Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

Over here, Mazda Australia doesn't target fleets (special pricing) like Toyota and others do. It's been raised with them but not on in their current plans.

Yes they are behind Toyota in the overall sales race but they are doing just fine at the moment with being number 2.

It’s the same here regarding fleets. Honda also isn’t as aggressive with discounts, not big on fleet, and has a similar reputation to Toyota but generally much stronger resale values.

The feeling I get is that there's a big divide between pre and post-Kodo Mazda in terms of perception. It will take a few more years to build momentum, but I really like the current direction that Mazda is headed. The same could be said of Volvo.

I think that makes sense as a direction for them. But it’s worth noting both Volvo and Lincoln do offer powerful engine options.

Mazda is just now getting on the radar for many buyers and it's hard to pull their attention from the more well known (at least in the US) brands

Yeah, we just bought a CX-5 and this was very true of us -- as was the unexpected surprise of not being able to get a huge discount off MSRP! It seems Mazda occupies this very tiny, odd space in the market right now between excellent mainline brands like Honda/Toyota/Nissan and entry-level luxury brands like Lexus and Volvo. Maybe that's intentional, but it sure seems to confuse the general buying public.

Our case is a good illustration of this, I think. We'd driven a 2006 RAV4 for 12 years and loved it, but as we've moved up a bit in the world we started longing for some bells and whistles. We test drove a mid-trim 2018 RAV4 in our price range thinking we'd love it since we'd had a very bare-bones Base model all these years, but the one we tested felt so bland: lackluster performance, lots of interior plastic, and huge upcharges for packages that add features we wanted. We went home, estimated what we'd probably pay for that RAV4, then set that as our price point for the search. After reading some reviews and tossing things like the Rogue and Outlander, that left us to decide among the RAV4, a Touring level CX-5, a CRV, or a 2-3 year old used luxury SUV (we drove the Lexus RX350 and NXt, Audi Q5, BMW X1, and Mercedes GLA 250 and GLK 350). We ultimately decided on the CX-5 because it felt EXACTLY like one of the used luxury cars in terms of interior quality/comfort, tech, and driving experience, but it was brand new. I'm not sure how to quantify this, but it just felt much nicer than the CRV or RAV4. Having decided on the CX-5, we thought we were in great luck since it was in our price range AND we'd likely be able to negotiate a great price since it's a mainline brand. We've had great success with our previous cars (Toyota and Nissan) haggling with multiple dealers online. Imagine my surprise when after a brutal 3 day negotiation with 20+ dealers over 3 rounds of bidding, the absolute best we could do was a 9% discount off MSRP. So again, Mazda just seems to occupy a weird niche right now...only time will tell where they end up and what it means.

Yeah, we just bought a CX-5 and this was very true of us -- as was the unexpected surprise of not being able to get a huge discount off MSRP! It seems Mazda occupies this very tiny, odd space in the market right now between excellent mainline brands like Honda/Toyota/Nissan and entry-level luxury brands like Lexus and Volvo. Maybe that's intentional, but it sure seems to confuse the general buying public.

Our case is a good illustration of this, I think. We'd driven a 2006 RAV4 for 12 years and loved it, but as we've moved up a bit in the world we started longing for some bells and whistles. We test drove a mid-trim 2018 RAV4 in our price range thinking we'd love it since we'd had a very bare-bones Base model all these years, but the one we tested felt so bland: lackluster performance, lots of interior plastic, and huge upcharges for packages that add features we wanted. We went home, estimated what we'd probably pay for that RAV4, then set that as our price point for the search. After reading some reviews and tossing things like the Rogue and Outlander, that left us to decide among the RAV4, a Touring level CX-5, a CRV, or a 2-3 year old used luxury SUV (we drove the Lexus RX350 and NXt, Audi Q5, BMW X1, and Mercedes GLA 250 and GLK 350). We ultimately decided on the CX-5 because it felt EXACTLY like one of the used luxury cars in terms of interior quality/comfort, tech, and driving experience, but it was brand new. I'm not sure how to quantify this, but it just felt much nicer than the CRV or RAV4. Having decided on the CX-5, we thought we were in great luck since it was in our price range AND we'd likely be able to negotiate a great price since it's a mainline brand. We've had great success with our previous cars (Toyota and Nissan) haggling with multiple dealers online. Imagine my surprise when after a brutal 3 day negotiation with 20+ dealers over 3 rounds of bidding, the absolute best we could do was a 9% discount off MSRP. So again, Mazda just seems to occupy a weird niche right now...only time will tell where they end up and what it means.

You got 9% off MSRP - waited 3 days? What more do you want? There are people who have scored 18% or more but waited for model year end to get that.
Only brands that can do 15% or so for you are
Ford
Chevy
Anything Jeep / FCA minus the wrangler
Nissan
Kia (maybe mid trim and high)
yundai
Fiat
Any non Toyota Hybrid that does not sell well.
Toyota for models which are competing with upgraded car in segment see Rav4 from 17 MY to 18 - 12% off MSRP was doable.
missing few.

Have you seen the Civic Type R? Holy Transformer's abortion.

I don't wanna look at Honda.

Oh I agree with the Type R being juvenile. I mean Honda as a whole. Accord, CR-V, and Pilot are all very well reviewed for example and have good resale. I think that’s in part because Honda doesn’t do deep discounts and fleet sales and generally sells well because people want to buy them.

I agree with you there. Reputation goes a long way and Honda has a great one for reliability.

That said, I'd probably drive a Kia Stinger GT before I bought...any Honda save the NSX. They're all boring.

Honda design language is just (toilet)(blarf)

The other car I saw recently that looked like an abomination was the Toyota CH-R. My god talk about over busy and juvenile design.

haha those things are pretty bad, huh? They look like a Hyundai Velostar and Nissan Juke had an illegitimate child. (rlaugh)

I'll have to forgive my cousin for buying a C-HR... before that, she drove a lemon yellow Fiat 500C. You just can't help some people.

I'll have to forgive my cousin for buying a C-HR... before that, she drove a lemon yellow Fiat 500C. You just can't help some people.

982aebe2d39aaf5c291f64f526166066.jpg

On the "Oh look its some hotshot's Type R, he must think he's cool, I'm going to scratch that paint and give it a dent" richter scale the Type R is an 11.

Yeah in how many years?

Obviously after the 2.0L in the 2019 3. Wouldn't be surprised to see it available as an upgrade in the EOL of this gen CX5 to boost outgoing sales in a 2-3 years. Hard to say if they'll introduce it in the 3 or not around the same time (or sooner). Have to think they'll need an engine upgrade available to help move higher trims by at least the 2nd year (2020) of the new 3.

A 3 with a 2.5L 'X' motor, AWD and a 6 speed would be pretty damn nice.... Even better if I could get that combo in a CX5 and twice as nice in a 6 wagon...even if it had to be 'Outbacked' to appeal with all the mouth breathers in N.A. (rlaugh)

Back