it wouldn’t cost them that much to build it. Unfortunately as you said they simply aren’t interested in that. And in that way much like with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto up until recently they are out of touch. I’m sure they’ll do well selling decent driving crossovers but their enthusiast cred is going to fade away deservedly so.

VW is bigger than Mazda and therefore can do lots more including performance models etc.

Mazda has to priortise more with less resources.

Don't get me wrong, not having performance models is hurting Mazda but they can only do so much

If anything needs improving in the US to improve retention it’s the dealerships. They all seem to be running their own way rather than being on the same page. It’s really hit and miss.

If anything needs improving in the US to improve retention it’s the dealerships. They all seem to be running their own way rather than being on the same page. It’s really hit and miss.

Yea and in my city their is only the one.... almost ruled it out for that reason alone as if we end up having problems with that dealer we don’t have a lot of options. Fortunately we haven’t but I would feel better if there were more than one.

Interesting.

Over here, dealers seem to be OK although I am aware of one dealer that I no longer have any association with

Like the recent CPO discussion is evidence of that. Also my dealer doesn’t use either of the recommended oils (Mazda OE or Castrol). But uses something called Service Pro. I did some googling and it sounds like it’s fine but with other car brands the dealers always used the factory recommended brand.... little things affect perception.

Honestly, things like the GTI are more the exception than the rule (though Hyundai of all companies appears to be giving it a go as well...if a bit more 'boy-racer'). It's actually pretty great that VW understands and at least somewhat, caters to it's core demo of enthusiasts. How many other companies are selling a manual, AWD wagon available with a 6 speed stick In N.A.?!

There's the problem IMO. It's slim pickings out there for those of us who grew up with manual equipped hot hatches and the like but now have a wife, kids and dogs to haul around and maybe want something a bit bigger and more polished now that we're all 'growed up'.

It's one of the reasons I'm even still considering VW despite their generally lower equipment value/dollar and lesser reliability. Most manufacturers are moving ever more to the bland 'middle' in pursuit of their slice of the mass market (not to say VW isn't doing that as well...hi North American Passat). But at least they're still building attainable cars for enthusiasts that DRIVE. The GTI's a hell of a nice car, congrats...wish I could get that motor (or the $#@%'ing TDI) in the wagon (without paying an arm and a leg)...lol

IMO, Mazda would be wise to nourish it's niche there.

Last edited:
Like the recent CPO discussion is evidence of that. Also my dealer doesn’t use either of the recommended oils (Mazda OE or Castrol). But uses something called Service Pro. I did some googling and it sounds like it’s fine but with other car brands the dealers always used the factory recommended brand.... little things affect perception.

Some independance is fine but for crucial things, should follow Mazda requirements

Agree with JR and believe there's no way Mazda is messing up its niche, or will. Come on, the 6?!! Have you heard about this car? Man, I want one. Compared to a "regular 6" it IS a Speed. Getting good reviews. They wont use the name again but I believe they're going to bring a quicker 3 next.
Also agree, Marketing isn't great and I hate the new campaign. Mazda was nowhere on my radar. The reviews were stellar for the 16 5. And Morortrend rating them #1. And. Consumer reports rating every Mazda a Best Pick that year. That's what got me into them. And that look? Gorgeous. I STILL look at my car sometimes and just think "man you're pretty" and smile.
I love the 16 better but the 17-18 are prettier then anything out there at this price.
Re: not seeing them. I'd like to see less of them actually. Freaking everywhere in Cleveland. We love Mazda. I have 3 dealers within 10 miles and SIX WITHIN 50. I see everything: 6s 3s, 2s, Speeds (a couple) CXs, Miata. 9 probably the rarest. See more 7s then 9s.

Last edited:
I hope the new CEO will renew Mazda's focus on safety so that a near-future CX-5 will get the NHTSA 5-star rating and the IIHS Top Safety Pick+ award again.

I hope the new CEO will renew Mazda's focus on safety so that a near-future CX-5 will get the NHTSA 5-star rating and the IIHS Top Safety Pick+ award again.

Not so sure. Elsewhere in the world, it got 5 star results (no downgrade). Only in the USA it got that result.

Not so sure. Elsewhere in the world, it got 5 star results (no downgrade). Only in the USA it got that result.

Right, but...

"In terms of profit and brand, the US is the highest priority," Marumoto said at a press conference shortly after being named as Mazda's new CEO.

If the US is truly "the highest priority" I hope that includes US safety ratings too. :)

Right, but...

If the US is truly "the highest priority" I hope that includes US safety ratings too. :)

They're not going to make changes to the current model which will add extra $$$ to the whole process just to get the USA across the line when it's actually fine everywhere else.

They might do something for the next model though [if it really is that much of an issue] :)

Last edited:
Back