Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

They already 'upscaled' the existing 3 in 2017 IIRC. Though I'm sure the all new 2019 will see this (particularly the sound insulation) taken even further.

They already 'upscaled' the existing 3 in 2017 IIRC. Though I'm sure the all new 2019 will see this (particularly the sound insulation) taken even further.

2019 3 is supposed to be completely different to current 3

They probably need to make the 3 more upmarket from what it is currently.

This going upscale started with the CX-9 followed by the CX-5 and probably will move to other models as well down the track

Anyone who has hung around this forum for any amount of time already knows this, but Mazda did more than just an interior refresh and front fascia/rear bumper refresh on the 6 to go upscale, they changed the suspension and dumped a while new engine in it. That's something they didn't do for the Cx-9 or the refresh for the CX-5, and there has been talk on this thread and others threads around here that all the changes made to the new 6 to go upscale has hurt zoom zoom and fun to drive factor...I was simply responding to that.

I didn't mean any offence by my comment(s).

CX-9 was all new and probably the first model that went upscale.

Yea, First was CX-9, then the CX-5, and now 6. In all cases they went from being below average on noise isolation and probably just average interior to best in class in both. I see that direction continue. They’re basically offering near luxury car refinement as a mainstream brand.

I think it’s welcome as I’ve always preferred a quiet interior and more refined styling. Think more like a European car than say a boy racer Honda.

Yea, First was CX-9, then the CX-5, and now 6. In all cases they went from being below average on noise isolation and probably just average interior to best in class in both. I see that direction continue. They’re basically offering near luxury car refinement as a mainstream brand.

I think it’s welcome as I’ve always preferred a quiet interior and more refined styling. Think more like a European car than say a boy racer Honda.
5 years ago, I would disagree with you. My current self, with a 2 year old toddler riding in the back of my Speed3, would agree that going forward with interior and luxury refinement is a good idea. They just need to make sure to not lose too much zoom-zoom in the process.

I used to only consider cars that are sporty/fast/quick and looks good. After daily driving a Mazdaspeed3 for 5 years now, driving my wife's 2016 CX-5 GT, my dad's 2015 Accord Sport and test driving some SkyActiv Mazda6s, my preferences has already started to change. I'm now looking for a comfy fast car that looks good. Being really sporty and really fast is no longer a priority. I guess I'm getting old, but it looks like Mazda grew up at the same time.

5 years ago, I would disagree with you. My current self, with a 2 year old toddler riding in the back of my Speed3, would agree that going forward with interior and luxury refinement is a good idea. They just need to make sure to not lose too much zoom-zoom in the process.

I used to only consider cars that are sporty/fast/quick and looks good. After daily driving a Mazdaspeed3 for 5 years now, driving my wife's 2016 CX-5 GT, my dad's 2015 Accord Sport and test driving some SkyActiv Mazda6s, my preferences has already started to change. I'm now looking for a comfy fast car that looks good. Being really sporty and really fast is no longer a priority. I guess I'm getting old, but it looks like Mazda grew up at the same time.

That’s why I like he GTI. A good blend of comfort and refinement (maturity) while still being pretty sporty and quick. I like where Mazda is going for sure.

Like you I am changing I suppose which is a big part of why I parted with the Focus ST.

The CX-9 has good power. The 6 just got a major power plant upgrade with a sweet engine that can provide more HP if you run better gas in it. How cool is that? Very imo. I'm sure the CX-5 will get a stronger engine soon too.
I don't see why the 3 couldn't get it as well, if you're willing to pay.
Maybe I'll be disappointed when I finally test drive that 6, but I'm just not seeing this doom and gloom that you all are: fearful of losing our Zoom Zoom.

I would also add I don’t think the Accord is boy racer. It’s fairly classy. Civic tho..... especially type R!

The CX-9 has good power. The 6 just got a major power plant upgrade with a sweet engine that can provide more HP if you run better gas in it. How cool is that? Very imo. I'm sure the CX-5 will get a stronger engine soon too.
I don't see why the 3 couldn't get it as well, if you're willing to pay.
Maybe I'll be disappointed when I finally test drive that 6, but I'm just not seeing this doom and gloom that you all are: fearful of losing our Zoom Zoom.

I like the zoom zoom in my Gen 1. More power is certainly welcome though.

What wasn't welcome or liked by me is the loss of zoom zoom for Gen 2 for the sake of "moving upscale".

But that's just me...

Having driven Gen 2, that tiny loss of power is not even remotely noticable. And honestly at one point I was thinking it somehow felt a bit better on responsiveness to the pedal.

Last edited:
That’s why I like he GTI. A good blend of comfort and refinement (maturity) while still being pretty sporty and quick. I like where Mazda is going for sure.

Like you I am changing I suppose which is a big part of why I parted with the Focus ST.
The GTI is a good example of what Mazda needs to come up with in their Mazda3 lineup. A refined mature car that is fun to drive with good passing power.

I am letting go of my Speed3 in 1-2 years. The GTI is on my list of top 3 cars to replace it, along with the turbo Mazda6 and the Accord 2.0T. I'm even considering just an Accord Sport (pre-2018 model, even with the CVT) and a Mazda6 Touring if I can find a really good deal on them.

Driving my dad's 2015 Accord Sport (CVT) for 3 days was a revelation. While I hated the CVT when going WOT, that car was perfectly fine in every other scenario. The ride comfort was astounding and the car can corner just fine. Passing power I thought was good enough and better than a Mazda6 with the NA 2.5 engine. I was actually surprised at this because I felt like the Accord Sport was noticeably faster than the Mazda6. Passing on the highway, the Accord Sport felt stronger than the Mazda6. Must be due to the CVT staying right in the power band, but I'm not sure. It just felt faster. Of course, that Accord Sport only had cloth seats, did not have blind spot monitors or keyless entry, nor did it have keyless start. It was missing some really nice convenience features. Which is why I think Mazda putting the 2.5T engine in the Mazda6 is a great move, because we get to keep all the cool tech and features offered on the Mazda6, but now it also comes with more passing power.

Having driven Gen 2, that tiny loss of power is not even remotely noticable. And honestly at one point I was think my it somehow felt a bit better on responsiveness to the pedal.

Yup they did some tweaks to the engine to improve responsiveness. Also added that g vector thing.

The GTI is a good example of what Mazda needs to come up with in their Mazda3 lineup. A refined mature car that is fun to drive with good passing power.

I am letting go of my Speed3 in 1-2 years. The GTI is on my list of top 3 cars to replace it, along with the turbo Mazda6 and the Accord 2.0T. I'm even considering just an Accord Sport (pre-2018 model, even with the CVT) and a Mazda6 Touring if I can find a really good deal on them.

I went with the Autobahn GTI so it has all the bells and whistles and I’m very happy with it. Definitely a little pricey but I was cross shopping to Audi and the like to get what I wanted as far as driving dynamics, power, and refinement. It’s not so far off from what you’re looking at though and those are nice choices. For me I also wanted to stick to a hatch. Too bad they don’t offer something comparable in the because imo the Mazda 3 is gorgeous! Not that the GTI isn’t good looking.

Definitely check out the latest infotainment from VW. IMO it’s best in class.

I am definitely the type to gun it when the light turns green and seeing the difference in acceleration between Gen 1 and Gen 2 in that one video that got posted a while back showed quite a difference.

That's really been my only concern on the zoom zoom front. Despite your "feel" it very obviously went down, not up/same looking at it from the outside.

Last edited:
To me both gens just aren’t a quick off the line vehicle. It needs 70 more hp in my opinion. So I just don’t see that as a significant enough to say it lost zoom zoom in that regard when it never had it.

Back