Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

The Jalopnik reviewer was just expecting more out of the car and was really biased toward having a manual transmission. It would have been helpful if he made some comparisons in the review. Like how is the turbo Mazda 6 not as good as say the new Accord 2.0T, or the Camry V6, or a 3 series or an A4. Even compared to the NA Mazda6, the only thing that separates them is that the NA Mazda6 was more fun with a manual transmission. Like when he was complaining about not being able to link corners when driving back roads. It's definitely going to be more boring in an auto trans car, because all you do is steer.

The problem with Mazda's 6-speed auto is that the gears are too tall. You can go from something like 10 mph all the way past 60 mph in just 2nd gear. If I'm not mistaken, you can go all the way to 80+ mph in just 3rd gear. When you go WOT and the car only shifts once before you have to back off, because you're over the speed limit or you're already catching up to some other cars, that is not fun. This is where cars with manual transmissions are more fun. Usually the manual transmission cars have gearing with closer ratios and you can bang 1-2 shifts while going WOT before you have to stop. I don't think the turbo Mazda 6 is a slam dunk for Mazda, but it seems like people will have to test drive one to form their own opinion of it.

Ding ding ding! I loved winding out our 4 cylinder 2005 6 with 5 sp manual. With 160 hp It wasn't even near the fastest car, but driving it higher up in the RPMs was near bliss.

A high low end torque imitation diesel just doesn't sound like a drivers car to me. Great for highway cruising, but not corners and back roads. And that's where Mazdas often shine(d).

For sure in mainstream. The Accord and Camry don’t look great to me. I really like the A4 though and I think it will age well like the Mazda as well. I think Camry is going to be dated very fast.

Yup. Audis somewhat reserved styling will help it age very well.

I didn't mean the suspension is soft. The suspension for the 2018 Mazda6, based on reviews, is almost as good as the german luxury sedans. A good balance between compliant and firm. When I say soft, I mean soft overall from a performance perspective. If you go through the reviews for the Accord 2.0T, the Camry V6 and the new turbo Mazda6, you'll come to the conclusion that the driver's car out of the three, is surprisingly the Accord 2.0T. The 2018 Mazda6 is the "affordable luxury" choice.

And maybe that's where they are targeting the 6. Accord and Camry here are not considered drivers cars.

Ding ding ding! I loved winding out our 4 cylinder 2005 6 with 5 sp manual. With 160 hp It wasn't even near the fastest car, but driving it higher up in the RPMs was near bliss.

A high low end torque imitation diesel just doesn't sound like a drivers car to me. Great for highway cruising, but not corners and back roads. And that's where Mazdas often shine(d).

Yeah see this was my concern too.

6 spd auto is butter. Channels power in a very linear fashion and has a converter lock from 2-6 gears. More torque than the 2.0T and it comes on confidently.

Drive this car. I was impressed.

[/COLOR]

If I am not mistaken, it has class leading torque (petrol engines that is)

High low end torque is fine for everyday city commuting as well.

Considering most drivers would only use do city and highway commuting, the bulk of the owners will be fine with this engine set up.

Yeah see this was my concern too.

So CD- where do you see yourself going in 10 years after your CX5 goes caput? You don't seem fond of most of the entire automobile line up sans a Miata.

I know the landscape will be quite different by then, but any rough idea?

I ultimately don't care if Mazda chases the almighty dollar, as I'm not beholden to any Auto company. But it would be nice if they tried to retain some of the customer base that stuck with them through the rough earlier years.

Each to their own.

Besides all this is not going to matter that much as the 6 sales will continue to be small compared to the CX-5 & 3.

The interior, in particular is quite an advancement for a refresh. Outside, however, I see too much of the 2014 car in the profile and hard points. I'm sure the next generation will be a stunner.

Each to their own.

Besides all this is not going to matter that much as the 6 sales will continue to be small compared to the CX-5 & 3.

The CX3 is a dud. Even the outdated 6 sells at ~3 times the volume of the CX3.

You don't need to be a corporate shrill towards those of us who have owned Mazdas for many years prior to this upmarket move. They're trying to be what Infiniti was 15-20 years ago. But at least Infiniti offered exciting engines and drive trains.

So CD- where do you see yourself going in 10 years after your CX5 goes caput? You don't seem fond of most of the entire automobile line up sans a Miata.

I know the landscape will be quite different by then, but any rough idea?

I ultimately don't care if Mazda chases the almighty dollar, as I'm not beholden to any Auto company. But it would be nice if they tried to retain some of the customer base that stuck with them through the rough earlier years.
No idea. The Mazda of today does not feel like the same Mazda that appealed to me when I bought my CX-5.

Who knows. I'm only at 66k miles now, so guess well look at what's there when that time comes many many many years from now. :)

The CX3 is a dud. Even the outdated 6 sells at ~3 times the volume of the CX3.

You don't need to be a corporate shrill towards those of us who have owned Mazdas for many years prior to this upmarket move. They're trying to be what Infiniti was 15-20 years ago. But at least Infiniti offered exciting engines and drive trains.

CX-3 sells well here.

Maybe they are doing what Infiniti are doing but difference is Infiniti has Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi behind them with the cash flow. Mazda has none of that so they can only do so much.

Drivetrain for most Mazda's are fine, their engines were and are in some cases fine but I agree that more powerful Mazda engines are needed. Maybe SkyActiv-X is the beginning of this.

X- your market is much smaller than ours.

CX3~ 15-18,000 units per year.
6~ 50-60,000 units per year.

What are the figures for OZ?

X- your market is much smaller than ours.

CX3~ 15-18,000 units per year.
6~ 50-60,000 units per year.

What are the figures for OZ?

Yes we are smaller

Mazda 6 - circa 2500-3000 units per year
CX-3 - circa 17500 units per year
CX-5 - circa 26000 units per year
Mazda 3 - circa 33000 units per year

Oh- and Infiniti/Nissan is neglecting their enthusiast base. Their Z and GT-R models are almost 10 years old now, with no replacements on the horizon. They just let the FX/QX die, despite it being the original "bionic cheetah" sport CUV. It's weird reading old reviews where sport driven journalists can't comprehend the idea of a fast sporty SUV.

Moving towards lame FWD set ups with CVTs. That hasn't gone unnoticed amongst their current owners.

Last edited:
Oh- and Infiniti/Nissan is neglecting their enthusiast base. Their Z and GT-R models are almost 10 years old now, with no replacements on the horizon. They just let the FX/QX die, despite it being the original "bionic cheetah" sport CUV.

That's probably because they are now concentrating on SUV's because that's what most people are buying. Over here, Nissan is now an SUV company. They have very small number of passenger vehicles in their range.

Moving towards lame FWD set ups with CVTs. That hasn't gone unnoticed amongst their current owners.

Thank goodness Mazda is avoiding CVTs

Back