Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

Not designed for fast 0-60 times. But is designed as you say for torque and the feeling of getting the car moving. It should never feel the driver wanting for more power basically. Disappointing in a manner if comparing to other cars in class on paper. Successful if actually driving the car I guess....still haven't seen a broken-in Mazda6 Turbo review yet but the torque-weight ratio makes it feel much faster than it is.

If you look at some of the Mazda 6 forums, the use of 93 octane does help and everyone says it is a refined feeling of speed. There must be a reason why none of the big car mags have reviewed it.

Food for thought:

2.0L turbo 4. Audi/VW has one putting out ~ 300 HP in the S3 and Golf R (and soon to be SQ3). Honda has one in their Type R as well with similar output.
2.3L turbo 4. Ford uses them across their line up, from ~280 HP in the Explorer up to 350 HP in the Focus RS.
2.7L turbo 4. New Chevy engine going into their full sized pick up trucks. 310 HP and 348 TQ.

i think its safe to say most of Mazda's current motors are woefully under powered... excluding the 2.5L T. And despite what a lot of Americans say about desiring fuel efficiency, most prefer power over gas savings when push comes to shove.

As someone who sells Mazda's, let me just say that lack of 'performance' is not what directs customers to other brands. When I lose a customer to another brand it's mostly a compact SUV buyer that decides on a RAV4 or Rogue for whatever reason, or a 1st time buyer going for a Civic (or similar) because there are more factory rebates that make it more affordable. I just had a customer go for an Acura MDX because it felt more upscale than the CX9 Signature.

Mazda is just now getting on the radar for many buyers and it's hard to pull their attention from the more well known (at least in the US) brands

As someone who sells Mazda's, let me just say that lack of 'performance' is not what directs customers to other brands. When I lose a customer to another brand it's mostly a compact SUV buyer that decides on a RAV4 or Rogue for whatever reason, or a 1st time buyer going for a Civic (or similar) because there are more factory rebates that make it more affordable. I just had a customer go for an Acura MDX because it felt more upscale than the CX9 Signature.

Mazda is just now getting on the radar for many buyers and it's hard to pull their attention from the more well known (at least in the US) brands

True statement here in the U.S.

There's tons of new 20-something drivers who's parents never owned a Mazda....and if they did chances are it wasn't a skyactiv Mazda.

Well that's easy. 20% of MSRP or whatever.

I have twins.

One has a 17 civic and the other a 17 CX-3 hatch.

The CX-3 has a nicer Interior than the Civic

Interiors is usually where Honda falls apart for
me. They seem like 90’s Pontiac trying to hard to be “cool”.

A lot of truth here. My sister has a Cherokee because it’s stupid cheap to lease. She thinks our CX-5 is a lot nicer but you won’t see the same lease deals as Jeep so to her it’s just a more expensive car.

Food for thought:

2.0L turbo 4. Audi/VW has one putting out ~ 300 HP in the S3 and Golf R (and soon to be SQ3). Honda has one in their Type R as well with similar output.
2.3L turbo 4. Ford uses them across their line up, from ~280 HP in the Explorer up to 350 HP in the Focus RS.
2.7L turbo 4. New Chevy engine going into their full sized pick up trucks. 310 HP and 348 TQ.

i think its safe to say most of Mazda's current motors are woefully under powered... excluding the 2.5L T. And despite what a lot of Americans say about desiring fuel efficiency, most prefer power over gas savings when push comes to shove.

Mazda's engines aren't woefully under powered. They have enough power for naturally aspirated (NA) engines. If you compare the NA to other makes turbos then yes but that's why they have the 2.5T.

Seems the other makers can only sell there comparable vehicles because of factory rebates. Says alot about the confidence in their products aka not very good hence rebates needed.

Mazda's engines aren't woefully under powered. They have enough power for naturally aspirated (NA) engines. If you compare the NA to other makes turbos then yes but that's why they have the 2.5T.

I think Banjos was referring to a MazdaSpeed type motor...a sport/race inspired engine since he brought in examples of the Type R and Ford RS models. At this point Mazda doesn't have one yet. The new Miata with 180hp would be legit for track purposes. Its legit right now actually. At 180HP the Miata would be hitting mid-high 5's.

I think Banjos was referring to a MazdaSpeed type motor...a sport/race inspired engine since he brought in examples of the Type R and Ford RS models. At this point Mazda doesn't have one yet. The new Miata with 180hp would be legit for track purposes. Its legit right now actually. At 180HP the Miata would be hitting mid-high 5's.

Fair enough and don't think anything like MPS (Mazdaspeed) is coming.

They aren't targetting that market for the foreseeable future.

Seems the other makers can only sell there comparable vehicles because of factory rebates. Says alot about the confidence in their products aka not very good hence rebates needed.

I think it's the way that American buyers are conditioned to expect big discounts from the commodity brands (which Mazda does not consider itself to be). You see it alot in the 'what should I be paying?' threads where it's not considered a 'good' deal unless you pay 20% below MSRP

I think it's the way that American buyers are conditioned to expect big discounts from the commodity brands (which Mazda does not consider itself to be). You see it alot in the 'what should I be paying?' threads where it's not considered a 'good' deal unless you pay 20% below MSRP

(hmm) interesting.

I remember watching a Mazda manager or someone in a decent role say they have moved away from offering special pricing including rebates etc

Was just about to say that. Mazda getting away from big incentives to increase resale. I was offered 4 grand off a Cherokee. With 3.9% interest. When a 28000 car sells for 24 on paper, yea your resale is going to fall.

Back